What's new

High end razors worth the hype?

I think a high end razor is worth the hype, as long as you don't have to sell it to pay for some household expenses later down the road.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
There are gentlemen who buy every high end razor which catches their fancy just to drive it around the block a few times. Some have sufficient wealth to make the expense of a Wolfman or whatever so minor to them it would be comparable to me taking a cough drop. Others try the razor and then sell it; they look at the difference between the price they paid to buy and the amount they get with their sale as rent.

Others are searching for the ultimate RAD Killer of course.

Others are collectors.

My two most expensive new safety razors were gifts from my wife. I suggested both as Christmas presents thinking maybe I'd get one. I was shocked to find both under the tree, but neither of these are what some gentlemen would even consider high end. I've also found some bargains on the BST.

I've been quite unimpressed with relative shaving performance abilities of the few, by my standards, high end razors I've tried compared with much more ordinary razors, but they sure are pretty. The exception might be my three ATT razors; to me they're not jewelry razors, but they are fairly expensive damn good tools.

8:19:18.640.Mango.Hawk.JPG

In terms of performance and the quality of its build and materials a razor I consider upper tier would be the SS DLC Hawk AC. It's handsome to my eye, but certainly not a beautiful jewelry razor. Mine was NOS off the BST at the same price it originally sold for which was I think about $60 (a real bargain; an excellent razor).

Happy shaves,

Jim

proxy.php

Just took a shave with an old $9 shavette i had in one of the pockets of my dop bag.

It turned out to be one of the best shaves i have ever had !!

Im speechless....lol

BBS and i cant stop feeling my face [emoji1][emoji1]

I did not expect it to be this good.

Damn that coate’s cream works wonders for my skin!

I need to order more!

HIGH end shavette [emoji1787]

Just realised this should of been in shave of the day thread. Oh well, posted already lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I had the disposable bucks I would definitely buy a high end razor, hell if I had the money
I would buy a few of them. I have to stick with buying soaps and aftershave as the hit is a little less.
I do enjoy my razorock .84 for 50-60$, a good buy, nicely machined and shaves well. My vote says go ahead
and buy the razor of your choice.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I like some of the high end stuff for fit and finish, but I don't think they necessarily shave any better than some of the tried and true commercial models available for $30 and under.

To give you an example I just recently picked up a open comb guard for my Karve. What a hideous contraption that is. The teeth are simply cut out on a mill. Nice and scratchy if you don't make a straight stroke. Do a stroke where you slide to the side and you scratch your face with the sharp 90 degree teeth. They are deburred and that is about it. Precision, oh yes. Comfortable? Hell no!

Took a file to the buggers, then some sandpaper then a little metal polish. Now they are much nicer on my face. I'm sure the teeth on the comb of the pedestrian Fatip are feel about 1000x better on the face out of the box than the Karve did. So the solid bar Karve is finished well enough, the open comb is 75% complete for me. Really makes me wonder if the designer ever used the thing, or just decided to make an open comb because some wanted them.

To me, Karve with straight bar, worth the money. Open comb, not at all. It lives up to the quality machining, but falls short on functional design.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I like some of the high end stuff for fit and finish, but I don't think they necessarily shave any better than some of the tried and true commercial models available for $30 and under.

To give you an example I just recently picked up a open comb guard for my Karve. What a hideous contraption that is. The teeth are simply cut out on a mill. Nice and scratchy if you don't make a straight stroke. Do a stroke where you slide to the side and you scratch your face with the sharp 90 degree teeth. They are deburred and that is about it. Precision, oh yes. Comfortable? Hell no!

Took a file to the buggers, then some sandpaper then a little metal polish. Now they are much nicer on my face. I'm sure the teeth on the comb of the pedestrian Fatip are feel about 1000x better on the face out of the box than the Karve did. So the solid bar Karve is finished well enough, the open comb is 75% complete for me. Really makes me wonder if the designer ever used the thing, or just decided to make an open comb because some wanted them.

To me, Karve with straight bar, worth the money. Open comb, not at all. It lives up to the quality machining, but falls short on functional design.
I wonder if a trip to the buffing wheel was skipped? Though it sounds like more than that was skipped before shipment!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I wonder if a trip to the buffing wheel was skipped? Though it sounds like more than that was skipped before shipment!
I don't know. It was finished well, just not "complete" to my way of thinking. I like the Karve straight bar just fine. I recently acquired a Schone Open Comb which if made by Fatip, it is a better more comfortable shave than the Karve with the OC plate. True you have to watch the blade alignment which you don't with the Karve, but is that really so difficult? The shave is excellent.

For a person not wanting to spend much money on a razor the Schone is hard to beat. (Assumes we put the actual shave in front of fit and finish)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I don't know. It was finished well, just not "complete" to my way of thinking. I like the Karve straight bar just fine. I recently acquired a Schone Open Comb which if made by Fatip, it is a better more comfortable shave than the Karve with the OC plate. True you have to watch the blade alignment which you don't with the Karve, but is that really so difficult? The shave is excellent.

For a person not wanting to spend much money on a razor the Schone is hard to beat. (Assumes we put the actual shave in front of fit and finish)

The first Schöne I purchased had problems but the vendor replaced it. The second is a very nice razor. I have no understanding of why anyone wouldn't put the actual shave above the fit and finish, but, to me, the fit and finish of the Schöne is very good. I'm not saying it is a jewelry razor like a Wolfman, but, then again, it cost me about $20.

8-31-18.Plisson-Joris.MdC.Jade.640.JPG

The jewelry razor version of the Fatip razors is the Plisson. Again, not jewelry like a Wolfman, but compare the prices. All the Fatips, and razors based on the Fatip, are very good shavers.

Are they as good at shaving your face as a razor costing several times what a Plisson runs? I have no experience to draw on, but I certainly do not see any consensus to that effect.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
The first Schöne I purchased had problems but the vendor replaced it.
Mine came with a scratch in the finish. Deep enough to feel easily. I'm not too bummed, the head is straight and the blade can be lined up straight easily, so I decided that for $20 and solid brass, I'm good. Someday, I might spring for a Plisson with a bone handle. And yes the shave comes first, fit and finish is a bonus and if I spring for that, it has to shave.

If you have the money and want to spend it on a high end razor, go for it. It's not worth it to me, nor do I have the money for a $200 razor. At the end of the day, you're just taking hair off of your face.

Top Bottom