What's new

Hig789's Brush restore thread

Here's two more. Both will be 18mm knots. I still have to clean the hole out on the butterscotch with the dremel when it warms up a little. The black Ever Ready's top screws on the base just like the bone handled one. So it was very easy to get the knot out of this one also. I still have to repaint the letters and the Ever Ready man on the back.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Here are two handles that I finished grinding the knots out of and one solid brass handle that I put on the buffer. I am going to try the brass handles knot out before I decide to restore it or not, it looks to be unused. The butterscotch handle is an Opal pure badger handle, I opened the hole up from 18mm to 20mm maybe a finest set for face lathering. The Ever Ready 150 will probably take a 22mm knot and will more than likely get a silvertip.

proxy.php

New Ever Ready 400PB butterscotch just came today. Looks like this one got caught up in the logo stamper a few extra times, it has "set in rubber" stamped all the way around the handle. Here it is before it's hair cut, the knot is very thin I was hoping it would be in good shape. Need to figure out what knot to put in it.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Nice looking handle...even with the extra stampings! I'd probably use a TGN Finest knot, but that's what I say for everything!

I have a grade a silver tip that will be here tomorrow. Ive got about 5 handles that I could put that knot in so I guess I'll have to order more knots.

Here's a brush I was lucky enough to BIN on eBay. The sellers pictures did not do this brush justice what so ever. It is an Ever-Ready 200.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

It might be a little while I have plenty of handles minus knots but I might just move that one up to the top of the list.

Great work, the handles all the way through this thread look great! I did a couple of brushes several years ago, and I've got a few more to start working on now. I've got a question for you about how you get the black hard rubber collar that a lot of the old brushes have to come out so good. I've had a hard time with that. You mention a buffer - can you tell us a little more? Like a buffing wheel on a bench grinder or a slow speed one like you'd sharpen fine knives with or a drill attachment or.....? With that, what kind of compound do you use? I hope I'm not asking any super craftsman secrets! One thing that you may have found in a brush before all these great ones is that it's not hard to take a big chunk out of that old hard rubber material! Anyway, I'd love to hear any suggestions, and I'll post some pics of my projects too as I start to make some headway.

Here's my buffer and I use the polishing compounds that Lowes sells. Ryobi I think. My buffer is a low RPM, 1725, and to get deep scratches out I use a four sided nail file like my wife uses. The file has everything from coarse to very very fine, then I go to the buffer. You also need to make sure then handle is clean of soap scum before out try to buff it. After all that I use Mothers plastic polish with a old t-shirt for final polish. Good luck I can't wait to see your restores.

Here's a post cleaning picture and I just ordered a 20mm super badger for the butterscotch Opal pictured above.

proxy.php

Top Bottom