What's new

Hig789's Brush restore thread

Here's one I got in the mail today. Made Rite 303. Nice and heavy handle, good heft to it.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Here's is my last brush for a while. I have been pursuing this brush for a while and I finally caught one. Vintage Rooney butterscotch. It's got very nice coloring to it, and a same about the stickers but at least the outlines are there. The hole is about 23mm I am going to open it up enough to take a 24mm. Maybe a silvertip? Grade A silvertip? Super badger? I have a super badger and a grade a silvertip the I still need to use more to see which one I like best.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
I had someone ask me yesterday if I had a thousand brush handles because of how many are in this thread. I have bought and sold many handles so I figured I would take a couple of group shots of what have held onto. Most of these will never leave my collection. Most do not have knots. The next one that will get a knot will be the Rooney. Here they are. all of them are TGN knots.

Left to right

Opal 20mm super badger, Aramis 22mm Finest, Ever Ready 20mm grade a silver tip
proxy.php

Ever Ready 200 swirl 22mm knot, Ever Ready 200 green 22mm knot, Rooney 24mm knot, Plymouth 20mm knot
proxy.php

Made Rite 303 20mm knot, Klenzo B985 20mm knot, Made Rite 200 TC 20mm knot, Ever Ready bone handle 18mm knot
proxy.php

Here's a Rubberset that I found today. The bottom of this brush is almost solid black from age.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Here's a Rubberset that I found today. The bottom of this brush is almost solid black from age.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Nice handle ...I have one of these as well or will have as it is being shipped. Are you planning to start on restoring it anytime soon?

It's already done I just haven't taken any pics. No knot just a bare handle. FYI there is a metal ring in these handles when you get the knot out.

It's already done I just haven't taken any pics. No knot just a bare handle. FYI there is a metal ring in these handles when you get the knot out.

What size knot would you consider using? Does the metal ring interfere with knot depth or diameter? Would love to see some pics when you have a chance!

Whenever possible, I like to remove and discard the metal ring. It doesn't add anything to the handle (they're intended to hold the old knot together) and it's a possible source of corrosion/rust.

Yeah I have removed a few metal rings. I didn't figure they were good for anything and I normally like to open the holes up a little. I'll take some pictures when I get home tonight.

Here's the highlights of a lot that I bought off eBay. These three I will probably keep...maybe. Left is a Made Rite 1000, middle is a Lord Chesterfield, right is a Rubberset. All have very nice swirly Bakelite? handles.
proxy.php

Last edited:
Here's the Rubberset from above polished to a nice mirror finish. And two of the others I got today minus the knots. Ill have to stabilize the one on the right with some epoxy but it held together nicely during knot removal.
proxy.php

That's all my collection consists of now. I sold off everything else except my bone handled Ever Ready.

Found a few new handles today. The small one on the left was going to be the only one I was going to keep after restoring them. But as I was grinding the hole out bigger the bottom just crumbled to pieces in my hand. I was so sad I really loved that handle its the first time I had seen a size 1 handle, most of what you see is either 3 or 4. Here's all four of them including the one in the trash now. All of them are Ever Readys except the trashed one.
proxy.php

Here's today's brushes. I found the little fuller and the ever ready at an antique store and the Stag butterscotch came off eBay.
proxy.php

Top Bottom