What's new

Hig789's Brush restore thread

Very nice handles. It looks like we have the same taste. I have one of those EV150 on the way. :thumbup1:

She was a beauty and I really liked it but it had to go, I wanted to reknot it but I figured it would be a shame to cut out such a nice boar knot. I'm trying to fund me some new hones and a lapping plate.

Great looking handles! On the Erskine, are you going to fill the hollow handle? And what did you use to paint the lettering - whatever it was looks super.

Great looking handles! On the Erskine, are you going to fill the hollow handle? And what did you use to paint the lettering - whatever it was looks super.

It has a thin layer of something(clear plastic) that I am going to use as a shelf and fill the rest of it with RTV. I would like to add some weight but it is just too big of a handle to fill. I just used my wife's craft paint. You brush it on and wipe it off a few times. Then I just hit it with some Mothers plastic polish to clean up the existing smeared paint.

It has a thin layer of something (clear plastic) that I am going to use as a shelf and fill the rest of it with RTV ...

I was hoping for the same with mine, which is a "Hess Hair Milk Lab" handle, but instead there was only a piece of paper used as a shelf for the knot! Now I have a huge, completely empty handle. I found a wine cork that fits perfectly through the narrow part of the handle and goes all the way to the bottom, and it doesn't add much weight. So I think I'm going to seal that in using RTV, then build a small platform for the knot with some cut up cork (held together with RTV), then finally set the knot with RTV. The knot size is 28mm and I'm thinking the handle could use a little more heft anyway, as it is quite light completely empty. Any thoughts on my plan?

I was hoping for the same with mine, which is a "Hess Hair Milk Lab" handle, but instead there was only a piece of paper used as a shelf for the knot! Now I have a huge, completely empty handle. I found a wine cork that fits perfectly through the narrow part of the handle and goes all the way to the bottom, and it doesn't add much weight. So I think I'm going to seal that in using RTV, then build a small platform for the knot with some cut up cork (held together with RTV), then finally set the knot with RTV. The knot size is 28mm and I'm thinking the handle could use a little more heft anyway, as it is quite light completely empty. Any thoughts on my plan?

The wine cork/cut-up cork sounds like a good, easy solution. If you want to add a little weight, a couple of coins, washers, etc. dropped in before the wine cork would give it some nice heft in the base, which would help it stand upright better.

The wine cork/cut-up cork sounds like a good, easy solution. If you want to add a little weight, a couple of coins, washers, etc. dropped in before the wine cork would give it some nice heft in the base, which would help it stand upright better.

+1 everything else sounds good I might have to do this to mine since it is so light.

... I might have to do this to mine since it is so light.

I've thought about that, too, I even thought about putting some lead shot or BBs into the bottom to help balance it. The problems I see are getting the weight balance right - and I can't quite figure a way to test it without having everything glued into place first - and also how to keep the weighted items from rattling around. On that latter issue, I think it would work to coat everything with RTV and hopefully that wouldn't give way at any point in the future.

I would do a dry run first and build the washer and cork combination up almost to the depth you would want to set the knot. I would leave it a few mm shy of where you want the depth of the knot to be to allow for a little adjustment. When you got it how you want it I would RTV every thing together outside of the handle. after it has set up for a day or so, put some RTV on the bottom and stick it in the handle. This way you can make sure everything is securely attached together.

Here's the brushes that I came home with today.
proxy.php

The second one from the right has the Ever Ready man on the back of it. I love this one.
proxy.php

Here's a little Bakelite Made Rite 200TC that I won from the bay. I would guess this would have been a travel brush I just polished the handle up for now but I would like to reknot it eventually with a boar knot. Any suggestions?
proxy.php

proxy.php

I don't know...looks pretty good as is. I like the look of boar in that handle. Maybe reknot with a UK boar if the original is too floppy when wet?

Here's today's brushes. The Ever-Ready is a 100. But the one on the right is a lucite bottom and an plastic top. The top of this one is exactly like my Ever-Ready 200 but it has no makes mark on it, only a M with a circle around it, U.S.A., Sterilized, and Set In Rubber.

proxy.php

Here's one I started removing the knot on today, the bottom part of the handle is bone the top is hard rubber. I found out last night that the top unscrewed so this made knot removal very easy. I drilled from the back and just pulled the rest of the bristles out, took about 5 minutes. I gave the bone a good rub with mineral oil to rehydrate it, I was going to sand it back down to clean white bone but I like how it looks. I used mothers to polish the top. I has a 18mm hole right now but it has a lip around the hole and I am going to enlarge it as much as I can, probably to a 22mm. Going to put a silver tip in it.

Before
proxy.php

After
proxy.php

proxy.php

Here's today's brushes. The Ever-Ready is a 100. But the one on the right is a lucite bottom and an plastic top. The top of this one is exactly like my Ever-Ready 200 but it has no makes mark on it, only a M with a circle around it, U.S.A., Sterilized, and Set In Rubber.

proxy.php

Is that EV 100 blue or black? Very nice.

Top Bottom