What's new

Henry .22 Lever Action

Walnut and blue will hold up just fine with use. A wipe down with an oil cloth, Rig rag, or silicone cloth is all a blue gun needs.

This is a mid 60's 39A that has been carried and used a lot. The wood and metal are pretty darn nice. It's been used, just not abused.

20210729_105440.jpg

Walnut and blue will hold up just fine with use. A wipe down with an oil cloth, Rig rag, or silicone cloth is all a blue gun needs.

This is a mid 60's 39A that has been carried and used a lot. The wood and metal are pretty darn nice. It's been used, just not abused.

View attachment 1303762
Best part about the finish on Marlin walnut stocks is when you start to get the dark areas where your hand grips them. That along with the way the bluing wears makes me love the old guns. I don’t think any other guns look better when they show some ”patina.”

I don't know if Remlin levers are walnut or if they have a bullseye if they are.

JM walnut Marlins had a bullseye so you could spot a Marlin on the rack in the store.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 Got one to shoot Colibri 22 rounds.

Need to get it fixed. When the finish came off the Zamak receiver, I just used black grill paint.

But when the tube magazine follower broke, I just starting using the 10/22 for same crows, squirrels etc.

Think they'll send me the part.

AA

🤔 Within five minutes of sending an email to Henry, I had a response... Not long after, an email notification that the part had shipped. Under warranty, no proof needed.

I still wish the receiver was steel, but that's pretty good customer service right there.

Gun has a decent 4x scope and I use it specifically for Colibri powder-less ammo.... Very quiet and practical target/rat control. Trigger is actually excellent.

AA

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Does anyone have any experience with these rifles?

I want a cheap rifle to plink with and I have always wanted a lever action rifle. I watched a Hickok45 video of the Henry and he enjoyed it. I like that it shoots .22 LR and can also shoot shorts. The salesman at Bass Pro gave me some bad info and said it can only shoot shorts. Made me second guess myself and I ended up walking out without it. I was pretty annoyed because I know I heard Hickok say it could shoot both too. Or does anyone recommend another lever action .22 for an above beginner level shooter?
My neighbor has a Henry .22 and I’ve shot it. Beautiful rifle. I love it and may one day get one. We shot LR but it will take shorts and longs as well.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 OK, my faith in Henry Repeating Arms is restored.

With no proof of purchase of my lever 22, they sent not just the broken follower, but a whole new magazine tube assembly... Which slid right in there perfectly.

They have beefed up that orange plastic follower, and the tube cap is just a little more robust.

Clearly good people and excellent customer support. Bravo! 🤣 Or maybe Yee-hah, since it's western (🤔 via Brooklyn).

AA

Such a great thread with great information. I see that some people don't want to get a rifle with a zamak receiver. That to me is a non issue because I'm just going to shoot cans, paper targets, and the like. I'm not taking the rifle to combat. Ruger took over Marlin, so maybe they will start rolling out their lever actions now that they are under new management. It's something to consider.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Did you order them recently? Midway shows them discontinued. I haven't seen them on eBay in a while, either.
There is a Moderator on one of the Marlin Forums who makes them. I ordered two, they are supposed to be just like the OEM.

Love mine.

I've had the most basic H001 for several years. Bought it used (barely used at that) for like $125. I spent another $10 to upgrade the sights. It's been absolutely reliable using even the cheapest of ammo. I wouldn't use it for precision 22lr shooting, but for basic plinking and shooting tin cans, it's a blast.
+1 loved mine too! The Henry is a fun little rifle, and mine was super accurate at 50 yards for plinking and some rabbit hunting. I also changed out the sights for a few bucks. When a nephew turned 21 I gave him the choice of my 22 rifles, and he chose the Henry as his gift. It's now happily living in rural Massachusetts.

Yes, the Henry is likely not quite as solid as Marlin or Browning, but the price was right back when I bought it. And it held up just fine. I used it for a decade with shorts, a few longs, and long rifle cartridges, it worked well with each, but seemed to really enjoy eating shorts. Lots of fun and many, many rounds went through it, between my use and all the kids we let shoot it. It's a great gun for use in teaching safe muzzle direction- with the magazine loading and cocking. It's also so super easy to shoot and quite accurate, so success is readily achievable.

Top Bottom