What's new

Henry .22 Lever Action

Does anyone have any experience with these rifles?

I want a cheap rifle to plink with and I have always wanted a lever action rifle. I watched a Hickok45 video of the Henry and he enjoyed it. I like that it shoots .22 LR and can also shoot shorts. The salesman at Bass Pro gave me some bad info and said it can only shoot shorts. Made me second guess myself and I ended up walking out without it. I was pretty annoyed because I know I heard Hickok say it could shoot both too. Or does anyone recommend another lever action .22 for an above beginner level shooter?

I have one of the 24 inch ones that's threaded for a suppressor. It's a hoot through a GSL Woodland can, way quieter than any of my pellet guns. The hollowpoint Winchester subsonic ammo occasionally will miss feed/miss the chamber and get wadded up but Federal automatch bulk ammo works very nicely. Nice rifle for dollar spent, I think.

Love mine.

I've had the most basic H001 for several years. Bought it used (barely used at that) for like $125. I spent another $10 to upgrade the sights. It's been absolutely reliable using even the cheapest of ammo. I wouldn't use it for precision 22lr shooting, but for basic plinking and shooting tin cans, it's a blast.

Henry's .22s will shoot .22lr. The rifles receiver are made of Zamak, not steel.

You ask for a lever recommendation. I recommend a Marlin 39A. They are well made and very accurate for a lever gun. They are nice blue steel and walnut. A 39A is a full sized gun. Marlin no longer makes the 39A, so you will have to buy used. A used 39A will cost more than a new Henry. However, you will have a better built rifle that will appreciate in value as time goes on.
IMAG2299_2.jpg

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
Henry's .22s will shoot .22lr. The rifles receiver are made of Zamak, not steel.

You ask for a lever recommendation. I recommend a Marlin 39A. They are well made and very accurate for a lever gun. They are nice blue steel and walnut. A 39A is a full sized gun. Marlin no longer makes the 39A, so you will have to buy used. A used 39A will cost more than a new Henry. However, you will have a better built rifle that will appreciate in value as time goes on.
View attachment 1299764
I agree with you that the Marlin is a superior gun, but the Henry's are readily available and priced right and they work. The worst part of the Henry IMO are the sights. A decent peep sight goes a long way.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 Got one to shoot Colibri 22 rounds.

Need to get it fixed. When the finish came off the Zamak receiver, I just used black grill paint.

But when the tube magazine follower broke, I just starting using the 10/22 for same crows, squirrels etc.

Think they'll send me the part.

AA

Handled a Henry once, it felt slicker than my two Marlin's. It has been a few years so cannot remember much else to comment on. If it is not all steel, I would pass and go for a good Marlin, they are out there. My one standard is one my father bought for me back about 1952, the other a couple of Mounties, one I purchased off Gunbroker about 3 years ago, the other I lucked into at a local gunstore.

The lack of steel receiver has always stopped me. I would look for the Marlin if I were in the market for a lever 22.

Holy cow! 1000 for a Marlin lever 22….

Browning makes one that is truly beautiful for like 650-700 that I always thought was a bit much for a lever 22.

ylekot

The lack of steel receiver has always stopped me. I would look for the Marlin if I were in the market for a lever 22.

Why? Mossberg shotgun receivers are aluminum and withstand way higher pressures than a .22 will ever create. That Zamak or whatever it is will work and hold up just fine and they have, for years. The old deep blued steel is beautiful but requires greater care and preservation or it begins to look cruddy in short order. Henry's are not heirloom collector guns they are tools and they work just fine.

Why? Mossberg shotgun receivers are aluminum and withstand way higher pressures than a .22 will ever create. That Zamak or whatever it is will work and hold up just fine and they have, for years. The old deep blued steel is beautiful but requires greater care and preservation or it begins to look cruddy in short order. Henry's are not heirloom collector guns they are tools and they work just fine.
Never liked Mossberg’s either. I love the look of blued steel on a long gun. Just a preference. I’m sure they work wonderfully. I just would rather save up and get an all steel rifle. Just my biases. Enjoy whatever you like though.

ylekot

Somethings in life are just worth spending a little more money for. For me, one of those things is guns. I paid $525 for that Marlin in the pic above about 5 years ago. It is a 99% gun. Based on what they are selling for now, I think I made a good investment in that one.
A good investment for sure! I do enjoy pretty wood stocks and beautiful deep bluing, as long as someone else is maintaining them. I personally have never bought anything with the thought of reselling. And I don't want guns I'm not willing to drag through the field in the rain or snow. My guns are ugly but they work and that's what counts for me.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
A good investment for sure! I do enjoy pretty wood stocks and beautiful deep bluing, as long as someone else is maintaining them. I personally have never bought anything with the thought of reselling. And I don't want guns I'm not willing to drag through the field in the rain or snow. My guns are ugly but they work and that's what counts for me.

This is pretty much my philosophy also. :)

I have a hard time choosing bluing over parkerizing.

Top Bottom