What's new

Handkerchiefs

A hundred years ago, when my mom and dad were busy kitting me out for boarding school, one of the items on the list was a dozen white cotton handkerchiefs.

I have somewhat mixed emotions when it comes to the good old cotton hankie. There was a time when no self-respecting gentleman (or lady) would leave the house without a clean handkerchief tucked into a purse, pocket or sleeve. But those days are long gone.

From the perspective of basic hygiene, it does seem somewhat ridiculous to carry around a piece of cloth filled with semi-congealed mucus. For the obvious purpose of blowing one's nose - it appears that the disposable Kleenex tissue is a far superior choice. As long as the supply of tissues exceeds the demand for nose-cleaning, then the tissue is always going to beat the cotton. There is always the environmental argument to be made - that a handkerchief can be washed many times, while a paper tissue kills trees and ends up in a landfill. Although I'd be as hesitant to throw a used hankie in with the rest of my laundry as I would to mix in a dirty diaper.

Of course, a handkerchief has other uses: It can serve as an ad-hoc bandage, sling, or (in an unfortunate British stereotype) a sun hat. They can be useful for polishing eyeglasses, or as an impromptu carry sack.

The other use of the handkerchief - so serve as a decoration for a gentleman's jack breast pocket - I believe specialty silk pocket squares are vastly superior.

Do any of you folks still carry a cotton handkerchief? Thoughts?

i must admit that i seldom actually use it for the intended purpose, but i nearly always carry one

nice to be able to offer a lady a hankie when needed

and in the midwest heat and humidity, it's handy to blot the perspiration from my forehead, if nothing else

I carry one every day. Mostly for the enviromental aspects you mentioned, but it's also easier on the nose than most tissues (except for the ones with lotion in 'em which I prefer during a cold or bad allergy attack).

I carry one every day, seldom have I ever used it for nasal cleaning. However, its good to know its there if I need to. However, the multi-purpose handkerchief comes in handly for everything, cleaning messes, poslishing whatever, extending to a greatful lady who may be tearing up, the list goes on and on...

I carry one every day. White for dress, blue or red with jeans for all the reason adove. You will after awhile people who know you exspect ytou to have one.

I never leave home without one. I have pulled it out many times to offer to my mother, girlfriend, etc. I have some monogrammed that I carry in rotation. It's a gentleman essential.

My dad taught me the importance of carrying one, and his dad taught me the importance of carrying two.

I carry two...one for me and one for any other circumstance where you might need to offer a clean one to someone else. In my grandfathers mind that would likely have meant to someone of the fairer sex!

I never leave home without one. I have pulled it out many times to offer to my mother, girlfriend, etc. I have some monogrammed that I carry in rotation. It's a gentleman essential.

I've noticed a common theme with those that do carry one. They have it on hand to offer someone else who may need it at a time. Maybe it's just me but my first reaction would be "ugh, I don't want/need a used hankie!"

I've noticed a common theme with those that do carry one. They have it on hand to offer someone else who may need it at a time. Maybe it's just me but my first reaction would be "ugh, I don't want/need a used hankie!"

That's what washing machines are for. :rolleyes: I only offer it to people I love. I would never hand my hanky to a stranger.

I haven't carried a handkerchief in years. My grandfather always had one and my dad carried one for quite some time, but probably not in the last 15 years. I've never carried one as an adult. I do remember being a kid and carrying one when I was sick. By the time the school day was over it would be riddled w/ wet, runny snot that it would make my pants pocket wet...yuck!!!

My dad always has and still does.

I have to admit...I never liked the idea of carrying it AFTER using it once, or using it a second time.

I know with tissues, if I have a cold, there are times where I really load them up and even need a few to complete a single blowing...I couldn't imagine putting that into my pocket.

I carry two. Also a sandwich bag for when they get "wet." Nothing makes a more foul impression than a wet spot in the front pocket.

True, most people look askance when offered a hankie but I keep mine pressed so they do not look used. Offering a used hankie is just tacky.
I generally offer a hankie to a lady and say "it's clean", smiling as I do so. Believe it or not, it is a welcome thing to most ladies and I don't expect them to give it back. In my experience the act also makes a positive impression.

Kleenex get used at home mostly and I do keep a box in the car. There just aren't enough hankies in reach to cope with allergy season.

I carry a plain white handkerchief every day. I use it for everything but nasal cleansing unless there's an emergency. In many ways its like a good pocket knife. You can find all kinds of uses for it.

For those of you who carry, is it me or have quality 100% cotton white handkerchiefs and (red or blue) bandanas become hard to find? You can still find white handkerchiefs, but most are rather thin and try finding a good ol' Made in the USA bandana amongst the sea of Made in China. I could stand some replacements.

I do remember being a kid and carrying one when I was sick. By the time the school day was over it would be riddled w/ wet, runny snot that it would make my pants pocket wet...yuck!!!

This is my memory. I had one because not all the teachers kept tissues in their classrooms. But oh, the snot. It's tissues now for me.

Mr. Clean raises a good question. Where do you guys get your handkerchiefs? I get mine at Bloomingdale's and find them to be good.

Top Bottom