What's new

Should a gentleman carry a handkerchief ?

I am starting to be intrigued with the idea of carrying a microfiber cloth. The old idea of a gentleman always carrying a handkerchief was not that a handkerchief was fancy, but that it was useful. And that, basically, a gentleman should be useful--should know what time it was, should be able cut a string or an apple, be able to blow his nose on something other than his sleeve. A microfiber cloth might not work as well to dry a woman's tears, but it might be better for everything else.

I would certainly say that if one has a cold one should plan ahead and bring tissues and not depend on the same handkerchief to last all day!

A corollary question, if I may?

If a gentleman does carry a handkerchief, but doesn't use it during the course of his day, may he carry the same rag the following day?

Absolutely not!

I don't carry a hanky, for the same reason that I don't carry around wads of used toilet paper. Some things should be thrown away.

Carrying a hanky around is like keeping jars of your picked scabs and fingernail clippings. Where does it end? Continue down that path, and you're collecting organs and fetuses in formaldehyde. This is exactly how Jeffrey Dahmer and that lot get started. If hitchhikers start to go missing from the area, I'd be looking closely at the guy who carries a hanky.

In short - no - some things have improved since 1930 - use a Kleenex, and throw it in the garbage immediately afterwards.

<If a gentleman does carry a handkerchief, but doesn't use it during the course of his day, may he carry the same rag the following day?>

I think I would.

This post is in regards to the use of "gentleman" and not a judgement to those who choose to use a handkerchief.

I honestly don't think a person will turn any heads and have someone think, let alone comment "Wow, what a gentleman" for using a hanky today. I really don't. Often times I wonder if people confuse the practices of the gentlemen of days gone by with the simple notion of being a modern day gentleman. As in, you have to do what the old-timers did to constitute as "being a gentleman". To me, that's complete hooey! If I were around in the days of handkerchiefs, you bet I'd be carrying one though. I would have thought it "gentlemanly" to do so. I would have thought it convenient as it was pretty well the most dignified and somewhat sanitary option of the times. I tend to agree with @con in that improvements have been made in sanitary practices and control of the spreading and festering of germs. Such as disposable facial tissues. If I were to carry (and use) a hanky today, I'd be washing my hands every time I handled it. Then I'd be drying my hands with the exact same paper towel that eliminates the requirement of a hanky in the first place. It seems too redundant to me.

That said, my grandfather was a handkerchief advocate until his dying breath. He had a collection, as a matter of fact. The memories of him using a handkerchief aren't fond to me, however, whenever I think of a handkerchief, I am always reminded of my grandfather and I am fond of that. He was the most gentlemanly individual I have ever known. He is what set the bar of "being a gentleman" for me.

So, in answer to the question "Should a gentleman carry a handkerchief?", no. At least I don't think so. They shouldn't feel the need. A gentleman can carry one if they so desire, all the same and be no less of a gentleman.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
:)

e31.jpg

The last time someone commented when I used a handkerchief was my BIL. He laughed, "I thought my father was the only one who carried one of those." I folded it, neatly, and put it back in my pocket.

I think the hanky I'm using today radiates class. It is a Wade & Butcher that was recently honed and polished up. You will note the slight pitting, yet softness this beauty radiates. Only a true gentleman's hanky if I say so myself.

20170809_171242.jpg

This post is in regards to the use of "gentleman" and not a judgement to those who choose to use a handkerchief.

I honestly don't think a person will turn any heads and have someone think, let alone comment "Wow, what a gentleman" for using a hanky today. I really don't. Often times I wonder if people confuse the practices of the gentlemen of days gone by with the simple notion of being a modern day gentleman. As in, you have to do what the old-timers did to constitute as "being a gentleman". To me, that's complete hooey! If I were around in the days of handkerchiefs, you bet I'd be carrying one though. I would have thought it "gentlemanly" to do so. I would have thought it convenient as it was pretty well the most dignified and somewhat sanitary option of the times. I tend to agree with @con in that improvements have been made in sanitary practices and control of the spreading and festering of germs. Such as disposable facial tissues. If I were to carry (and use) a hanky today, I'd be washing my hands every time I handled it. Then I'd be drying my hands with the exact same paper towel that eliminates the requirement of a hanky in the first place. It seems too redundant to me.

That said, my grandfather was a handkerchief advocate until his dying breath. He had a collection, as a matter of fact. The memories of him using a handkerchief aren't fond to me, however, whenever I think of a handkerchief, I am always reminded of my grandfather and I am fond of that. He was the most gentlemanly individual I have ever known. He is what set the bar of "being a gentleman" for me.

So, in answer to the question "Should a gentleman carry a handkerchief?", no. At least I don't think so. They shouldn't feel the need. A gentleman can carry one if they so desire, all the same and be no less of a gentleman.
I guess then that you wash your hands every time you shake hands, drive your car, write on your mobile or tablet or pc, handle money, open doors, push elevators buttons, use ATM's, pay with a card and are asked to enter your PIN code... And the list goes on and on...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I guess then that you wash your hands every time you shake hands, drive your car, write on your mobile or tablet or pc, handle money, open doors, push elevators buttons, use ATM's, pay with a card and are asked to enter your PIN code... And the list goes on and on...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Huh?

I gave an answer/opinion to whether a gentleman is required to carry a hanky. I never said a gentleman can or can't with any judement whatsoever. Did you read my post at all?

If he needs to punch out a cad or bounder, then the gentleman can offer a handkerchief for him to mop up his bloody nose.

Now that's classy. :thumbup1:

Neat concepts they have there. Possibly too rich for my blood, or should I say, snot, but I see that someone is buying them, as several of their items are sold out.

There are also a few manly patterned handkerchiefs available at www.flyingneedlegallery.com

Here is what the inimitable Miss Manners has to say on the subject of handkerchiefs:

When the handkerchief went out of general use after centuries of faithful service, nobody even waved goodbye.

It would have been useless anyway. Bare wiggling fingers cannot be seen from the distance.

Nor was there a fond tear shed for this resourceful companion. That would have been foolhardy, as it would have necessitated the yucky gesture of dabbing at the face with wadded paper goods.

Fortunately for Miss Manners, handkerchiefs did not cease to exist just because a generation grew up without being able to figure out their use. Her problem of having goods she likes disappear from the marketplace -- white kid gloves, for example, or for that matter, short white cotton ones -- was not the case here. Handkerchiefs can still be found for sale, although not yet with instruction manuals. Goodness knows what the purchasers do with them, other than attempting to distract basketball players taking foul shots.

But there are many legitimate things you can do with them, which is why handkerchiefs were carried by both ladies and gentlemen for centuries. Even the two functions already mentioned are fraught with dramatic possibilities. Extending the visibility of hand signals is not limited to running along the train platform miming "I can't bear to let you out of my sight." It can also be for attracting attention while screaming, "You've got the keys! The keys, the
keys! Open the window and toss me the keys!" to the departing passenger who smiles from behind the glass and waves back.

Anyone who might have occasion to declare "Don't shoot -- I surrender!" should be sure to carry a clean white handkerchief, although under the circumstances, a dirty one might do. The same is true of those who might like to notify passing helicopters and ships that they are not lolling on desert islands for their health and very much want to leave now if someone would be kind enough to offer them a lift.

Tears come in so many varieties that everyone would profit from the ability to wipe them away gracefully. There are tears of happiness at weddings, tears of sadness at funerals and tears at peeling onions. True, the last can be handled with a paper kitchen towel, but surely not the previous two. Should one's emotions be at variance with the occasion, the handkerchief can be used as a mask to hide sadness at weddings and satisfaction at funerals.

Wiping away the tears of others is also a charming gesture -- the child whose knee was scraped, the lover who was scrapped. The rule was that a gentleman always carried two handkerchiefs, one for himself and the other to hand to a distressed lady. Should he be a cad, this would be all the more necessary, as it is only sporting to offer to mop the tears one has caused.

Handkerchiefs can smother ill-timed laughter, as well as impromptu noises that would be improper at any time. They can dry perspiring hands and wipe outdoor chairs free of dew. And, as a last resort, they can even be used to blow the nose.

What item takes up so little space for the number of functions it has? All right, your pocketknife. But a handkerchief doesn't make trouble passing through security

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
There are also a few manly patterned handkerchiefs available at www.flyingneedlegallery.com

Here is what the inimitable Miss Manners has to say on the subject of handkerchiefs:

When the handkerchief went out of general use after centuries of faithful service, nobody even waved goodbye.

It would have been useless anyway. Bare wiggling fingers cannot be seen from the distance.

Nor was there a fond tear shed for this resourceful companion. That would have been foolhardy, as it would have necessitated the yucky gesture of dabbing at the face with wadded paper goods.

Fortunately for Miss Manners, handkerchiefs did not cease to exist just because a generation grew up without being able to figure out their use. Her problem of having goods she likes disappear from the marketplace -- white kid gloves, for example, or for that matter, short white cotton ones -- was not the case here. Handkerchiefs can still be found for sale, although not yet with instruction manuals. Goodness knows what the purchasers do with them, other than attempting to distract basketball players taking foul shots.

But there are many legitimate things you can do with them, which is why handkerchiefs were carried by both ladies and gentlemen for centuries. Even the two functions already mentioned are fraught with dramatic possibilities. Extending the visibility of hand signals is not limited to running along the train platform miming "I can't bear to let you out of my sight." It can also be for attracting attention while screaming, "You've got the keys! The keys, the
keys! Open the window and toss me the keys!" to the departing passenger who smiles from behind the glass and waves back.

Anyone who might have occasion to declare "Don't shoot -- I surrender!" should be sure to carry a clean white handkerchief, although under the circumstances, a dirty one might do. The same is true of those who might like to notify passing helicopters and ships that they are not lolling on desert islands for their health and very much want to leave now if someone would be kind enough to offer them a lift.

Tears come in so many varieties that everyone would profit from the ability to wipe them away gracefully. There are tears of happiness at weddings, tears of sadness at funerals and tears at peeling onions. True, the last can be handled with a paper kitchen towel, but surely not the previous two. Should one's emotions be at variance with the occasion, the handkerchief can be used as a mask to hide sadness at weddings and satisfaction at funerals.

Wiping away the tears of others is also a charming gesture -- the child whose knee was scraped, the lover who was scrapped. The rule was that a gentleman always carried two handkerchiefs, one for himself and the other to hand to a distressed lady. Should he be a cad, this would be all the more necessary, as it is only sporting to offer to mop the tears one has caused.

Handkerchiefs can smother ill-timed laughter, as well as impromptu noises that would be improper at any time. They can dry perspiring hands and wipe outdoor chairs free of dew. And, as a last resort, they can even be used to blow the nose.

What item takes up so little space for the number of functions it has? All right, your pocketknife. But a handkerchief doesn't make trouble passing through security
Quite well said.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

I may just buy some handkerchiefs now.

I carry patterned handkerchiefs these days, some that I got online and others that my wife made.
Here are four, the bear claw and the moose-themed hankies made by my wife.

IMG_0181.JPG

Always a handkerchief in the back pocket, if wearing a suit another in the chest pocket. If at a funeral/tough situation, handkerchief in multiple pockets. I do not use handkerchiefs to blow my nose, unless it's an absolute emergency, then that handkerchief doesn't go back into the pocket.

They have so many uses, they're almost as handy as the pocket knife that's always in my pocket, except when I have to go to court.

As a general rule I get them in bulk and get them good enough that they absorb something, but cheap enough that I don't hesitate to use/loose them. They have been used as a pressure bandage many times. Always of course when stopping the bleeding is more important that having a sanitary gauze.

After I pull mine out of the wash, I put them in a stack in my drawer and put a bar of Duke Cannon Old Milwaukee soap on top. Each day I take out the top handkerchief to use, it smells great, but not overpowering like cologne. The bar then sits on the next handkerchief, making it ready for tomorrow.

Top Bottom