What's new

Handkerchiefs

I carry one every day, and have since college, but it's purely utilitarian--in fact I often refer to it as a snotrag. I would never offer it to anyone else for that reason.

My father and grandfather did the same.

I haven't bought any in awhile. When I need more, I make them. We have a decent sewing machine, so I just hem up the edges on a square of muslin--it ain't rocket surgery.

i carry one everyday too....i haven't offered mine to anyone lately, however, if you are in the middle of a store or resturant and you are about to sneeze, it is only proper to cover you mouth/nose.

How embarrasing if something would fly out. :w00t: Or you sneeze something on your hand in front of a date, client or boss....what shows better sense?

I agree why would you think twice about carry something as nasty as a used cloth in the back of your pants. But like Autsin I have a daily rotation of mongramed ones and they are always clean.:001_rolle

I've had many occasions to offer my handkerchief to ladies of all ages. I seem to recall many moons ago offering it to another guy who had cut his hand/finger (c'mon the memory ain't that good) and was bleeding at a pretty good clip.

For funerals, my lovely Wife carries her own hankie, and I will carry a spare because sometimes you offer one up and it doesn't come back.

I'm still watching for a source of quality (not thin) men's 100% cotton handkerchiefs. I think I would also entertain a nice Irish linen if I read some good comments. Don't forget the 100% cotton bandanas, on these I definitely prefer USA materials and construction.

For those of you who carry, is it me or have quality 100% cotton white handkerchiefs and (red or blue) bandanas become hard to find? You can still find white handkerchiefs, but most are rather thin and try finding a good ol' Made in the USA bandana amongst the sea of Made in China. I could stand some replacements.

Fellow Texan...

Here is a link for good old made in the US of A bandanas:

http://www.wholesaleforeveryone.com/category/bandanas-paisley-western-USA-22-dozen.html

and one more...

http://www.tansclub.com/prpabainuspr.html

Cheaper by the dozen, maybe we could do a group buy. Don't know if any of the Brooks Brothers guys would be interested, Texans on the other hand...

Last edited:
I typically carry one every day. I've bought some from Brooks Brothers but much prefer hankies from Giovanni's (http://giovannislinens.com/).
Judging by the photo this appears to be similar to some of my current handkerchiefs and not what I want. It appears in the photo that the material is "gauzy" or see-through. I'm looking for heavy duty, ironable 100% cotton.

Fellow Texan...

Here is a link for good old made in the US of A bandanas:

http://www.wholesaleforeveryone.com/category/bandanas-paisley-western-USA-22-dozen.html

and one more...

http://www.tansclub.com/prpabainuspr.html

Cheaper by the dozen, maybe we could do a group buy. Don't know if any of the Brooks Brothers guys would be interested, Texans on the other hand...

Thanks for the links. These look to be just what I'm looking for. Do you know anyone who has ordered from one or the other site? I would be up for a group buy if someone wanted. Maybe buy a dozen or so of at least 2 colors (red and navy for me - but would consider the green or black as a third or fourth option).

Are you in Dallas or in one of the surrounding suburbs? I ask because there is a guy on another forum who lists his location as Dallas, but is actually in Grapevine.

This are favorable attributes:

Good for long term use. - Who doesn't like this?

100% cotton. - Absolutely a must

Size: 21.5" x 21.5" - Good size. I measured one of mine at 19x19 but that is after several years of washes.

Made in USA. - Or comparable quality, which I haven't seen in some of the Chinese imports.

Double side printed(except black-red-white and navy-red-white). - Do they come printed on only a single side? Evidently so. By all means I want both sides to match.

Much softer. - Softer than what?

7, Color faster. - I don't care how fast my color goes, but I would like the material to be colorfast. :biggrin:

8, Overlock stitched 4 edges. - Sounds good.

9, Made of heavier-weight and higher-thread-count premium fabric than the standard single sided bandanas. - Now their talking my language. :biggrin:

Mr Clean,
The handkerchiefs I buy from Giovanni's are not at all gauzy or see through, they are made from nice heavy cotton and are ironable. Their linen handkerchiefs are nice as well. When you find some that fit you like be sure to let us know, I'm always on the lookout for some more nice handkerchiefs

I carry an ironed, 100% cotton handkerchief every day whether I use it or not. I also keep one on the dresser for cleaning my glasses each morning. Got it from my dad and grandad, both of whom still carry them.

The best ones I ever bought were actually at Foley's; the last set I bought was from Wal-Mart (do not do this). The Foley's ones are soft and thick; the Wal-Mart version is thin and feels "rough" or brittle. Also, I've been washing and ironing the Wal-Mart brand for a year and they still come out of the dryer as wrinkled as can be. My Foley's ones, which I've had for about four years, come out of the dryaer without any wrinkles.

Do you guys think this is because of differing quality, the effects of time, both, or something else?

Mr Clean,
The handkerchiefs I buy from Giovanni's are not at all gauzy or see through, they are made from nice heavy cotton and are ironable. Their linen handkerchiefs are nice as well. When you find some that fit you like be sure to let us know, I'm always on the lookout for some more nice handkerchiefs

Good to know. I based my opinion on the photo in your link. You can see how the black background is visible through the handkerchief. That and the borders appear similar to some handkerchiefs that I have that I am sorely disappointed in.

I have wondered about linen. How do they wear?

Mr Clean,
I order model #6215 & 65215 and although they're pricey at $35 each I truly expect them to last a really long time. I carry them most every day and wash them often and they're still in great shape. I buy one every other month or so, that way it doesn't hurt as much when ordering! The linen is supposedly heavier than the cotton, they just don't come in as many styles. I may order a linen one next and report back.

Just bought a bakers half-dozen box of cotten handkerchiefs at Brooks Brothers today. I needed to spend a bit more to get my total to $300 (save $60 with a purchase of $300). Another purchase inspired by B&B!

Last edited:
I carry one. The ones I have are all cheapies though:blushing: Maybe I should invest in some decent one. I only use them to dry my hands/wipe perspiratiion off, never to blow my nose-I use tissues for that.

Mr Clean,
I order model #6215 & 65215 and although they're pricey at $35 each I truly expect them to last a really long time. I carry them most every day and wash them often and they're still in great shape. I buy one every other month or so, that way it doesn't hurt as much when ordering! The linen is supposedly heavier than the cotton, they just don't come in as many styles. I may order a linen one next and report back.

If you decide on the linen model, please do post back your impressions.

My father recently passed down his father's handkerchiefs to me. After receiving them, and a little reading on the Art of Manliness site, I decided to start carrying one. I got a pack of 9 plain white at Kohl's yesterday for $12. I was happy I was able to find someplace local that carries them.

It's an exciting new venture for me (to be more of the man I want to be), but being my age (teenager) I don't think my friends will see it the same way I do :sad:.

Hope for the best, I guess.

Thing I always have with me:

Insulin and related equipment (Type One Diabetic)
Wallet
Mobile Phone
Swiss Army Spartan
Cigar Lighter & Cutter
Handkerchief

They really are handy to have at all times.

Last edited:
Top Bottom