What's new

Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Is this your "Five Easy Pieces" solution to get some dry, white toast?

That's funny. I have been in situations like that many times....especially in japan.

Cheese pizza please.
Im sorry, we only have hot dog pizza
Do you make it fresh?
Yes...
Then make one and don't put the meat on it
But... but... then it would not be hot dog pizza. I'm sorry. We cannot...

Eventually I got it, but it took a lot of covincing, lol

I am off this week and I think a grilled cheese in on the menu for lunch shortly. Picked up some Hoffman's (WI) mild cheddar to try and will use some market bakery pane, chopped tomatoes, & dijon mustard. We'll see how it is.

A few years ago I picked up a generic 70s waffle iron with flippable plates. Once side for waffles & the other for grilling. I use it exclusively now for grilled cheese sandwiches. Run it at waffle temp, butter the bottom plate, sprinkle grated cheese, lay down the bread + mustard + cheese + tomatoes + cheese + mustard + bread + butter + more grated cheese, then close. Flip after 2-3 minutes and remove when both sides golden brown. The cheese is melted right into the bread on the outside and just getting crispy.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I am off this week and I think a grilled cheese in on the menu for lunch shortly. Picked up some Hoffman's (WI) mild cheddar to try and will use some market bakery pane, chopped tomatoes, & dijon mustard. We'll see how it is.

A few years ago I picked up a generic 70s waffle iron with flippable plates. Once side for waffles & the other for grilling. I use it exclusively now for grilled cheese sandwiches. Run it at waffle temp, butter the bottom plate, sprinkle grated cheese, lay down the bread + mustard + cheese + tomatoes + cheese + mustard + bread + butter + more grated cheese, then close. Flip after 2-3 minutes and remove when both sides golden brown. The cheese is melted right into the bread on the outside and just getting crispy.
Yeah, and we're all gonna need to see a picture of that.

Yeah, and we're all gonna need to see a picture of that.

As requested, it's easy to eat 2 of these in the same week -

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I should point out that the above is a multi-year culmination of eating mediocre grilled cheese sandwiches.

/cue peter finch...

Not only grilled cheese but Reubens, Monte Christos, and paninis* are easy to do with this setup as well.

What got me on the waffle iron was pricing out panini presses. Craptastic ones start at ~$40 and they go up to $350 for a prosumer one. Figured I'd be in the $150 range for one that was reasonably made but didn't want to buy another gadget that sits in the back of the cabinet if I decided I really didn't like them. Finally purged the breadmaker. Never even considered that older waffle irons sort of mimic presses until I stumbled on one at a yard sale that had the plates flipped. Over the next few summers seemed like everyone I saw had that feature if an 80s or earlier one. Going rate around me is $3-10 for one. I use this thing weekly and can't see any advantage to buying a real press at this point.

*A legit panini press can do thick sandwiches however many of the waffle irons will also if they have a sliding rear hinge. The one I have does so the plates are level when pressing sandwiches. A couple I saw did not have that feature so I'd bet the sandwich comes out wedge shaped. For something thin & melty like a grilled cheese the weight of the upper lid is enough to press it down. For thicker bread/contents you have to hold it down unlike a real panini press that clamps.

too much info mode: off

Not only grilled cheese but Reubens, Monte Christos, and paninis* are easy to do with this setup as well.

What got me on the waffle iron was pricing out panini presses. Craptastic ones start at ~$40 and they go up to $350 for a prosumer one. Figured I'd be in the $150 range for one that was reasonably made but didn't want to buy another gadget that sits in the back of the cabinet if I decided I really didn't like them. Finally purged the breadmaker. Never even considered that older waffle irons sort of mimic presses until I stumbled on one at a yard sale that had the plates flipped. Over the next few summers seemed like everyone I saw had that feature if an 80s or earlier one. Going rate around me is $3-10 for one. I use this thing weekly and really can't see any advantage to buying a real press at this point.

*A legit panini press can do thick sandwiches however many of the waffle irons will also if they have a sliding rear hinge. The one I have does so the plates are level when pressing the sandwiches. A couple I saw did not have that feature so I'd bet the sandwich comes out wedge shaped. For something thin & melty like a grilled cheese the weight of the upper lid is enough to press it down. For thicker bread/contents you have to hold it down unlike a real panini press that clamps.

too much info mode: off

We've a panini press and i wouldn't buy another, impulse buy, dumb. Outside of the official looking grill marks, solution to a problem that doesn't exist if you own a frying pan.
dave

We've a panini press and i wouldn't buy another, impulse buy, dumb. Outside of the official looking grill marks, solution to a problem that doesn't exist if you own a frying pan.
dave

That's what I figured my arc with one would be. I've got vintage cast iron as well as new ceramic over cast iron skillets and used to use them exclusively for grilled sandwiches. That stupid waffle iron blows them away and is far easier too.

That's what I figured my arc with one would be. I've got vintage cast iron as well as new ceramic over cast iron skillets and used to use them exclusively for grilled sandwiches. That stupid waffle iron blows them away and is far easier too.
I'm going to try some waffle grilled sandwiches. Good call.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom

Your appliance must be improved over the one I grew up with. Ours was a Sunbeam. It was able to fold flat out so you could use the both sides as two flat tops. In theory when you were using it as a press you could lock the top at 90 degrees while you took out the grilled cheese or toasted hot dog buns. Unfortunately the top would drop back then hitting the wall drive the whole thing out onto the floor. Linoleum was pretty darn durable stuff.

Your appliance must be improved over the one I grew up with. Ours was a Sunbeam. It was able to fold flat out so you could use the both sides as two flat tops. In theory when you were using it as a press you could lock the top at 90 degrees while you took out the grilled cheese or toasted hot dog buns. Unfortunately the top would drop back then hitting the wall drive the whole thing out onto the floor. Linoleum was pretty darn durable stuff.

I'll be dipped, did not realize it would do that!

proxy.php

As requested, it's easy to eat 2 of these in the same week -

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Motivated by this as well as Owen's egg dipped grilled cheese to pull out the under used under appreciated panini press...

An 'Eastern', Korean street food 'toastie'. Bread buttered both sides and grilled/fried on both sides, grated cabbage & carrots mixed with eggs and fried, ham, cheddar cheese, brown sugar, ketchup & Sambal Olek, salt and pepper.

Used a honey ham so didn't bother with a further sugar kick, Australian Croc cheddar, Swiss gruyere, French's ketchup locally made in the plant Heinz abandoned a few years ago, thank you French's, Sambal Olek. I barely mix the eggs and veg as i don't like aerated eggs... all frying/grilling on the press & at the end of all that, tastes like a 'Western' with a vegetable crunch.

'Eastern' Panino

file-20.jpeg
file5-11.jpeg
file1-16.jpeg
file2-13.jpeg
file3-12.jpeg
file4-12.jpeg
file6-9.jpeg

dave

Top Bottom