What's new

Why Cabrales Blue Cheese Is The Most Expensive In The World

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Boy...what would I give for a just a small 'wheel' of this Blue Cheese. :drool:

Story by Nick Pisano - MSN - Mashed - 30 Aug 23

"When it comes to high-end foods, cheese is among the most common — and most delicious. But one style undoubtedly is "the big cheese" when it comes to price. The title of the world's most expensive cheese is now held by Cabrales blue cheese, a 2.2-kilogram (roughly 5-pound) wheel of which sold for €30,000 (more than $32,000), at a recent auction. :a47:

proxy.php

The semi-hard cheese hails from northern Spain and is typically crafted from unpasteurized cow milk sometimes blended with goat or sheep's milk. It ages at least eight months in cool, humid limestone caves in the Asturian Picos de Europa Mountains, which create the ideal environment for penicillium growth. The mold works from the outside inwards to provide the characteristic blue cheese taste and aroma.

proxy.php

Aging (in caves), wheels of Cabrales Cheese

proxy.php

Asturias' portion of the stunning Picos de Europa National Park
The [cheese] are carefully crafted by hand and typically carried down from the caves on foot
1693456223081.jpeg

Why is this cheese deemed to be so valuable
proxy.php

Among other reasons, the cheese is prized because of its tightly controlled production. Cheese can only truly be called Cabrales if it's produced in the administrative region of Cabrales Council -- the regulatory Council DOP Cabreles -- or other specifically designated nearby areas. The unique profile of the local microscopic organisms creates the distinctive flavor, which has been described as acidic and salty, with a strong aroma.

According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the ultra-pricey selection dethroned a different block of Cabrales that had previously held the record. That one, sold in 2019, cost around $22,000, or about $10,000 less than the recent sale. Interestingly, both were purchased by the same buyer, restaurant owner Iván Suárez. "It's my passion for the land and my appreciation for the hard work of these cheesemakers that fuels my bids," he explained (via The Olive Press).

Those looking to spend big bucks on cheese certainly aren't limited to Cabrales. While typical Cabrales sells for around $40 per pound, the uber-rare pule may be the most expensive cheese in the world by weight.

Due to its rarity, the Balkan dockey milk cheese (which reportedly tastes similar to manchego) sells for between $600 and $1,000 per pound.

Even expensive grilled cheeses can break the bank, like the one served by New York City restaurant Serendipity 3. For $214, diners can enjoy melted caciocavallo podolico cheese on bread baked with Dom Perignon champagne and slathered with white truffle butter and edible gold flakes. 😋

While these all may be out of reach for most everyday cheese lovers, there's no doubt true connoisseurs with a healthy bank account have plenty of great options, including the record-setting Cabrales. 🏦💵

Read More: Why Cabrales Blue Cheese is the most expensive in the World

proxy.php
"Dessert without [blue] cheese is like a beauty with only one eye". Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

Last edited:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I have not yet found a bleu/blue cheese I did not like, usually love. I think a hunk of Rogue Creamery Blue, some good bread, and an appropriate beverage is pretty hard to beat.
Tirvine:
1-jpg.899177
...with a glass of Port, Cream Sherry or Madeira w/ Baked Black Mission Figs for dessert...I'm in Culinary heaven!
yesnod.gif

1693540612011.jpeg

or
Just w/ one of the above beverages, Crusty French Bread & Grapes.1693542154329.jpeg

$cheese_smiley.gif “The best thing to pair with cheese is more cheese”. Anonymous

I love cheese but not the blue type. Just too bitter for me. My favorite is Boar’s head. I enjoy their American, Swiss, Muenster, Cheddar, and Jack.

Boy...what would I give for a just a small 'wheel' of this Blue Cheese. :drool:

Story by Nick Pisano - MSN - Mashed - 30 Aug 23

"When it comes to high-end foods, cheese is among the most common — and most delicious. But one style undoubtedly is "the big cheese" when it comes to price. The title of the world's most expensive cheese is now held by Cabrales blue cheese, a 2.2-kilogram (roughly 5-pound) wheel of which sold for €30,000 (more than $32,000), at a recent auction. :a47:

proxy.php

The semi-hard cheese hails from northern Spain and is typically crafted from unpasteurized cow milk sometimes blended with goat or sheep's milk. It ages at least eight months in cool, humid limestone caves in the Asturian Picos de Europa Mountains, which create the ideal environment for penicillium growth. The mold works from the outside inwards to provide the characteristic blue cheese taste and aroma.

proxy.php

Aging (in caves), wheels of Cabrales Cheese

proxy.php

Asturias' portion of the stunning Picos de Europa National Park
The [cheese] are carefully crafted by hand and typically carried down from the caves on foot
. View attachment 1710279

Why is this cheese deemed to be so valuable
proxy.php

Among other reasons, the cheese is prized because of its tightly controlled production. Cheese can only truly be called Cabrales if it's produced in the administrative region of Cabrales Council -- the regulatory Council DOP Cabreles -- or other specifically designated nearby areas. The unique profile of the local microscopic organisms creates the distinctive flavor, which has been described as acidic and salty, with a strong aroma.

According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the ultra-pricey selection dethroned a different block of Cabrales that had previously held the record. That one, sold in 2019, cost around $22,000, or about $10,000 less than the recent sale. Interestingly, both were purchased by the same buyer, restaurant owner Iván Suárez. "It's my passion for the land and my appreciation for the hard work of these cheesemakers that fuels my bids," he explained (via The Olive Press).

Those looking to spend big bucks on cheese certainly aren't limited to Cabrales. While typical Cabrales sells for around $40 per pound, the uber-rare pule may be the most expensive cheese in the world by weight.

Due to its rarity, the Balkan dockey milk cheese (which reportedly tastes similar to manchego) sells for between $600 and $1,000 per pound.

Even expensive grilled cheeses can break the bank, like the one served by New York City restaurant Serendipity 3. For $214, diners can enjoy melted caciocavallo podolico cheese on bread baked with Dom Perignon champagne and slathered with white truffle butter and edible gold flakes. 😋

While these all may be out of reach for most everyday cheese lovers, there's no doubt true connoisseurs with a healthy bank account have plenty of great options, including the record-setting Cabrales. 🏦💵

Read More: Why Cabrales Blue Cheese is the most expensive in the World

proxy.php
"Dessert without [blue] cheese is like a beauty with only one eye". Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
I will not show this post to my wife, as she loves cheese very much.
Happy International Cat Day GIF

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Love the stuff, but skipping that $$$$ one.

We have family in Asturias, and we've been to the Picos many times. The cheese market in Cangas de Onis is Saturday or Sunday, as I recall. What we buy (and it is delicious): the so-called "pastor's cheese," the affordable (but not cheap) common farmer's cheese - it's more like Manchego, but of course different.

Lovely Asturias. The leg of ham always on the kitchen counter, with a cloth on it, ready to be sliced ... wonderful folks.

AA

Top Bottom