Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Discussion in 'The Mess Hall' started by DoctorShavegood, Oct 20, 2018.

I have had one of those toastie machines for some years. For them, you butter the outside! Makes a great toastie though

1. YES YES YES! You just gave me flashbacks to my childhood!

2. beginish

beginish Moderator Emeritus

A Brit friend of mine made the toasties buttered on the inside, and after eating them, I'll never go back.

3. You guys inspired me, so off to get Wonder Bread, a cheap block of cheddar, sliced ham. For tomato soup, Campbells, Progresso, and a can of Italian tomatoes just in case I have the energy to DIY. Had a talk with a neighbor about wet ham and how you absolutely positively need to use mayonnaise instead of butter on the outside, so I precooked the ham in oil to dry it off and had at it, served up with the Progresso soup. The mayo gave the outside a nice look. Mmm mmm good! Next time I have to add herbs & spices (needs heat) and eventually try different cheese.

4. Alacrity59

Alacrity59 Moderator Emeritus

Maybe go Italian with Pasta Fazool and a sopressata sandwich.

5. mrlandpirate

mrlandpirate Contributor

^^^ on King's hawaiian sliced ...oh ya!

6. Lol, after seeing this I am going to go make a grilled cheeses right now.

7. oc_in_fw

oc_in_fw Contributor

Made these the other day. Dipped in egg and fried, Boar’s Head Maple Glaze Honey Coat ham, BH baby Swiss, mustard, and a sprinkle of powdered sugar. Forgot to include the raspberry jam in the picture.

929D85E3-E207-428B-BD7E-0FE326F4633B.jpeg

8. Dipped in egg, huh? ....a while back I saw a episode of that PBS show, traveling with Steve....iforgethislastnamebutitendswithanSIthinklol, and he was in London. He visited a grilled cheese stand that had been there for well over 100 years and and would make it with any kind of crazy cheese you wanted. I swore I would go there one day

9. Every Monday is grilled cheese night. Pending if I am on a calorie count is the type of bread I use? But Cheese is good!!
    I do like the Kings option never thought of that.
    My favorite is a Munster cheese.

10. oc_in_fw

oc_in_fw Contributor

It is known as a Monte Cristo. When I first heard of it, I thought it would be awful (especially using jam). The savory and sweet work well together.

11. I will try this!

12. martym

martym Contributor

Grilled cheese and tomato soup

13. I like my grilled cheese sandwich grilled without the cheese and butter. After i butter the toast i put the cheese on, preferably a well aged crumbly white cheddar.
    dave

14. Doc4

Doc4 Moderator Emeritus

Is this your "Five Easy Pieces" solution to get some dry, white toast?

15. Limburger (expired but still okay - ish) red onions and pickled herring (unrefrigerated, so that was maybe what caused the issue). Don't ask, lol.

Let's just say I won't be in charge of the grilled cheeses any more. I told them once they got past the smell they'd be golden. But deep down I knew it wasn't going to be pretty as soon as I opened up the Limburger.

The guests were polite about it. I heard a lot of "Is it Kosher?", or "Is that SEEDED rye?".

I said, "You know what!... How about less questions and more eating!"

But still just more excuses so I had to take the plates out to the garage and let the rats have a feast I guess. SMH, right?

16. Alacrity59

Alacrity59 Moderator Emeritus

Shaved chicken or black Forrest Ham make a fine addition. Also hot mustard.