What's new

Good inexpensive blade that gives a smooth shave

@SpicyTuna77 a BIG +1 to what @Highspeedlane suggests.
Samplers and individuals from TryABlade and the way to start.
I'm fond of Lord Blades but that's me.. and I don't look at price so much and smooth and comfortable.
There is an optimum blade or a few optimum blades for everyone.. have fun searching...
we've lately read some sad tales of shavers who've bought 100 blades becasue of price and then found they were the worst choice for his/her shaving....
Baby Steps.

My blade of choice is Personna lab blue. 100 pack is $12 on Amazon and it's all in one box so there's very little waste. I bought it blind without trying any samples first.
I also like the red Israeli Personna platinum chrome. These can be bought in boxes of 10 from many shaving vendors if you are interested in trying it.

While many have suggested sample packs. Maybe buy it from a reputable shaving vendor and pick samples of the ones you are interested in trying. The sample packs on Amazon might have one or two good brands and the rest will be garbage.

Blades are the cheapest part of shaving. Keep in mind, that with three to five shaves a blade even "expensive" Feather blades are ten for $5.38 or about .54 a blade. Divide that by the number of shaves and it comes to a ten cents a day!

I would go the Try a Blade route and judge for yourself. As you can see, some folks like Astra SP blades. However, for me, I don't get a smooth shave from them. In fact, yesterday I tossed an Astra SP blade after only two shaves.

I have a few Feathers that came with my Feather Popular, but those those are quite expensive. Wilkinson Sword Classics work well in my Tech, but they also seem pricey. Does $4 for a 5 pack of Wilkinson Sword Classics, or did Amazon rip me off?
What is a nice smooth blade that is not too expensive? I suppose I could stick to those Wilkinson Swords if I could find them somewhere cheaper...
4.00 for a 5 pack? That is terrible. 2.49 for that same blade here in a 5 blade tuck.
Seriously though, there are some good cheap blades out there. I like Wilki Classics as well, but the Sputnik is right up there if not a tad better. AND...it is cheap! I still like the Gillette Platinum Plus <brazil> but the price varies wildly. Of course YMMV.

Shark stainless could be an option. I have shaved twice so far, but seem very decent.

As you say they could be an option. The problem that I have with them is that they seem dull the minute I put one in a razor. I might as well unwrap and throw away, saving any upsetting shaves. Pretty packaging, though.

@epipeman

Nothing was written under sarcasm and irony. Anyway it's ok. The thread subject is about blades. It's good that they work better for you when re-visited.

@epipeman

Nothing was written under sarcasm and irony. Anyway it's ok. The thread subject is about blades. It's good that they work better for you when re-visited.

I repeat "Sarcasm and irony are fun. Read my above post in that light." I wasn't suggesting that you were indulging in either.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Astra SP, Nacet, and Personna red, all nice blades that are inexpensive. There is more blades but its like a forest out there with good blades every where!

By connecting with local shavers through B&B, 4of us were able to split the cost of 4 different, premium blades. We ordered 100 of each: Feathers, Astra SP, Gillette Silver Blues, Personna Blues.
I was able to do the same thing with some Voskhod’s and Perma-Sharp Super Blades.
Connecting is good.

I keep straying away from Astra sp out of the need to find something better......but then I just continually come back and find that astra sp is by far the best for my face. At ten cents a blade I'm starting to think I should just go ahead and order ~500 or so and be done with it.

Top Bottom