What's new

Good inexpensive blade that gives a smooth shave

I occasionally find a left over Derby in my stash (I know, I know) and I always get very smooth shave. You can't beat the price and if you can get over the stigma, it will get the job done plus some.

I live in Turkey and it is easy to reach some Russian blades and Turkish Derby blades. But my favourite blade is USA made Personna Blue.
In my opinion Personna blue's are better than Astra SP. That is why i pay more and get Personna blades.
It can be used more shaves and much smoother and more comfortable.
Sometimes we do not see beauties besides us :)

Voskhod in a Super Speed cannot be beat for price and longevity. However in my Slim these blades are not that good. For me that is. I also like Astra and Derby but the edge goes to Voskhod. 9 bucks a hun cannot put you in the Shavers Poor House either.

Dorco Prime Platinum, Nacets, GSB, Polsilver and 7o'clock greens are my favorites. Most of them are $10/100.

The most inexpensive blade that gives a great, smooth shave for me is the Dorco Prime. This blade right now is filling my personal "Best Value" position.

A few sleepers (defined as blades that work great for me but don't have as much buzz as, say Astra) that can be had for less than $15/100:
Treet Platinum
SuperMax Platinum
Personna Lab Blue (these are actually kind of popular, and the price is right)

For a little more (but less than $20 from Razor Blades Club if you're willing to wait) you can get
Bolzano (for me, sharp and really durable, and smooth out after the 1st shave)
Polsilver SI (not a sleeper -- this is a very popular blade, and now more affordable.)

My "expensive" blades end up giving me weeks of shaves per blade where the inexpensive blades are done after three or four. The expensive and far better performing blades (in terms of shave quality and quantity of shaves) end up costing a fraction of the inexpensive blades on a per shave basis.

dave

My favorite is the Personna Platinum blades from Israel. Coming in second is the Astra SP blades. They both work great for my face but the Personna blades last a little longer.

My "expensive" blades end up giving me weeks of shaves per blade where the inexpensive blades are done after three or four. The expensive and far better performing blades (in terms of shave quality and quantity of shaves) end up costing a fraction of the inexpensive blades on a per shave basis.

dave
I haven't found price and longevity to be longevity, well that's a different story

I realize this is getting to be a pretty old thread but I thought I'd just say this:

Some of the best blades on the planet only cost about $10 or $12 per 100 pack. The 'top' blades cost $20 per 100 pack.

Astra - $10
Nacets - $10 (on sale)
Personna Israeli Reds - $10
Rapira (all marks) - $10
Crown - $10

Wilkinson $20
Feather - $20

Plenty more.

Let me try that again. Stupid phone LOL. I haven't found price and longevity to be related, Technique and Longevity, well that's a different story
So funny. It usually only takes a second for brain to autocorrect most typos, omissions etc. I read that five times and gave up Hahahaha. Thanks for clarifying. I'll sleep better :)

My brain is addled on pain killers and muscle relaxers. I had spinal surgery last week. :) By the time I saw it again I couldn't fix it.

Astra - $10
Nacets - $10 (on sale)
Personna Israeli Reds - $10
Rapira (all marks) - $10
Crown - $10

Israeli Reds for $10 shipped? I don't buy 100-packs very often so maybe I'm just missing the deals, but if I could find them at that price, I'd buy that for $10.

Last edited:
Top Bottom