What's new

Good inexpensive blade that gives a smooth shave

I wish I had listened to the experienced guys who recommended buying a sample pack to see what I like most - and then buy in bulk.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I wish I had listened to the experienced guys who recommended buying a sample pack to see what I like most - and then buy in bulk.
I agree ,I bought some sampler packs on ebay but it took for ever to receive (2.5 months), buy from a good north American supplier for almost the same price and you will receive them in 2 weeks and enjoy them.

Astra or if you are willing to go a little higher GSB...GSB is the best blade I have used so far...cant even feel the blade on my face

Astra Superior Platinums, Personna Reds, Gillette Silver Blues, Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellows-here endeth the list.

marty

If you like TREET blades, check out www.iceglobal.ca There are nicely priced blades and samplers of a surprisingly wide selection of TREET DE blades on that site, eh? I'm enjoying the "Black Beauty". the "New Steel" and "Silver" TREET carbon steel blades and can't wait to try others next order.

I have a few Feathers that came with my Feather Popular, but those those are quite expensive. Wilkinson Sword Classics work well in my Tech, but they also seem pricey. Does $4 for a 5 pack of Wilkinson Sword Classics, or did Amazon rip me off?
What is a nice smooth blade that is not too expensive? I suppose I could stick to those Wilkinson Swords if I could find them somewhere cheaper...
Hate to say it, but I can get the Wilkinson in most discount stores or bodegas in NYC for anywhere from $1.19 to $1.99 for 5.
Personally, if you want something g bulk, Astra & Rapira are always cheap on eBay. I got 100 Zorrik Super Platinum on eBay for $8.25, free shipping, from an Indian seller & had them in 10 days. I get a good 6 to 8 smooth shaves a blade out of them

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

In my experience, the Astra SP is far and away the price/performance leader. For a better shave for not much more money, I would highly recommend the Polsilver SI.

Astras are currently on my "to be revisited" list. I know that a lot of very experienced members like them and this is why they are not on my "don't touch with a bargepole" list. If I remember correctly the Astra I tried had a sneaky way of behaving nicely enough before biting without warning in a spiteful, ill-natured manner. That of course could easily just be my own ineptitude, and I will warily try one again at a date in the future yet to be confirmed.

Last edited:
Out of all the blades that I’ve used the Astras lead the pack. Cheap, sharp enough, and smooth enough. Longevity is excellent. I routinely go more than 10 shaves with each one. They are great. BTW, I am referring to the stainless blades. I do not use the platinums.

The Astra SPs shave pretty well, but I end up with a bit of irritation afterwards. I have a 5 pack of Gillette 7oClock yellows to try, and I ordered some Gillette Nacets, some Astra SS, Personna Platinums, and Voskhods from Italian Barber. We'll see of any of these work a bit better for me!

I have had excellent luck with Sputnik blades. The first shave is a little tuggy...not bad at all, but you can feel it. After that it smooths right down. I get about 10 DFS from each blade.

If purchased in bulk there really aren’t any expensive DE blades. Comparatively maybe Kai blades can be.

I find Gillette 7OC blades to be really solid. But I tend to prefer feathers. I’ve found feathers as low as 20+ usd for 100 on Amazon from time to time. Gillette 7OC yellows around 15 usd and Astras closer to 11-12 usd. All are priced okay and nice blades.

Top Bottom