What's new

Good inexpensive blade that gives a smooth shave

I have a few Feathers that came with my Feather Popular, but those those are quite expensive. Wilkinson Sword Classics work well in my Tech, but they also seem pricey. Does $4 for a 5 pack of Wilkinson Sword Classics, or did Amazon rip me off?
What is a nice smooth blade that is not too expensive? I suppose I could stick to those Wilkinson Swords if I could find them somewhere cheaper...

The Astra sp's have worked well for me. I think I got a 100 pack for around $10. I also like Voskhods but they get more mixed reviews than the astra's, the Astra seems to be very well liked.

$4 is pricey. I would go to Tryablade and you can buy sample blades in any quantity to try. Everyone's view on blades differs depending on skin, prep and technique but over time I've had great results with Gillette Silver Blue (they are on the sharp side if that is what you want), Gillette 7 o'clock Super Stainless (smooth and sharp) and Kai.

Most recently I've found Kai works really well my my Rockwell 6s. They don't feel nearly as sharp as say, Feather or GSB but they are remarkable smooth and seem very stable across day to day shaving. But Kai are just about double the cost of many of the more popular east European blade brands so take that into consideration for bulk purchasing. Best wishes.

Does $4 for a 5 pack of Wilkinson Sword Classics, or did Amazon rip me off?

When you buy single packs, you pay considerably more than buying bulk. $4 is still high, but $1.50-3 per pack is not unreasonable when buying smaller amounts. The best advice is above to go to Try-a-blade, then when you are settled, buy a pack of 100.

If you do really like the Wilkinsons, buy the 100 count. There's options right on Amazon for under $19 for 100 of them. Similarly, there's 100 Feathers for $23.

If you have a budget in mind on how much you’re willing to spend on 100, look them up first on the bay or other vendors to see how much they cost. Once you settle on few brands you want to try, order some from ‘try a blade’ before committing to a 100.

I use the Rockwell 6S razor and had good experience with variety of blades.
Tried the Derby Premium, which is somewhere around $8-9 for 100, and found them sharp and smooth. These lasted me for 3 shaves (that’s 3 face and 3 head shaves).

I’m also using feathers now, which have been used 5 times (that’s 5 head and 5 face shaves), but they run around $23 for 100.

It comes down to how much you want to pay per shave for the blades.

Hope that helps.

I agree with everything above. Astras are great all-around blades and you can get 'em for around $10/100 if you're looking to buy in bulk and be done.

Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp Stainless (Green) are some of the best I've used for the price.
I find them very smooth and comfortable to use and sharp enough to get the job done
Available on eBay for a crazy low price for 100 blades - and FREE shipping from India
proxy.php

# 100 X GILLETTE 7 O'CLOCK PERMASHARP STAINLESS RAZOR BLADES FREE SHIP | eBay

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I like PolSilver SI. I paid around 16 cents a blade from a B&B member, but I don't purchase 5 at a time (400 last time).

Voskhod are $8.83 on amazon right now. Supermax plat plus are 8.50 on ebay. both great and inexpensive per 100. Rapira are 10.50 for 100 on ebay. THe green gillette 7oclocks from india are around 8.50-9.00 as well on the bay. These are all good in my book and pretty cheap as well.

I suggest a different tack. Order a sampler pack or two (more expensive per blade, but you can try some options). Then order the ones you like by the 100 or 1,000 (as some guys do). The price per blade becomes very reasonable!

Wilkinson, any of the Gillette Russian blades. Perma Sharp and 7OC Yellow are Feather sharp and last 4 days for Yellow three for Perma Sharp. Wilks are in most stores. They are not scalpel sharp but are smooth and last three days on average for me when I use one. Personna blue may be another alternative for you. Voskhod are cheap and many like them too. I'm on blade one day one with them so cannot opine yet.
LE

Top Bottom