What's new

Gillette Frankenfatty Pass-around

Sounds like a plan. Shipping both at the same time sounds like a great idea. Jmurphy is up next and I'm okay waiting a little longer. It will just make it sweeter when they finally arrive. :thumbup:

Sounds like a plan. Shipping both at the same time sounds like a great idea. Jmurphy is up next and I'm okay waiting a little longer. It will just make it sweeter when they finally arrive. :thumbup:
Perfect! Thank you, Sir! In the meantime, we can drool at the photos and your anxiety can build:lol:

That's fine with me Capt Murphy. The door does look like it is opening up some more. How hard would it be to reset the door post?
Also the 1/4 turn. Can that be fixed? Also, the blade gap difference? How long will this take to fix?
Well, no matter, it sounds like Frankenfatty needs some serious attention.

That's fine with me Capt Murphy. The door does look like it is opening up some more. How hard would it be to reset the door post?
Also the 1/4 turn. Can that be fixed? Also, the blade gap difference? How long will this take to fix?
Well, no matter, it sounds like Frankenfatty needs some serious attention.

Cool! As far as the issues listed above go, I will give Frank a complete tune up and I will do my best to make necessary corrections. I think the door opening up is in fact due to that door hinge post I had to fabricate. I have some spare parts that I might try and swap out, if compatible. The blade gap can always be fixed and I know why it moves so much....it's the soft solder that "gives" when using the razor. Again, I have a spare safety bar plate that I will try to implement. The quarter turn should be an easy fix as well! I will move him to the front of the line so as to keep the pass-around fluid. If I run into any issues, I'll let you gents know. If worst comes to worst, we've got a secondary franken-adjustable that can go for a ride around the nation (Canada too) possibly even overseas! That would be neat:yesnod:

Dalton, the door gap may have opened up but I don't recall seeing photos of it before it came to me since it's last round of repairs. I don't think the gap is a problem, but the missing quarter turn is probably related. I will say that the shave was excellent, I was expecting a really weird experience and some cuts so I put it off until today. I had no reason to be concerned, it was a great shave(for using my default Arko).

Cool! As far as the issues listed above go, I will give Frank a complete tune up and I will do my best to make necessary corrections. I think the door opening up is in fact due to that door hinge post I had to fabricate. I have some spare parts that I might try and swap out, if compatible. The blade gap can always be fixed and I know why it moves so much....it's the soft solder that "gives" when using the razor. Again, I have a spare safety bar plate that I will try to implement. The quarter turn should be an easy fix as well! I will move him to the front of the line so as to keep the pass-around fluid. If I run into any issues, I'll let you gents know. If worst comes to worst, we've got a secondary franken-adjustable that can go for a ride around the nation (Canada too) possibly even overseas! That would be neat:yesnod:

"The Bride of Frankenfatty"?

In thinking about it, I guess "serious attention" wasn't what I should have said, maybe "a little attention", is more appropriate.
In any case, Capt Murphy will do what is needed.

Last edited:
Frankenfatty is headed to Jason as soon as the mail man comes by my desk.

The wife approved. Think you can extend the handle on a Fatboy about 2 inches in the same knurled pattern?

nick

Frankenfatty is headed to Jason as soon as the mail man comes by my desk.

The wife approved. Think you can extend the handle on a Fatboy about 2 inches in the same knurled pattern?

nick
You mean like make an extension to the handle with the same knurling?

Like yeah! You know women like the longer handles.

Nick
:lol: I see where this is going! I had thought about making a custom fatboy handle piece awhile back but a longer handle means extending the door rod too, to accommodate the extra length. I suppose it could be done, given the equipment! Mr. Dalton has some friends in the fab business that could probably achieve this!

I've got some ideas. Theoretically, you can extend the bottom part of the handle that twists and use the same door rod, adjustment mechanism, and everything. The retaining hardware would just be in the middle of the handle instead at the end. It could be called FrancisFatty.

Last edited:
I've got some ideas. Theoretically, you can extend the bottom part of the handle that twists and use the same door rod, adjustment mechanism, and everything. The retaining hardware would just be in the middle of the handle instead at the end. It could be called FrancisFatty.
Yeah, extending the TTO knob does make sense. I wouldn't know how to do the knurling though.

Frankenfatty arrived today. Its condition is exactly what has been described in previous posts. I have already picked out my blades, sanitized the razor, and it is ready to go for tomorrow. I will keep everyone up to date. And thanks for this opportunity.

Well? How did it go? I used my own fatboy tonight and loved it. I lost the tracking number and expected it to show up Monday bu wasn't sure. Make sure you try some different blades out too.

Frank showed up today! I will give him some sorely needed touch ups and a solid tune-up before his trip to the Great White North:biggrin:

He actually looks really nice for being passed around, well done Gentlemen! :smile:

I was wondering what happened to Frankenfatty. I have not heard about him in a while. Not much input from jmurphy. Did the shaves go alright?

I'm starting to get a little giddy. This means I will be getting a package with two Fatboys in the near future. Tell Frank to behave himself during shipping. :lol:
My plan is shave only with Frank for the first four days. I'm thinking a lower number setting so I don't irritate or razor burn my beautiful mug.:tongue_sm Then I'll try my new-to-me(beautifully refreshed by Cap) Fatboy on the same number setting and see if there is any difference. The last couple of days might be Frank on a higher number just to see how it goes. I'm thinking I'll just use one brush and one cream for the week. I'll keep everyone posted on how the shaves go.

I'm starting to get a little giddy. This means I will be getting a package with two Fatboys in the near future. Tell Frank to behave himself during shipping. :lol:
My plan is shave only with Frank for the first four days. I'm thinking a lower number setting so I don't irritate or razor burn my beautiful mug.:tongue_sm Then I'll try my new-to-me(beautifully refreshed by Cap) Fatboy on the same number setting and see if there is any difference. The last couple of days might be Frank on a higher number just to see how it goes. I'm thinking I'll just use one brush and one cream for the week. I'll keep everyone posted on how the shaves go.
Excellent! I haven't even shipped him off yet and I'm excited! I'm going to take him apart again and give him a deep clean. I'll show you guys what a month or so of passing around looks like[emoji106] thanks again for being a part of this neat pass-around!

Top Bottom