What's new

Gillette Frankenfatty Pass-around

I just PMed Andy6228 and asked him for a pic. the tracking number shows it delivered as of Monday, so he should have it and used it by now. regarding the rusty nut (custom title anyone?) it wasn't THAT bad, I should have taken a pic of it myself. it was discolored at most. certainly wasn't in any immediate risk of structural failure, although it should be replaced at someone's nearest convenience.
+1 on the "rusty nut" custom title. :lol::lol:

Hmm, I have an idea. A custom made nut. Same thread, a little smaller size, for easier access. Maybe rounded sides, with indents like the 1958-1959 models. So the spring pin tool can be used for removal. Something in stainless, and perhaps a spiked end.

Any thoughts on this? I am sure I can have one made. I just need the dimensions.

I got to use the the frankenfatty today. Shaved with some mikes natural lavender soap and a lab blue blade. Great shave. I could definitely learn to like this razor. I know I've read it before but it surprises me how different the shave is from my slim. It seems smoother and slightly more efficient at the same setting.

I just heard Fatty is headed my way tomorrow. When I get to the office Monday, I should have two Fatboys waiting for me and I will have to give a comparison. I've been thinking about the open comb mod and I think it is doable. If anybody has access to a milling machine, it wouldn't take much effort if starting with a disassembled razor. I think Frankenfatty has great potential to be an R41 slayer if someone spent just a little time planning the open comb cuts in the baseplate.

Nick

Also, Cap, if I find my other acquisition needs a little work I can't do, I would like to send it your way for disassembly and repair before it goes off for cerakote or replate with Chris at Razorplate.

I I need to sell some stuff before my wife sees me depleting PayPal.

Last edited:
I just heard Fatty is headed my way tomorrow. When I get to the office Monday, I should have two Fatboys waiting for me and I will have to give a comparison. I've been thinking about the open comb mod and I think it is doable. If anybody has access to a milling machine, it wouldn't take much effort if starting with a disassembled razor. I think Frankenfatty has great potential to be an R41 slayer if someone spent just a little time planning the open comb cuts in the baseplate.

Nick

Also, Cap, if I find my other acquisition needs a little work I can't do, I would like to send it your way for disassembly and repair before it goes off for cerakote or replate with Chris at Razorplate.

I I need to sell some stuff before my wife sees me depleting PayPal.

Nick,

I hope you enjoy Frank! It might be slightly different than the fatty you have en route.As far as the OC fatboy idea, I am glad to see more interest in it! I hardly have the time or resources to produce a prototype so I am anxious to see what other ideas are floating around! If we do come up with something, I'll happily do the reassembly on it. I have a Micromatic Open comb that I plan on hacking up to try and incorporate a comb on one side of a project fatty. As for your fatty that is on the way, feel free to send it to me at any time. You can PM me for my details. Thanks and have fun!

Frankenfatty is on its way to Nick. He should get it today.

The razor was great. I truly enjoyed getting to try it. As far as mechanics the razor acted different on each side. One side was very smooth while I had a little razor chatter/skip on the other.

Frankenfatty is on its way to Nick. He should get it today.

The razor was great. I truly enjoyed getting to try it. As far as mechanics the razor acted different on each side. One side was very smooth while I had a little razor chatter/skip on the other.

Thank you for the update on Frank, Andy! That one side has a little chatter because I had to fabricate a door post for the door to swivel on and needless to say, I didn't get it perfectly positioned so the doors do not close as well as they should.

Thank you for the update on Frank, Andy! That one side has a little chatter because I had to fabricate a door post for the door to swivel on and needless to say, I didn't get it perfectly positioned so the doors do not close as well as they should.
I actually kinda liked that the razor was a little different on each side. As long as I could remember which side was which, one side could be used where more aggression was needed. Was a totally fun razor to use!

Fatty is here! I actually received two Fatboys in the mail today so I will have a shave off. Here is the obligatory sideways ipad picture to prove it too!

$image.jpg

Nick

Nice to see Frank is still going strong. The green paint seems to be holding up well. I'm getting a little anxious. Just a few more weeks till Frank makes a little cross border trip.

Sorry for the lack of updates this week. I have a pretty big media week if you will where I have to look my best(not that I don't usually) so I'm not mixing anything up until tomorrow. I will use Frank a couple times before sending him on his way and will provide a nice review. I will also include some new blades in the pack as well.

Nick

Ok, time for my report. First the comparisons:
Franky on the left, my Fatboy on the right. The door gaps are a little uneven, and as you can see, this will affect the blade exposure. Not for the better or worse, just different. I didn't change anything with my routine and loaded a once used Feather out of my Fatboy to compare the two no pics of the blade loaded as I got to excited and shaved with Frank right away. The shave was smooth. Better than I expected using the side with more blade exposure. The shallow side was used for the final ATG pass and did remarkably well. One thing I noticed, the 1/4 turn was almost nonexistent. It was more like a cinch lock. I was very careful with him so I'm not sure if others experienced the same thing or if Cappy needs to make some adjustments. Either way, it was a great shave and I enjoyed the experience. I also added some blades, Personnas, Astras(I know, everybody loves those) some Cromas, and a couple others. Took a couple Vokshods to try. I will try and get him sent out tomorrow, so Capt., if you want to make any tweaks, let me know.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 26
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 26
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 27
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 27
Nick, Thank you for the review! Wow, the doors look like they have opened up a little since it departed my residence! I am glad that you had a good shave with Frank but it sounds like he does need some attention!

I have a proposition for Frank:

-I am currently working on Jimmy The Chooch's personal fatboy and it is nearing completion. If my understanding of the lineup is correct, he is the next member in line to test out Frank? If this is the correct Nick, you could send Frank back to me for some pre-Canadian maintenance and tune-up. I will even replace the retainer in the end as I understand it is having some elemental issues. Once I am finished working on Frank, I will box it up with Jimmy's fatboy and the other paraphernalia and send it across the border.

This of course will all depend on both @JimmyTheChooch and @DaltonGang being on board with the plan. I would hate for Frank to get all the way up to the Great White North and breakdown....shipping charges in and out of Canada warrant a small loan application:lol:

That's all I have for now, I am just glad we are having some fun with this! Thanks Gents!

*EDIT* I didn't see the eighth person on the list. If JMurphy is on board, he can carry out the plan I mentioned above, again, assuming Jimmy and Dalton are okay with it. Jimmy would have to wait a little longer to receive HIS fatboy:bored:
CONUS
1. Captain Murphy
2. DaltonGang
3. IMATABOR
4. jhadsell1883
5. Shaversnapper
6. Andy6228
7. Nick55
8. JMurphy

Canada

1. JimmyTheChooch
2. Nick_O