What's new

Gillette Fatboy/Slim adjustable - can they still compete with today razors?

Thank you for your feedbacks, gentlemen. It really is useful to be a part of this comunity, there's a lot of knowledge here and a lot of fine gentlemen. You helped me put my thoughts in order so here's what I plan on doing:
- buy another Rockwell 6s as a backup - because I have the best shaves with it, the bulky head started to be like a bug in my head with the passage of time but now I appreciate it, i think it's beautiful.
- buy 2 Fatips piccolo as a backup for the classics, because I enjoy the shaves with Fatips.
- try and replace the aluminum handle of my 1968 first quarter Gillette Tech, whould a Razorock handle fit? They have a slim and short one, but i don't know about the threads, do they fit together?

lasta

Blade Biter
Thank you for your feedbacks, gentlemen. It really is useful to be a part of this comunity, there's a lot of knowledge here and a lot of fine gentlemen. You helped me put my thoughts in order so here's what I plan on doing:
- buy another Rockwell 6s as a backup - because I have the best shaves with it, the bulky head started to be like a bug in my head with the passage of time but now I appreciate it, i think it's beautiful.
- buy 2 Fatips piccolo as a backup for the classics, because I enjoy the shaves with Fatips.
- try and replace the aluminum handle of my 1968 first quarter Gillette Tech, whould a Razorock handle fit? They have a slim and short one, but i don't know about the threads, do they fit together?
Yes no problems with fit.

But instead of buying backups, take that as an escuse to try 2 new models.

I'm curious, why buy back-ups? Do you think your razors will break, get lost, or taken in a burglary? I think @lasta offers better advice.

I'm curious, why buy back-ups? Do you think your razors will break, get lost, or taken in a burglary? I think @lasta offers better advice.
Well...i gave my 6S to my father to see if it works for him but he didn't even try it so far; I like the Fatips and if i get the piccolos they look different.

The choice of your razor depends on your beard and your personal preferences. The Gillette Adjustables are great razors and will fit the needs of 90% of the male population. If you maintain them properly they will exceed your lifetime by far. So Slims are relatively cheap to buy and will keep their value. Maybe you have to replate them every 50 years, but this is less than 1$ a year.

But the star is the Old Type, the Design didn't change for 120 years and Merkur still sells a clone named 15C. It still gives you great shaves.

There is a slight difference in the threading, but those handles would generally be compatible with a vintage Gillette 3-piece head.

The vintage Tech uses #10-32 Unified threads. Most modern razors (except Fatip) use metric M5 x 0.80. The threads are so similar that modern handles will usually work with vintage Gillette 3-piece razors.

Fatip uses M4.5 x 0.75, IIRC. Most modern handles will not work with those.

There is a slight difference in the threading, but those handles would generally be compatible with a vintage Gillette 3-piece head.

The vintage Tech uses #10-32 Unified threads. Most modern razors (except Fatip) use metric M5 x 0.80. The threads are so similar that modern handles will usually work with vintage Gillette 3-piece razors.

Fatip uses M4.5 x 0.75, IIRC. Most modern handles will not work with those.
Great, thank you!

The choice of your razor depends on your beard and your personal preferences. The Gillette Adjustables are great razors and will fit the needs of 90% of the male population. If you maintain them properly they will exceed your lifetime by far. So Slims are relatively cheap to buy and will keep their value. Maybe you have to replate them every 50 years, but this is less than 1$ a year.

But the star is the Old Type, the Design didn't change for 120 years and Merkur still sells a clone named 15C. It still gives you great shaves.
Is Gillette Old Type a mild, medium or an aggressive razor?

I have owned a Fatboy and it has been replaced by modern razors. However, they all shaved just as well. The modern razors use higher quality materials and tighter design specifications, but doesn't make it shave better. It is still a pleasure to use something so well made, so that is why I am hooked on quality stainless steel razors.

I have a 1953 Super Speed that was my (now deceased) dad's first razor and I just picked up a 1959 Fatboy just because I've always wanted to try one. They are both great shavers and I'm just a fan of the nostalgia.

If you want to keep your 'den low' then keep the Tech and sell the rest, it is all anyone needs. If you want another razor then in my opinion the Slim is a delicate and refined precision shaving tool, and the Fatboy is a clumsy, unwieldy sledgehammer. Of course others love them. I would get both, just to be sure 😂
Truer words have never been posted!

I have used my Fatboy a couple of times. So far, I would say that my modern razors provide a closer and more comfortable shave. For example, my very first shave with the R41 was much better than my shaves with the Fatboy. Maybe I just need more experience with the Fatboy.

I have used my Fatboy a couple of times. So far, I would say that my modern razors provide a closer and more comfortable shave. For example, my very first shave with the R41 was much better than my shaves with the Fatboy. Maybe I just need more experience with the Fatboy.
Yes, you do. It and the Slim, if in good working order, are stunningly good razors. Is yours well regulated as to the blade adjustments? I just finished a shave with my 1961 195 set on 5 throughout and a Voskhod blade on it's second shave. Three easy passes and touch-up to get to my pretty high standard BBS.

I'm pretty sure the Fatboy is in tip-top shape because it was replated and adjusted by Back Roads Gold. So I'm pretty sure the razor is good.

It may be that I need more experience with the Fatboy, but I would point out, again, that the R41 was instantly easier to shave with and left me with a super smooth and zero-irritation shave. The Fatboy didn't. So for me the R41 is far more intuitive and performs much better (so far).

Reactions: CCS
I'm pretty sure the Fatboy is in tip-top shape because it was replated and adjusted by Back Roads Gold. So I'm pretty sure the razor is good.

It may be that I need more experience with the Fatboy, but I would point out, again, that the R41 was instantly easier to shave with and left me with a super smooth and zero-irritation shave. The Fatboy didn't. So for me the R41 is far more intuitive and performs much better (so far).
If Chris redid things, it's 100%. Probably just need to get used to it. But if it's not for you, a ready buyer will take it off your hands if and when the time comes. I don't think a guy should have to work too hard at making things work with various shaving tools and software.

Last edited:
Hi @StewB

Just a couple of thoughts. I understand you are using your 195 at setting 9. I would suggest that using a 195, or any adjustable at maximum setting while getting used to it may not be the best approach. It is an adjustable after all, and a 1 setting approach may blind you as to the flexibility and potential of the razor.

As I have mentioned in a couple of threads, using blade gap measurements of the 195 and Slim and subsequent Gillette adjustables, (I have no evidence they were subsequently changed) the 195 up to setting 5 mimics the Gillette Super Speed trio, above setting 5 it is unclear what the designers were attempting, except to either compete with the blade gaps of the Merkur Progress, introduced in 1955, and/or to give Gillette consumers an unprecedentedly efficient shave. The 195 settings 6-9 were, and remained, the highest blade gaps on any Gillette.

I would suggest using the 195 initially at settings 6-4 (in 3 passes) I think you will get a better idea of the subtleties of the Gillette adjustable range at these gaps.

I find the 195 and Slim to be superb and smooth shavers, at these ranges. Also very efficient. 7-9 settings, I find puzzling as to why they were included, although as a more efficient setting regime, say 8-6, they make for an interesting shave.

It runs best with the Gillette Plat, an IP or a SuperMax Diamond Edge in my usage, though it seems to like most blades.

Have fun experimenting with this masterpiece of vintage mass production industrial design art!

Last edited:
Top Bottom