What's new

Gillette Fatboy/Slim adjustable - can they still compete with today razors?

The premises are these:
- I want to keep my razor den low so I only need one more razor…
- I got so far: Fatip testina gentile, Fatip classic, Gillette Tech, Pearl Flexi, Rockwell 6s.

Should i buy one of the Gillettes mentioned in the title or there are way more good options with today razors? Are Gillettes adjustable becoming more and more irrelevant? Are they becoming relevant only from a historical point of view?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
If you want to keep your 'den low' then keep the Tech and sell the rest, it is all anyone needs. If you want another razor then in my opinion the Slim is a delicate and refined precision shaving tool, and the Fatboy is a clumsy, unwieldy sledgehammer. Of course others love them. I would get both, just to be sure 😂

Interesting question. I like (generally) heavier razors, which is why I prefer the Fatboy over the Slim. I get great shaves from my FB, and I also have the Flexi. The Flexi may offer you the option to "dial it in" more, as it is a non-stop thread. I also find it smoother, as it is substantially heaver than most other razors.

This is very much in the vein of the thread asking if modern razors have replaced the vintage offerings. I think what we see is that manufacturers have adopted the infinity adjustable pattern, rather than click-stops because they have a smaller customer pool. You'll make more buyers happy if they can have it "their way" and pre-set adjustments don't allow quite as much of that. The vintage adjustables were an effort to streamline production lines and address more of the market with a single offering.

The 195 was first followed by the Slim (there were a couple models before the 195, like the Toggle but Gillette nailed it with the 195 and Slim - three razors in one). I own both and both are capable of wonderful shaves. Between the two, I'd pick the Slim due to its smaller height head which works better for some people in tight spots like under your nose. Other than a Tech, I have zero experience with the other razors on your list but owning a clean adjustable Gillette in good working order should be considered by anyone who gives a damn about shaving. I suspect most vintage Gillettes exceed most lower cost modern razors but when you get to CNC razors, that could be a different story. It's like the golf pro you complain about your clubs to, he borrows them, and crushes every shot. Point being, for most guys, their technique is what's lacking, not the tool. But it seems that newer/younger shavers have forgotten about vintage razors and go for the new shiny ones with slick marketing (not to say they don't deserve their own accolades) and talk about precision this, blade gap that, solid stainless or titanium, etc., etc. when the truth of it is, Gillette solved shaving for men of every beard type by the end of the 60's IMO.

However, one other consideration is you might spend as much or more for a 195/Slim in great condition over one of the modern razors.

Last edited:
Personally I would take Gillette New or Aristocrat over a Gillette adjustable.

I would also take a modern razor like a Rex if you are set on an adjustable.
The Flexi is absolutely the value comparator to the Rex, so unless you wanted to make an investment for aesthetic reasons, it is an excellent buy. The Flexi runs (maybe) one setting lower in aggression than the Rex (e.g., Rex on 4 = Flexi on 5. generally, YMMV, etc., etc..)

The Flexi is absolutely the value comparator to the Rex, so unless you wanted to make an investment for aesthetic reasons, it is an excellent buy. The Flexi runs (maybe) one setting lower in aggression than the Rex (e.g., Rex on 4 = Flexi on 5. generally, YMMV, etc., etc..)
Sorry I should have expanded on my thoughts. I think Gillette Reached their pinnacle with the 3 piece NEWs, and the Aristocrats are mighty fine TTO razors. I never found the Adjustables as smooth or as efficient even though the head is similar to say a 46 crat. YMMV.

The old Gillette adjustables are still great tools! The modern razors, such as the Rex Ambassador offer more advanced materials, such as stainless steel. No worries about plating loss and more resistance to abuse. This is a matter of preference for the most part.
Those old Gillette razors, especially when taken care of, have stood the test of time. Other than a couple of restored/replated ancient Gillette open combs, my other Gillette razor go back to 1954 in original condition. They not only look great, they work great. I think 50-70 year razors that function as they did when new and still have all or almost all of their plating could be said to have stood the test of time. Lots of modern razors use zamak heads instead of SS, brass, copper, etc. (like those from EJ, Merkur, Muhle, etc.). Will they hold up as long as a 1940s-50s Tech? Gillettes can take a LOT of abuse and still perform like they did when new.

But agree 100%, it's a matter of preference.

Speaking of standing the test of time, I used a 1930ish NEW LC that I got for free as the seller didn't disclose the severely cracked Old Type ball handle (which I did repair) but I've been using a ball end Tech handle with the razor as it seems to balance slightly better. This is in original, unrestored, unreplated condition. I just now shaved with it using a new German Wilkinson Sword blade and got a wonderful BBS, no irritation shave. Are some modern razors more efficient or made from materials other than brass, sure. But in my world, a comfortable BBS is a comfortable BBS and I just did one with 3+ passes and buffing with a razor that's 90+ years old in original condition. Point being, the OP should pursue whatever they want but somehow thinking modern razors are better (as shavers) over a good condition vintage Gillette, I've got to wonder.

If you're not a collector, then you can just get a Slim and that's it. Fatboys are good, but Slims are a bit more efficient on the higher settings and also have a smaller head and are more easy to use under the nose. Other cool vintage Gillette razors that I would recommend are the NEW LC and SC, the New Improved and the #160 Goodwill.

For me, these are amongst my favorite Gillette razors and the best thing about them is that none of these are even remotely rare, expensive or hard to find in decent condition.

There're of course plenty of other better looking Gillette razors like the OC Aristocrats, NEW De Luxe, Toggles etc, but most of them have mainly a collectors value rather than being super amazing shavers.

The premises are these:
- I want to keep my razor den low so I only need one more razor…
- I got so far: Fatip testina gentile, Fatip classic, Gillette Tech, Pearl Flexi, Rockwell 6s.

Should i buy one of the Gillettes mentioned in the title or there are way more good options with today razors? Are Gillettes adjustable becoming more and more irrelevant? Are they becoming relevant only from a historical point of view?
I think you are pretty well equipped already! I'd be quite happy to shave with vintage Gillette razors, as they're not outdated IMHO (I'd choose a Canadian pre-war Tech, NEW SC and 1950s Super Speed, though). You have some good adjustables already with the Flexi and Rockwell 6s.

I think I like the Slim slightly better because I like a lighter razor. I'd rather not chose though. Both are great shavers and have some history. The Fatboy below was made the same year and quarter I was. Both have been to BRG and replated otherwise total cost would be below the price of a 6S. You can see the size difference in the picture.
Slim&Fatboy.jpg

This gets down to what shave is the best in your estimation. Nothing else matters. If you're getting great shaves with what you got...why do you need/want anything else? So many guys here seem to be so concerned with what else they should get/buy because of what they read or hear about. If you have the means...experiment. If you only want "X" amount of razors do your homework. If you prefer a specific type of shave...again do your homework. Asking someone else whether or not something is relevant is like asking do Martians play baseball? Who knows? Good luck...relax

Top Bottom