What's new

Gillette Fatboy/Slim adjustable - can they still compete with today razors?

Let me give you fine gentlemen an update, chronologically:

- gave the Rockwell 6S and the Fatip classic to my father;
- sold the Pearl Flexi;
- got a Razorock Lupo .58;
- got a Fatip piccolo classic and a Fatip piccolo gentile;
- got a Rockwell 6S cap with plates 1-3, 2-4 and Razorock thick and thin handle;
- sold the Fatip piccolo classic and the Gillette tech;
- sold the Razorock Lupo .58;
- sold the Fatip testina gentile and the Fatip piccolo gentile;
- got a Razorock Gamechanger .68;
- sold the Razorock Gamechanger .68.

At this point the only razor I was left in my den was the customized Razorock 6S. So I did this:
- got a cheap Gillette Slim adjustable, with poor finishing but the site i got it from specified it's in excellent shaving condition.
And i finally found a razor that can stand in front of Rockwell 6S with dignity. Last night was my first shave with Gillette Slim adjustable and it was phenomenal. Now I fell that I have to reconsider the Gillette tech and the entire Gillette world. Ooo...and something else: the Slim I got has slightly uneven blade gap but that doesn't alter the quality of the shave( I was so dissapointed when I saw the gap, before shaving).

You were all right: The Gillette adjustables can easily compete with today razors, they can still beat today razors even having gap issues.

Gillette solved shaving for men of every beard type by the end of the 60's IMO.

Nope. The Fatboy is a classic like the 57 Chevy. By today's standard a beast to handle. Not the best on curves but she's sure looks great in the driveway. I have a 58 that I rarely use but every so often on the weekend I back her out for a quick spin, a wash and shine, and then back into the garage (drawer) with my other classic's. I just don't have the heart to part with her. I'll leave that to my trustee.
IMG_3712 (1).JPG

Last edited:
The Slim is by far the best vintage razor I've tried. For me, not quite as good as my 6S, but I'm glad I have it.
Same.

I love my modern Wolfman, Rockwell 6S and Karve razors but my Slim still gets used a lot. Very versatile as it can be mild or quite aggressive. And the Slim has workEd well with every blade I have tried to date.

The Slim and Aristocrat are my favourite vintage Gillettes. I haven’t tried a FatBoy, which I am assuming would be similar to the Slim.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Personally I think anything named fatboy is overrated be it a razor or motorcycle. It's term people love to use. It's love is only slightly below sports fans loving any sound with ooooohhh in it so it can be a boo or a cheer or something in between. I'll never own the bike or razor by that name for that reason. Too common and overrated for my taste.

Personally I think anything named fatboy is overrated be it a razor or motorcycle. It's term people love to use. It's love is only slightly below sports fans loving any sound with ooooohhh in it so it can be a boo or a cheer or something in between. I'll never own the bike or razor by that name for that reason. Too common and overrated for my taste.
I always have and will continue to use the correct term, the Gillette Adustable razor as it was known in the UK. In the United States I believe the correct term is the 195 Adjustable.

'Fatboy' is a designation I despise and never use.

I find the Gillette Ajustable Razor to be an excellent tool.

Currently, I’m a student of injectors and am goofily thrilled with seeking, finding, buying, bartering, cleaning, polishing, and experimenting, with various new and vintage blades in them. My aging skin seems to like the injector method of shaving.

Like so many members here, I have collected just about every popular Gillette model. Being a senior now I have passing thoughts of selling most of them which begs the question, which ones do I keep? I hope this answer helps you.

The Slim. It very affective on any setting. Pairs well with most quality blades, modern or vintage stainless. It’s attractive in your bathroom or on a holiday excursion. And has a pretty darn good track record. Have you ever read a posting about someone having an issue with a Slim?

The iconic razor of the 20th Century. Some may argue.

Is there any real difference in the quality of the shave or the end result between the Gillette Adjustable ”Slim” and the Gillette Adjustable ”Fatboy”? Or is it only about the visual preference or the ”slim” factor that's causing more maneuverability( I don't know if this is a real word, not a native english speaker)?
As for me I will always have a bias towards Gillette adjustables because of the engineering behind them and because a Gilette Adjustable hidden in my grandfather's drawer was the razor I admired growing up telling myself that it will be my razor when i'll grow a beard.

I think it’s a matter of preference. Personally I have 4 or 5 of each and they all have a different personality. Most Slim guys like the smaller profile of its head and the lighter handle, while FB enthusiast like the heft and the heat retention in addition to the brawny appearance. My first adjustable was my Dads and he preferred a 40’s Super Speed over his Slim. It was comical back in the 70’s with 5 brothers and an animated father always imparting his opinion of things.

I like the shorter head curve of the Slim, but I’m probably just splitting hairs, PI. The most important thing is to get one in good working order and not drop damaged. Most are easily fixable but really look them over before you buy.

Attachments

• D05795F6-4683-4B73-8EF6-9094D6E08DA3.png
    D05795F6-4683-4B73-8EF6-9094D6E08DA3.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Vintage Gillette razors are still relevant. These razors were the standard shaving equipment during their time. Paired with the right blade for your skin they should shave as well as modern razors in 2-3 passes. I have used a lot of modern razors and vintage ones still have a place in my den.

I think mine are a bit different....; like the small Superadjustable (84mm, O2) a lot, and also FatBoy's (have a few). Slims are OK, but for some reason I tend to gravitate to the others......

Currently, I’m a student of injectors and am goofily thrilled with seeking, finding, buying, bartering, cleaning, polishing, and experimenting, with various new and vintage blades in them. My aging skin seems to like the injector method of shaving.

Like so many members here, I have collected just about every popular Gillette model. Being a senior now I have passing thoughts of selling most of them which begs the question, which ones do I keep? I hope this answer helps you.

The Slim. It very affective on any setting. Pairs well with most quality blades, modern or vintage stainless. It’s attractive in your bathroom or on a holiday excursion. And has a pretty darn good track record. Have you ever read a posting about someone having an issue with a Slim?

The iconic razor of the 20th Century. Some may argue.

Agreed. My 1962 Slim, which cost its first owner $1.50 or about $14.75 in today's money, was used and abused for about 10 years and then left with its last blade inside to rust for a few decades. Yet it still works fine today, notwithstanding scratches and wear to the nickel plating. The modern tribute to this classic, the Rex Ambassador, is better in my opinion, as well it should be for $295. But at that price, for me it serves no practical purpose except for enthusiasts and hobbyists who can appreciate its tribute to the original (which is legit, so Rex lovers don't get mad at me). The Slim is a great example of a mass-produced but well-made consumer good in our pre-disposable society.

Guys i would love to have a Rex Ambassador, but every time i get the urge I just can’t seem to justify it when 300 Benny’s can buy so many other things I enjoy about the hobby like vintage soaps and aftershaves. So I guess what I’m saying am I my gonna really get that utility, or of the happy value out of it? Maybe, or maybe not. But I will confess if I’m going to buy something top shelf in the modern razor department that ambassador is at the top of the list.

Top Bottom