What's new

Does the Gillette Slim adjustable have the same 'head heavy feeling' as the Rockwell 6C?

Hi,

I owned a Rockwell 6C and found it much too head heavy for my liking.

I'm quite interested in getting a Gillette Slim adjustable (for a number of reasons), however, I noticed in this video (
) at 4:40 he shows the balance point of the Gillette Slim and it is very close to the head of the razor. Now, you be may thinking that it is obvious that it would 'feel' just as 'head heavy' as the Rockwell 6C (or even more so), however, I wonder if it is not just the weight distribution that contributes to the feeling of head heaviness. I wonder if the overall weight of the razor contributes to this feeling, in an independent way (the Rockwell 6C weighs 100g, whereas the Gillette Slim weighs 71g). To elaborate, if two razors have exactly the same balance point, but one weighs 100g and one 70g, while the weight distribution ratio is identical, the actual weight of the head end of the 70g razor is lighter than the 100g razor. Therefore, the 70g razor does not require as much energy/force to hold the head end in the same position as the 100g does.

Does the Gillette Slim adjustable have the same 'head heavy feeling' as the Rockwell 6C?

What are your thoughts?

Don’t own a rockwell.

Will say the slim has a heavy head feeling that seems exaggerated by the thinner handle. It doesn’t seem like a “grotesque“ imbalance but it’s very much there. Doesn’t stop me from using though.

The later short super adjustables, while on paper seem like they should be worse feel better balanced IMO. Not sure what the difference is but it’s very notable. Shave is very similar

and yes, a weight imbalance is going to be more of an issue on a heavier razor.

post an ad on BST if you’re looking. Luckily they’re common and cheap.

Last edited:
Don’t own a rockwell.

Will say the slim has a heavy head feeling that seems exaggerated by the thinner handle. It doesn’t seem like a “grotesque“ imbalance but it’s very much there. Doesn’t stop me from using though.

The later short super adjustables, while on paper seem like they should be worse feel better balanced IMO. Not sure what the difference is but it’s very notable. Shave is very similar

and yes, a weight imbalance is going to be more of an issue on a heavier razor.

post an ad on BST if you’re looking. Luckily they’re common and cheap.
How can it be that the short super adjustable feels less head heavy to you? That doesn't make any sense... Right?

I think I read that your account needs to have a certain amount of activity/posts to be able to use the buy/sell/trade forums. My account is quite new and don't use it very often so I'm not sure that will be possible for
me.

I think I read that your account needs to have a certain amount of activity/posts to be able to use the buy/sell/trade forums. My account is quite new and don't use it very often so I'm not sure that will be possible for
me.
Just make some more post and you will be able too soon enough...

How can it be that the short super adjustable feels less head heavy to you? That doesn't make any sense... Right?

me.
Well, compared to the slim. Seems the handle design makes a lot of difference.

for Me the ergonomics of the long handle super adjustable isn’t my thing. It’s not bad but given a choice I’m going short handle.

Well, compared to the slim. Seems the handle design makes a lot of difference.

for Me the ergonomics of the long handle super adjustable isn’t my thing. It’s not bad but given a choice I’m going short handle.
I've found the balance point of both of these razors to be about the same distance down the handle from the bottom of the base plate. The Rockwell seems a tad heavier and has a longer handle, so depending on how each razor is being held in the hand, the perception of head heaviness could vary. YMMV comes to mind. I personally have no issues with using either razor and both deliver great shaves.

Hi,

I owned a Rockwell 6C and found it much too head heavy for my liking.

I'm quite interested in getting a Gillette Slim adjustable (for a number of reasons), however, I noticed in this video (
) at 4:40 he shows the balance point of the Gillette Slim and it is very close to the head of the razor. Now, you be may thinking that it is obvious that it would 'feel' just as 'head heavy' as the Rockwell 6C (or even more so), however, I wonder if it is not just the weight distribution that contributes to the feeling of head heaviness. I wonder if the overall weight of the razor contributes to this feeling, in an independent way (the Rockwell 6C weighs 100g, whereas the Gillette Slim weighs 71g). To elaborate, if two razors have exactly the same balance point, but one weighs 100g and one 70g, while the weight distribution ratio is identical, the actual weight of the head end of the 70g razor is lighter than the 100g razor. Therefore, the 70g razor does not require as much energy/force to hold the head end in the same position as the 100g does.

What are your thoughts?

Not even close. Feels like the head of the 6C is equal to the weight of the entire slim :D

I think Gillette did a great job of perfecting their past razors. I don't use the Slim, I have it, but I do shave with the Super Speed, it's a fantastic razor. It puts some razors like Yates to shame. Perfect amount of blade feel, no drag, very smooth, and a close comfortable shave.

Honestly I'd recommend any beginner to DE shaving to get a Super Speed off Etsy or eBay over any of the current DE razors. It's so easy to use, maintain and get a great shave.

It is “head heavy” by your definition, but the head doesn’t feel heavy. There is no standard balance point in razor world, every user chooses what’s best for him. I like “head heavy” razors considering the balance point, but I don’t like heavy razors.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I don't own 6C, but I do have his biological brother "6S".
The 6S is a completely solid razor, and its base plate is twice as thick as a normal three-piece razor.

The Slim is a TTO razor with an almost completely hollow head, and most of the adjustable mechanisms are hidden in the base plate and handle.

So in terms of weight characteristics, they vary a lot.

The Slim is head-heavy, the SuperAdjustable more so. I like a light to medium weight razor with a head-heavy balance. The Slim is too heavy for my taste, but a Black Beauty 109 is perfect. The Lord L6 with zamak head and aluminum handle also strikes this balance very well.

Top Bottom