What's new

Gentlemanly Restraint Until End of Lent (GRUEL) 2023

Yes!
I will be working on:
No Slander
No Gossip
No Mocking.
Making a wee part of the world significantly better for five weeks! Well done.

Glad no one is restraining from shaving!

Really enjoying a week of dailies with this ATT copper.
Image3678316631425477886.jpg

I had a big interview this morning, so after dropping off my son at school, I spent some time in Adoration, came home, worked out, took a cold shower, and had a nice deliberate 3 pass using Barbasol (GASP) that I wanted to use up, along with a Gillette Rubie in my 34C. Smooth as butter!

Count me in. I'm not Catholic, or any other denomination that observes lent. But... I am Christian and believe in self restraint (with the occasional deprivation for self reflection). I'm also going to work on my language. From palm Sunday to Easter will be alcohol free. Good Friday to easter I may do a complete fast. I used to every year but haven't in 3 or 4 years.
Well, if you ever have any questions about the Catholic Church or faith, feel free to ask, here or DM.

My shaves for Lent:

Proraso red pre-shave (if necessary)
Proraso red soap
Omega 10049 boar brush
Gillette Fatboy razor
vintage Schick Krona Comfort razor blade
witch hazel
Proraso red aftershave

I won’t be changing flavors of soap or aftershave or the brush.
The razor or blade may change.

Looks like this so far:

1. Dominic
2. djmillard
3. ChriWilson
4. CANES
5. CzechCzar
6. Titleist
7. Hannah’s Dad
8. Leverspro
9. TheSynergist
10. 5whiskey

As the French say, “bon courage“ for these forty days, gentlemen. May our fasts, prayers, and almsgiving form us into better men and conform us to our Lord Jesus. May we be true disciples of the Master.

I’m hoping to get a lot of reading done. I have plenty of Catholic books. Introduction to the Devout Life by Saint Francis de Sales is one I’d like to finally crack open. I’ve had it for years. I was fortunate to get the two volume The Three Ages of the Interior Life by Fr. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange, O.P. I read the booklet The Three Conversions of the Spiritual Life by the same author some years back. That’s a mini version of the two volume work. The booklet was great, so I’d like to read the full version. It would take a long time for me to get through it all, so I won’t expect to read but a part of vol. 1, if I start it at all.

I purchased Prosaro Pre-shave cream yesterday, I find pre shave oil not beneficial at this time. So one day left till ZERO shave purchases. Good thing I will be at Church from 10-2 ish. I'll ask wifey-poo to hide my laptop 'till tomorrow. :laugh:

Am honestly embracing Lent this year for a multitude of reasons. Decided to close the shave den until Easter.
Here's the new routine...yuck. First shave: 5/10 LOL.😆
20230226_093916.jpg

Excellent shave today with the Proraso red products. I did a true WTG, XTG, and ATG shave today. Usually on my neck, which has patches of whiskers growing in several directions, I just shave north to south then south to north then a true ATG. Today, I shaved true WTG and XTG passes. Silky smooth.

In yesterday's Evening Prayer, the final intercession for the dead was this:

Let the dead rise in your glory,
– to enjoy your love for ever.

It made me think of the people I knew who died not knowing the love they desired and needed. Whether it was a husband not responding to his wife regarding the affection she wanted from him or a girl who didn't receive a mother's love who grew to seek that love in a sexual relationship with a woman, or a young woman who married several times wanting a love these men couldn't give her, because they weren't the man she truly wanted. I have a couple of friends who died in their 30s without the love of a wife. I hope that now these people finally will know God's mercy and enjoy the love of God--the love they could never find in another person--in heaven. "Let the dead rise in your glory, O Lord, to enjoy your love forever."

Tim Gray is a big advocate for lectio divina, and he encourages people to end with a resolution (so lectio, meditatio, oratio, contemplatio, and resolutio). He said the idea is not his own, but he likes it. My resolution was to show people love, whether they just needed an ear to listen to them, a brother to help with a chore, a shared meal and companionship, or just a smile for a stranger. I'm usually an usher at mass, and during the collection, I made it a point to smile at people and say thank you. I greeted people more, and just tried to be a friendly face. For me, this is an effort. I'm usually the guy who just nods his head with a smile and continues on his way. I'm quiet and reserved.

Am honestly embracing Lent this year for a multitude of reasons. Decided to close the shave den until Easter.
Here's the new routine...yuck. First shave: 5/10 LOL.😆 View attachment 1612498
A Lent full of bad shaves. :) I'm sure you'll have better ones as time goes by using these primitive tools. :p Actually, I've used the AS gel for years. Not lately, because I've been using Nivea balm for a change for those days when a balm is needed. However, since I've been using Dad's old Gillette razors (the young folk call them vintage :)) and shaving soaps/creams over the last decade, I can say, I have no desire for shave gel or cartridge razors. I actually looked at cartridge razors the other day. Man! They ain't cheap!

Top Bottom