What's new

Fun With Above The Tie (ATT) Razors

Windsor Pro aluminum used yesterday and today and the shave was pretty outstanding. The shave feels mild but ends close with few touch ups needed. It's light, but I really didn't think it needed more weight. The pro Calypso handle has less grip than the standard Windsor but it felt fine, perfect balance and easy to use with no fear of slipping. The other interesting thing on this was it came with a soft silicone washer which gave me the option to loosen the handle and open the gap a little more. I only opened it up yesterday about half a turn and it was still smooth but gave a little more blade feel. Nice razor that I like using and works well for me.

20230518_201325.jpg

I think the pro was outsourced manufacturing but don’t quote me on that. You should be able to tell on their site under the faqs/razor info

Was the blade gap the only difference between the pro and non-pro?

I think the pro was outsourced manufacturing but don’t quote me on that. You should be able to tell on their site under the faqs/razor info
That one of the big differences but there's also a few others. The Windsor aluminum and both stainless and aluminum Pros cover the blade less than the Windsor stainless. This was supposed to be intentional to bring back the sing of the classic line, more audible feedback that was missing from the Windsor clamping more of the blade. Link to the Windsor Pro info here.
The pro handles are also more polished with less grip than the US made versions. I'm not a fan of the stainless Pro Kronos handle, for it's weight it's just a little to slick for me many don't have an issue with it. The pro Calypso handle also has slightly less grip than the standard aluminum Windsor model but works great with both versions for me.

Used the Windsor Pro for the past 2 days and it shaves extremely close and feels pretty mild. It has one of the largest gaps available from Above the Tie but doesn't have a lot of blade feel, ATT said they slightly altered the the blade angle on the Pro line to make it smoother and I think it's true. I do like the audible feedback on this, or sing that was brought back for the Pro line.

20230521_220531.jpg

Used the Windsor Pro for the past 2 days and it shaves extremely close and feels pretty mild. It has one of the largest gaps available from Above the Tie but doesn't have a lot of blade feel, ATT said they slightly altered the the blade angle on the Pro line to make it smoother and I think it's true. I do like the audible feedback on this, or sing that was brought back for the Pro line.

View attachment 1658170
Sounds like a good result. I’ve got a SB90 stainless plate being delivered this week. I’m wondering if it has the tendency to bite if not enough care given would you say, in your experience?

Sounds like a good result. I’ve got a SB90 stainless plate being delivered this week. I’m wondering if it has the tendency to bite if not enough care given would you say, in your experience?
The Pro is much milder than almost every other razor I have with a similar gap. I do think the Pro has less blade exposure which would explain why it has less blade feel but the exposure listed is uncovered blade from the cap not the plane from the cap to the guard.
Just don't use pressure since the weight of the stainless should be enough. Which cap do you plan on using? I wanted to try the different caps with the Pro's SB90 baseplate.

The ss SB90 plate with ss Windsor cap worked great for me. On my first go, it was quite efficient. The razor produced a close shave with no weepers, nicks or cuts. I’m wondering if it somehow also works well with different caps?

I’d read it was super aggressive. This was not my experience with it. I feel @Pineapple has described it very well. I’m happy I picked it up. It was something like $3 before shipping on their close out page. It will be in rotation with a few other ATT pieces that really work well for my face.

The ss SB90 plate with ss Windsor cap worked great for me. On my first go, it was quite efficient. The razor produced a close shave with no weepers, nicks or cuts. I’m wondering if it somehow also works well with different caps?

I’d read it was super aggressive. This was not my experience with it. I feel @Pineapple has described it very well. I’m happy I picked it up. It was something like $3 before shipping on their close out page. It will be in rotation with a few other ATT pieces that really work well for my face.
I used the same setup this morning, Windsor cap with the SB90 baseplate. Only real difference from the Pro cap was it felt slightly more rigid on the blade, both feel and shave great. I originally tried to swap in a different cap but ended up using the Windsor.

20230523_221035.jpg

I’m wondering if it somehow also works well with different caps?
I tried to use the Windsor aluminum cap on the SB90 plate and it wouldn't fit. I measured the pins and they are closer than the other caps. Even the Stainless Windsor cap pins are barely wider but the SB90 plate will fit. On the Windsor Pro the pins are slightly wider. The classic cap fits but is slightly shorter.

Saturday until this morning I was using the Windsor SSRH, great shave but I think the SB90 Pro base is slightly more efficient for me. This morning switched to the Windsor SSRH2 which I've had the plate since last year but just used it for the first time with the Windsor cap. This gives great close shaves but with more blade feel which I do like.

20230530_221542.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Razor: @Above The Tie Mixed Metal CH1 (Windsor Stainless Cap, CH1 Copper Base, TiBam Radiator Titanium Handle)
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (2)
Brush: @Rudy Vey Marbled Butterscotch (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Chiseled Face Sherlock
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Musk
20230530_152326~2.jpg

Superb razor! :cool:

Please visit my Journal (link below) for shave notes and musings: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-12262316

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20230604
20230604_113108~2.jpg

Razor: @Above The Tie X1 Slant (Evgeny Koshelev Handlebar Ti Handle)
Blade: Schick Proline P (7)
Brush: AP Shave Co Lemon Drop (@apshaveco 24mm G5C Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Cyril R Salter Solid Shaving Soap
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve
Balm: Nivea Sensitive Cool

Superb DFS++ shave! :cool:

Please visit my Journal (link below) for shave notes and musings: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-12268794

Cream: Barbasol 1919
Razor/Blade:
Face/Neck/Head: ATT SSMR2 .4 and Timeless Ti handle w/ Personna Lab Blue
Aluminum: Omega stick
Aftershave:
Face/Neck - DIY Snake Bite
Head/Neck - Nivea Sensitive

full

10/10

Contrasting. From the more aggressive heavy weight charcoal goods yesterday to a light weight mild feeling shave today. Both excellent and efficient.

Also, a tribute send off for Above the Tie as they are now closed for good today. 12 years of making some great razors.

Top Bottom