What's new

Fun With Above The Tie (ATT) Razors

I just tossed a Crystal today after 4 uses. Its first shave was in my ATT M1...very nice. I’m just looking for something new. I have a couple of every blade sold on “try a blade” or “razor blade club”. Whatever... I have pretty much any blade someone might mention. It’s either that or I reach in with my eyes closed and suffer whatever comes out.

Perhaps you should try a Nacet, personna med preps, bic chrome plats, or anything on the sharper side since your m1 is so mild.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
But think of all the money you are shaving not using razor cartridges! Besides I know you are more frugal than many of us. Give you a case of Arko and you are happier than pig in a mud puddle.
I really am. I'm going through my stuff today. My War Department done threw down the gauntlet! Let's just say a PIF is soon to be posted, or several. I need to get rid of some nicer soaps, I've got neckties that are so old they're back in style again, Aftershave I'll never use....so many on here have been so nice to me. It's past time I gave back.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20210204_204312~2.jpg

Razor: ATT MM CR1
Blade: Silver Star (3)
Brush: Heritage Collection Ever-Ready 500E (TNS 26mm Quartermoon Knot)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Ach.Brito Mogno
Aftershave: Bootlegger's Bay Rum

Three passes + touch-up. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

The ATT MM CR1 (Windsor Pro Stainless Top Cap and Handle plus Copper Baseplate) is a wonderful razor. Likes a fairly neutral angle. ATT lists the CR1 as a medium efficient plate with a .58mm blade gap. Plenty efficient to handle a 24hr growth of my 'barbed wire' beard with three passes plus some touch-up on my problem areas.

Wonderful shave! 😎

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Here is an invitation to starting me down the road to RAD perdition possibly. The ATT Windsor with the .58 gap is extremely attractive and intriguing to me. Since others on this thread seem to have fairly wide ranging collections, do any of you also have a Feather AS-D2 and have any observations as to how it compares with an ATT with said gap?

Here is an invitation to starting me down the road to RAD perdition possibly. The ATT Windsor with the .58 gap is extremely attractive and intriguing to me. Since others on this thread seem to have fairly wide ranging collections, do any of you also have a Feather AS-D2 and have any observations as to how it compares with an ATT with said gap?

I haven't had a AS-D2 for a long time. If my memory serves me right, I would say it would still be considerable milder than the R-windsor. I will say I found the stainless R plate to be milder than the Cooper

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I haven't had a AS-D2 for a long time. If my memory serves me right, I would say it would still be considerable milder than the R-windsor. I will say I found the stainless R plate to be milder than the Cooper
Merci!

I can't help with this direct comparison as I'm still waiting on my Windsor M polished head but the AS-D1 I had years ago was so mild it was unusable for me!!

I received yesterday a copper ch1 baseplate and a SS top cap in satin finish, both from the "returns" section and also further discounted with a sale and free shipping. Looking forward to trying it. I think the copper baseplate may be the heaviest in my collection.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I received yesterday a copper ch1 baseplate and a SS top cap in satin finish, both from the "returns" section and also further discounted with a sale and free shipping. Looking forward to trying it. I think the copper baseplate may be the heaviest in my collection.

The copper base plates do have some 'heft' to them. ;)

The CH1 is a good plate - efficient and still smooth. :)

I used the copper ch1 plate today for the first time. It perhaps wasn't the fairest maiden voyage as I'm participating in the one-blade-in-February challenge and I've been using the same blade for a few weeks. This is a super heavy rig but I got a very close shave with it with only one small nick. If this handle and plate age to the same red color as my other copper razor I'll be very happy. Sorry for the terrible pic.
Imagepipe_6.jpg
Imagepipe_5.jpg

I used the copper mixed metal ch1 for the second time today, but first time with a new and sharp blade. It gave a very good and issue free shave. I don't think I'll be adding any more ATT stuff to my collection, but it's nice to have an example of a classic American razor, especially in copper.
Imagepipe_9.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Razor: ATT Mixed Metal Windsor Pro CM1
Blade: Silver Star (2)
Brush: Simpson The Duke 3 Synthetic
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Martin de Candre Nature
Aftershave/Fragrance: Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum
20210302_124701~2.jpg

Was in the mood for a nice mild shave and decided to try the ATT Mixed Metal Windsor Pro CM1 - the mildest of the three copper base plates. Very, mild. Narrow angles. Ride the cap (shallow) with minimal pressure or ride the bar (steep) and apply judicious pressure. Managed to get a reasonably close shave. :cool:

I feel like I could use some help with this razor. Used a brand new Nacent today. Shave was close with no nicks, but it took an extra pass to get there. Not sure about blade or shave angle yet. It's a CH1 plate.

I see you also have the Perma Sharp and used that blade before. Don't know the Nacet, but I get super-BBS-shaves free of irritation with the Perma Sharp with the Windsor SSH1. So much so that the Windsor has send my R41 into retirement.
The Perma Sharp is sharp like a Feather to me, but more gentle (less bite) and it's more consistent over days. Which is why it has totally replaced the Feather, which has been a former favourite blade for me.

On the angle, I think it's a bit of getting used to as the Windsor has such a - I love it! - muted blade feel. As I'm finding the angle intuitively I wasn't aware of it, so I had to watch it this morning to tell it. I still think that communicating angles can only be a starting point and as you already got close shaves, you will find it yourself anyway best. However when watching myself with the SSH1 this morning, I think this picture #5 in the section "More pictures" comes closest to what I do:
Badger & Blade Wiki - Blade Angle
It's the photo where the description next to it starts with "Now we are shaving!"
I think that's a good starting point to have your skin build a line that meets the safety bar and the blade edge and you probably deviate from it a bit depending on the direction of the pass (WTG/XTG/ATG). Ah, and I don't use any pressure at all, the weight of the Windsor does it best on it's own.

--

210206_13938-AboveTheTie-Windsor_Atlas_Stand-Chubby2MFT.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom