What's new

Fire pit for the yard.

So, I've been researching fire pits and narrowed it down to either the solo stove bonfire or the breeo. This will sit on a concrete patio. My only concern is how much radiant heat is given off. Read lots of reviews that give both high marks but also reviews that the heat doesn't radiant outward as much as upward. Yea I know heat rises. Anybody here have either one or other suggestions. Must be wood burning options.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'll probably spell this wrong, but have you looked into a "chimenea?" Sorry for the spelling.

I love the chimachia (spelling is broke here too) idea. I have had several other fire pits, but if I were to do another, I would either do the chimachia or a brick fireplace. None of the pre-made ones have held up very well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I love the chimachia (spelling is broke here too) idea. I have had several other fire pits, but if I were to do another, I would either do the chimachia or a brick fireplace. None of the pre-made ones have held up very well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Having looked into a chimachia it's not what I want, good idea and I appreciate the response.

We hd one built on our patio several years ago. The inside is 4' x 4'. Make sure it is built correctly, used fire brick and the correct mortar. We love ours.
3077A355-4557-46FB-AF24-B5B4E5973CF7_1_105_c.jpeg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'll have to take a picture of my Hillbilly fire pit! (one of the advantages of living in the country AND being the craziest neighbor)

Is the idea with them Breeo and Solo Stove that you make holes at the underside of the container so you get some sort of jet stream to form? Heat goes up, makes vacuum at the middle, and fresh air comes rushing into the wood?

I took part of my bonus cheque and bought this, including a matching cover grate. It is made using expired propane cylinders (the BIG ones, not the BBQ tanks). Measures about 24" diameter and is painted with heat resistant black pain. Looks great, radiates a TON of warm and, given the thickness of the metal (guesstimating 3/16" thick), I doubt it rusts out any time soon.
firepit.jpg

Last edited:
So, I've been researching fire pits and narrowed it down to either the solo stove bonfire or the breeo. This will sit on a concrete patio. My only concern is how much radiant heat is given off. Read lots of reviews that give both high marks but also reviews that the heat doesn't radiant outward as much as upward. Yea I know heat rises. Anybody here have either one or other suggestions. Must be wood burning options.

My brother has the solo stove and it puts out a massive amount of radiant heat. We visited over Christmas and that thing kept us all warm enough to spend time out on the patio in December in New Hampshire. He put about a cord of wood through it this winter, which is either a testament to how much use it got, or evidence it's a wood hog.

Old metal barrels work well cut in half. Like the 55gal size.

The trick is to not cut them in half. I use mine as a pit barrel smoker. Load it up with charcoal and hickory chips, hang some chickens and pork butts on the rebar, and crack open a cold beer. It puts out a goodly amount of heat, and the BBQ is fantastic. I'm a redneck from Maine though, and my wife does not appreciate the aesthetics. Fortunately 55 gallon drums are light, and easy to put in the garage when not in use.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
That's faux city redneck. Real rednecks just build a fire in the middle of the yard and put lawn chairs around it.
Real rednecks (from Texas anyway) just find a bend in a back road, build a fire there, and invite everyone that know. Sometimes we even named the spots like “the golf spot” even though there were no golf courses around. When the cops show up everyone just leaves, that way no ones house is involved.

Good times. Doubt that would work now days.

Top Bottom