What's new

*Battle Royale* Your Thoughts, My Brush: Edwin Jagger v Omega v Vulfix v Parker

I have been going at this incessantly for a few days now and it has gone far enough. My shaving kit is incomplete without a brush!

I'm picking up the Edwin Jagger DE89-11 as my first DE razor contraption, and after much deliberation might I add.
Colonel Ichabod Conk Safety Razor Stand for holding my chromed DE razor and future badger brush.
Proraso Shaving Soap, New Formulation or Shave Creme
Now, I need to cement a solid choice for a beginner who does not want to skimp on quality and feel, but who isn't made of money. My fiance has already given the green light on choosing the brush that I FEEL would be best, since it's an investment in a face she loves so much. My price range is $40-$60 ($70-$80 if it's an obvious winner and I gotta have it.)

I've done a lot of research on many websites including B&B (thank you for everyone's previously posted comments!, I am really enjoying this forum) so I have narrowed down my top choices. Other informed suggestions are welcome if they fit what I am looking for.

Criteria:
Medium sized brush as I plan on focusing on cup/bowl lathering.
Soft tipped Badger bristles in either Best/Super or Silvertip.
Decent size that's not too short or uncomfortable to wield.
Must be good for sensitive skin. Not too much abrasiveness.
I would prefer a cherry or olive wood handle but faux ivory would do if the brush mattered more than looks.
Decent backbone that would have a little spring so the bristles aren't all mashed in the center.

Now for the Show Down!

Parker 100% Silvertip Badger Brush w Olivewood Handle ($60)
http://www.chicagoshaving.com/parke...-deluxe-olivewood-handle-with-free-stand.html
I love the look for the handle with the wood grain and chrome bottom accents. I think it would make an awesome pair for the listed gear above. However, Parker seems like a decent brush choice. Neither too much good or too much bad. And for $60, there may be exceptional brushes that I am missing out on because of the looks. (Side note, I can't find measurements on this brush - any help would be nice)

Vulfix 2234S Super Badger ($60)
http://www.shoeboxshaveshop.com/vulfix-2234s--super-badger-shaving-b2234.html
A lot of you speak very highly of Vulfix. This style seems to be within my range of size but I'm worried, that like Simpson, it will be too dense for sensitive skin and meant for a harder soap.​

Simpsons Commodore X2 Best Badger ($72)
http://www.shoeboxshaveshop.com/simpsons-commodore-x1--best-badger-shaving-brus1.html
Again, a lot of praise from those who own in this forum and other review sites. That being said, I have heard that this is very dense and great for harder soaps. The price is also a bit up there for a 22mm knot. If the Simpson brand is the gotta have, any educated suggestions for alternatives in their line would be appreciated.

Omega 636 Lucretia Borgia's Silvertip ($55-$85)
http://www.shoeboxshaveshop.com/omega-636--best-silver636.html
I like the style of the Omega lineup and can enjoy the fact that they are made in Italy but I am a little turned off by all the gold they have on their brushes. As for bristles, there is a lot of praise that they are super soft but have some backbone, however, I am worried it may be too mushy. Your thoughts and experience would be great on that. Also, I have listed two prices because they offer a 21mm & 23mm knot. It possible the larger knot would be a little dense and therefore not as floppy? But then again, is it really worth the $30?

Edwin Jagger EJ287 Super Badger ($66-$77)
http://www.shoeboxshaveshop.com/edjaejsubaiv1.html
And now the Edwin Jagger. I have heard tremendous commentary on the EJ brushes. One member did a photo comparison of 3 EJ Pure, Best, and Silvertip brushes that helped a lot in my hunt. However, in that post, it showed the Silvertip getting mushed in the center and being marginal better than the Best. Now, this bristle is Super badger so is that a healthy median of resiliency and softness? The lack of non-wood handles is a bit frustrating, but I suppose Faux Ivory would suffice if the EJ trumps all others.

Semogue Owners Club 2 Silvertip in Cherry Wood ($90)
http://www.italianbarber.com/semogue?page=2
I'm kind of throwing them out there in the ring. Love the Cherry Wood styling and chrome ring. Completely handmade in Portugal. Heard wonderful things about it, but I feel this will wind up being the next one? 90 bucks? It is 24mm, as well. Is that too much or would that be wonderful luxury for my face. :drool:

There you have it. The contenders. Your views, opinions, thoughts will be directly responsible for the future of my face care regime. As if I needed to tell you, I'm only buying one right now so I won't have the luxury of getting a couple and testing them out.

*Any variations of the brands that I've listed that provide greater value (cheaper, fit requirements better, etc.) is of course welcomed and appreciated. I don't have to spend the farm on a brush. One last note, please try to avoid a lot of acronyms as I am not as skilled and wise as yourself, and I would be too embarrassed to ask. :blushing:

I wish to take this time to thank anybody who reads this post, let alone posts a comment. I have tried to be brief in my words, yet succinct. I look forward to being a responsible and constructive member of this band of brothers! B&B

Welcome to B&B

Here's one vote for the Simpsons Commodore X2

BUT... you may want to look at WCS (one of the B&B vendors). Add a little more to the order (some extra packs of blades or another soap) and get free shipping

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Simpson-Commodore-X2-Best-Badger-Shaving-Brush-X2B_p_391.html

If you have not already done so, stop into the Hall of Fame and tell everyone a little about yourself

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/30-Hall-of-Fame

Hey thanks turtle for the warm welcome!
I will definitely stop by the Hall of Fame as soon as I get my gear in order - I feel a little incomplete in a place like this.

I appreciate the response too. I hear you on the Simpsons Commodore X2, and especially at WCS price! But how would you say the density fairs for sensitive skin? Is it still soft enough to give a luxurious lather but with enough backbone to ensure the years? I hear it's pretty dense.

Thanks again!

Hey there Dan and welcome to B&B

i sent you a pm with my thoughts and hope I was able to help.

gl on the journey

Welcome to the forum! I don't want to cause you any confusion in your decision and I haven't tried any of the brushes you mentioned but you may also want to consider one of the hobbyist brush makers here on B&B. I went through the same thing you're going through a couple of months ago when buying my first brush. I was trying to decide what to wisely spend my money on and ended up having a brush custom made that is well within your price range. He really helped me with a handle style, knot type and loft that met my needs. I couldn't have been happier with my decision. Good luck and I'm sure you'll get a lot great feedback from very knowledgeable people here.

Welcome to the forum! I don't want to cause you any confusion in your decision and I haven't tried any of the brushes you mentioned but you may also want to consider one of the hobbyist brush makers here on B&B. I went through the same thing you're going through a couple of months ago when buying my first brush. I was trying to decide what to wisely spend my money on and ended up having a brush custom made that is well within your price range. He really helped me with a handle style, knot type and loft that met my needs. I couldn't have been happier with my decision. Good luck and I'm sure you'll get a lot great feedback from very knowledgeable people here.

Where would one find such a hobbyist brush maker? Does that mean a supporting B&B Vendor or reaching out to someone who makes them himself? Thanks for the response and please forgive me for not knowing.

Someone who makes them himself. Go to the "Hobbyist/Vendor Classifieds" and look through the posts. You'll probably have to go back a couple of pages but you'll find members who post custom brushes for sale. Find the members name, send them a PM and go from there.

Someone who makes them himself. Go to the "Hobbyist/Vendor Classifieds" and look through the posts. You'll probably have to go back a couple of pages but you'll find members who post custom brushes for sale. Find the members name, send them a PM and go from there.

Very sweet, thanks for the info! This place is awesome! B&B FTW!:thumbup:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Welcome to B&B. The only one on your list that I own is the Parker. It's a big, soft brush - but a bit of a lather hog. It likes to hold onto enough lather for a pass and a half. If you don't mind squeezing some lather from the brush and have no intention to ever face lather it might be fine - but it wouldn't be on the top of my list.

The SOC boar is a spectacular brush. I don't know if that carries over into the badger, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Parker 100% Silvertip Badger Brush w Olivewood Handle ($60)
. (Side note, I can't find measurements on this brush - any help would be nice)

Although it is described in the advertisement that you linked to as a "Oversized Brush Knot 24 mm" I think that it is 22mm diameter, and a 56mm loft.

I own 2 Parker brushes, 2 Omegas, and 1 Simpson. My first choice from the list you supplied would be the Simpson.

Thanks guys! Like I said, I love the look of the Parker brush. I'm glad you clarified on some of the size aspects that are obviously missing from a lot of websites. Being that it is my first brush, I wouldn't want to be trapped into one specific lathering method. Also, you are giving the Parker brush as much praise as others out there: It's good and soft, but not great. I appreciate your honesty!

The Simpson brush pops up again as a favorite, and I can certainly see why. But again, how would you comment on the density and prickliness of the brush for a sensitive face?

Thanks so much for the responses!

I also liked the look of natural wood, and my first brush was clear coated. I have since realized that the appearance of wood handles deteriorates much faster than ones made from resin.

I would stay away from the Parker at all costs. My Parker "Pure" brush ended up having a loft of 60mm and is extremely floppy. My hate for this brush brought me to this forum, and led me to buy a Commodore X3, Emillion 2, Chubby 1 2-band, and Thater all in this 1 week. Actually the last 3 were just from today.

Get something SOLID like a Simpson and run far far away. That said, it is very hard to know what you like without trying out a few different brushes and finding out what you DON'T like. The $35 finest brush from Vintage Blades is pretty phenomenal.

Last edited:
SOC 2-band gets my vote. You can get it for around $70 shipped from Vintage Scent. Great combination of backbone, flow-through, and scrub.

You may want to consider the WSP Prince in 2-band. Great little brush for the price and a great face-latherer.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

Hey, thanks guys! Awesome info :) I'm getting quite a list going for possible future brushes. Sounds like I definitely need to get a Simpson. But, for my all around choice, capable of doing all types of lathering but without being too prickly, I have chosen the Semogue Owners Club 2 Band! A couple of guys had mentioned a great site where it was much more discounted than I had anticipated.

I really appreciate everyone's input and suggestions! I'll give you my feedback and pictures once the order crosses the pond and arrives!

Cheers!
Dan

The Vulfix 2234 is a good bowl lathering brush with creams or soaps. It is a little shorter loft than the Vulfix 2235 which I have but you will find it really soft on the face which I think is what you are looking for. The Commodore X2 (I have the X3) will have more backbone but will not be as soft. I think the Vulfix is better value for money.
Welcome to the forum.

To add, what they say about Simpsons "best" seems to be true. My Commodore X3 is as soft as my chubby-1 2 band and Thater. I think any Simpson would make a great first brush and could hold off the SBAD for a while.

Simpson is a fine choice.. Me? I'd go with the Vulfix based on your original post.. I have one of each. The Vulfix is a wonderful bowl lathering brush, crazy soft and easy on the face. The Simpson is denser and not as soft but also a good choice and better at face lathering should you decide to go that route in the future

Top Bottom