What's new

*Battle Royale* Your Thoughts, My Brush: Edwin Jagger v Omega v Vulfix v Parker

I'm new to wet-shaving also (4 months)... I have one of those Parkers, a Simpson Case1 and your standard cheep Tweezerman.

The Park has a tall loft with a small diameter knot. The long hair with the small diameter knot made for a quick and substantial bloom, but it also made for a thin (as in not dense) brush. When full of lather, it is very very soft to the face, almost to the point of not feeling it at all... It creates a ton of lather, but it doesn't release it to the face unless you do more of a painting motion (which I do not like until my last few strokes with the brush before I apply the razor). On my face, it is just too big... I would say the Park is soft, yet floppy... I would not buy another one.

The Tweezerman is actually a decent starter brush... it can face lather and bowl lather, with soaps and cream, but it is scratchy on my face when applying it in a circular motion. It's not bad, but I wont buy another one.

The Simpson Case1 is in Best badger and has a diameter of 19mm and a loft of 42mm. Most people call this a travel brush, but it has turned into my new everyday brush (mainly because I only have 3 and do not like the first two). I tend to face lather with it, but I also have a small bowl I can bowl lather in; it does a great job with both, but excels in face lathering. I would recommend this brush to anyone! It may not be your everyday brush, but the density, softness, yet firmness (backbone) has made me start looking at other Simpson brushes.

I hope this helps if it is not too late.

Alright guys. I really appreciate all of your responses. I apologize if I'm getting back to you all a little late, but I wanted to give you the scoop on my decision and experiences.

I purchased the SOC2 in cherry wood and love it. It is a bit more scrubbier than I had expected but I feel that it will soften up more once it's broken in. I have shaved with it twice so far and really appreciate its water retention and ability to build wonderful lather. I feel that I could do any sort of lathering that I wish, from bowl to face to hand, which was one of the reasons I went with the SOC2. It's an incredible brush and I am very happy.

I am pleased to say that, based on a lot of your comments, I will be getting the Vulfix next. As to when, I cannot comment, however, I will get it next.

Again, thank you everyone for your suggestions and I certainly look forward to seeing all of you around on B&B!

Cheers!

Oh, on a side note. I am really enjoying the C.O. Bigelow/Proraso shave creme. It has a great smell and a nice cool feeling on the face. My next choice will be the TOBS soap. Heard good things and would love to try lavender.

As for the size of the brush. I found out, through trial and error, that the Colonel Conk Evernice Model 775 stand that I had linked to in my original post did not fit the SOC2. Even after a little widening, the prongs did not support the brush adequately. I decided, through the help of their awesome customer service, to purchase this stand:

30 Degree S5 Shaving Stand for Large Razor and Brush
http://www.royalshave.com/p/431-024-00/30-degree-shaving-stand-large-razor-brush.html

It fits perfectly! Love the style and it has an incredibly wide base that looks rock solid. Could not be more happy. The width of the Semogue Owners Club 2 Band Badger has a width less than 30 mm at its narrowest. That made this stand the clear choice for me.

Thought I'd throw that in for anyone who may run across the same problem as me.

Top Bottom