What's new

Finally found my daily driver bourbon...what's yours?

Knob Creek is also my most frequent daily driver. Not too far behind are Woodford Reserve and Elijah Craig.

Let me say I'm very new to the world of whiskey and bourbon. But, over the course of much googling and trying about 10 different bottles of bourbon (mostly small batch), I think I've finally settle on Knob Creek as my daily driver (Though Four Roses Small Batch is awful close). I usually only have one bottle on hand at a time, give or take, and like to keep things in the under $30 ballpark, as well as fairly available (So far Total Wine has been where I get most of my bourbon).

It took me about 3 different brands and halfway through a bottle of Maker's (which I wouldn't buy again, personal preference) that I realized I like a good bit of rye in my bourbon.

I couldn't necessarily tell you the exact flavors I like in Knob Creek compared to the others, but I do know it's become my go to when I'm out, and soon be my go to at home.

What do you reach for on a daily basis? Is there anything I'm missing out on at this price point?

For reference, I've tried the following:
-Four Roses Yellow
-Four Roses Small Batch
-Buffalo Trace
-Evan Williams Single Barrel
-Knob Creek
-Wild Turkey 101
-Maker's Mark
-Eagle Rare
-Woodford Reserve

That's a pretty good stack of bourbon.A couple other good 30ish dollar bottles are Elijiah Craig and Elmer T Lee. The Evan Williams SB you mention is really excellent not crazy pricey one too. Knob Creek is another. If there is a Costco in your area, Kirkland (haven't been to Costco in a few years, so may no longer be true) had a house brand bourbon which was relabelled bottles of Knob for about 7 dollars less.

I wouldnt say its my daily driver and its only available in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Illinois but Ive become a big fan of J. Henry and Sons.
Theres a lot of bourbons that I dont care for but JHS is good stuff. Its very smooth and easy drinking.

I wouldnt say its my daily driver and its only available in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Illinois but Ive become a big fan of J. Henry and Sons.
Theres a lot of bourbons that I dont care for but JHS is good stuff. Its very smooth and easy drinking.

Funny you should mention that. I just toured there a couple months ago. I brought back a bottle of their cask strength. But, at that price point, definitely not a daily driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny you should mention that. I just toured there a couple months ago. I brought back a bottle of their cask strength. But, at that price point, definitely not a daily driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The regular 5 year isnt bad, I think its around $64. Typically when I drive a trip home to Wisconsin to visit family, I spend hundreds of dollars on alcohol: New Glarus beer, Death's Door vodka and J. Henry (not to mention a bunch of cheese and Stella's spicy cheese bread).
We have some great breweries and distilleries here in Ohio but I'll always be just a kid from Madison and I like to support local businesses when Im there.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Why take just one? I jump all over. 1792 is a favorite though.

Right now I'm on a bottle of Barterhouse. Definitely not a daily driver, but boy do I wish it could be!

Been a while, gents, but trying to be a bit more active.

A friend left a bottle of Larceny at the house a few weeks ago so it's been a good go-to. I'm also looking at the remains of my last bottle of Ancient Ancient Age 10 YO, which (I believe) can no longer be found on shelves. Once those are gone, it'll probably be an Evan Wiliams Black.

I prefer to stay under $30 for my "everyday" bourbon. Some of the old standbys in this segment have moved up to the $30-33 range in the past year though, including Buffalo Trace and Evan Williams Single Barrel. They're still good values at those prices.

Wild Turkey 101 and Jim Beam Black are still solidly in that range though. And Costco has lately been selling Elijah Craig at about $22, which is for my money still the best under-$30 bourbon, even though it's no longer 12 years old.

For military folks, AAFES Class 6 stores offer some great deals, although you have to do your homework to pick them out from their "just OK" prices on a lot of things. And of course, the absence of sales tax helps some.

greatly enjoyed Pikesville Rye today!

pikesville rye.jpg

Too many options to stay with a daily bourbon. I enjoy the decision process each evening. Am I leaning towards smooth, spicy, or sweet. What's for dinner? Single? Double? Do I have something new to try? I've got 30+ different bottles to choose from, and only a couple of those are not opened. Now, if I was to choose a daily it'd be Blanton's or Four Roses Single Barrel

I totally agree. I have a lot of "table" bourbons that I am appreciating lately, Heaven Hill BIB, Fighting **** is a new favorite, Woodford (Sams has it for !$23!!!) Weller, OGB BIB, Etc. So many out there in that under $25 range that I'm finding it more and more difficult to justify spending anymore for the top shelf stuff, with the exception of cask strength bourbons. IMO those usually justify paying a bit more for.

Top Bottom