What's new

Jim Beam Double Oaked...a good place to start?

For some reason, I've got the notion to try bourbon neat. I'm not a stranger to whiskey, per se, but it's always been shooters or mixers (love a whiskey sour). But I'm starting to think an occasional glass of a sipping whiskey might be nice with a pipe.

I have heard good things about Woodford Reserve (and my Revolutionary War ancestors appear to have living in Woodford County when it formed), but I'm hesitant to pay $40-70 for a bottle of something I may not like. Jim Beam Double Oaked is about half the price at the local liquor store (I'm in PA, so they'll be the same price at any St I go to).

My question is would the Jim Beam Double Oaked be a good choice to get my feet wet with?

I'll most likely be smoking either Cornell and Diehl Haunted Bookshop, Peter Stokkebye English Proper...or, I might get brave and open the only tin of the no longer available Cornell and Diehl Small Batch "The Beast" that I have...if that helps.

I found JB a bit lacking and thin.

What does Buffalo Trace or Maker’s Mark go for in your neck of the woods? These would be smooth entries to start with.

If you like full flavor and a higher proof Wild Turkey 101 and Rittenhouse PA style Rye are excellent starting points.

Pretty good start. Kentucky Burbons and some from Coloado are great. For my taste, I can't do the Tennessee ones, like Jack. The 'charcoal filtering' process makes it taste burnt. Whiskey's should have a sweet aftertaste. Stranahan's from my home state is my favorite for mixing or neat.
inbound5800587689680930337.jpg

Last edited:

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
If it’s your first time sampling/sipping bourbon I’d go for a wheated bourbon such as Basil Hayden, Makers Mark, or Larceny. Don’t be afraid to spend a little more on a good bourbon. Bourbons with more wheat in the mash bill tend to be smoother which is probably what you’re going to want to begin sippin. Most of these are also bottled around 80proof so you won’t get the big alcohol bite that you sometimes get it higher proof bourbons. Wild Turkey 101 as mentioned above is a GREAT bourbon at its price point but the 101proof may be a bit much for a first sipper.

I'll have to check. I went in on lark the other day to see if they had Woodford. Otherwise, the variety of bourbons they had kinda overwhelmed me, being as I had no clue what else to look for.

Remember. I'm new to the idea of drinking like a gentleman...lol.

Have you tried George Dickel white? It's a great Tennesse sipping whiskey and one of the best "Bang for your Buck" whiskeys out there.

I'll have to check. I went in on lark the other day to see if they had Woodford. Otherwise, the variety of bourbons they had kinda overwhelmed me, being as I had no clue what else to look for.

Remember. I'm new to the idea of drinking like a gentleman...lol.

For sure, it's definitely easily to get overwhelmed and it's funny because you can always find both good and bad reviews about pretty much every product so it can be hard to pin down what you want...
I think that being able to buy a couple bottles to compare is fun & helpful, especially if you want to try drinking them different ways and learn what you like & dislike. But if you're just looking to grab one, I think you try to look for a few in the same price range (and that's where I'm not sure what it's like in PA, I know the liquor selling laws are different so not the same that I'd be looking at here in CA).

For sure, it's definitely easily to get overwhelmed and it's funny because you can always find both good and bad reviews about pretty much every product so it can be hard to pin down what you want...
I think that being able to buy a couple bottles to compare is fun & helpful, especially if you want to try drinking them different ways and learn what you like & dislike. But if you're just looking to grab one, I think you try to look for a few in the same price range (and that's where I'm not sure what it's like in PA, I know the liquor selling laws are different so not the same that I'd be looking at here in CA).
Yeah. PA is weird with alcohol. But I will check the next time I get into the store.

For a budget introduction, Buffalos Trace. I find it inline with some nearly double its price. For a bit more, I enjoy Woodford Reserve and and Turkey 101.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Another good start is Evan Williams. It -isn't- wheated, which is why I recommend it as a counterpoint or complement to something that is. Some like wheated, and some don't (and some like both, and some don't care). It's worth trying something. EW is especially good to try because it's the basic grain bill for Heaven Hill (75% corn, 12% barley, and %10 rye). If you like EW, then you can look around at other Heaven Hill offerings. When I think of your "basic, classic bourbon," I think of Evan Williams.

I prefer the Bottled-in-Bond version (white label), but I agree with Adam that starting up at 100 proof might not be the best place to start. The "regular," black label

It also happens to be rather inexpensive but drinks more like something at a higher price point. A fifth of the black label costs me $14 before tax. If you wanted to get crazy around here and pick up the B-i-B, a fifth of that still comes in well under $20.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Another good start is Evan Williams. It -isn't- wheated, which is why I recommend it as a counterpoint or complement to something that is. Some like wheated, and some don't (and some like both, and some don't care). It's worth trying something. EW is especially good to try because it's the basic grain bill for Heaven Hill (75% corn, 12% barley, and %10 rye). If you like EW, then you can look around at other Heaven Hill offerings. When I think of your "basic, classic bourbon," I think of Evan Williams.

I prefer the Bottled-in-Bond version (white label), but I agree with Adam that starting up at 100 proof might not be the best place to start. The "regular," black label

It also happens to be rather inexpensive but drinks more like something at a higher price point. A fifth of the black label costs me $14 before tax. If you wanted to get crazy around here and pick up the B-i-B, a fifth of that still comes in well under $20.
EW is another good selection. I fall into the “I like both” category so i’ll drink either with no issues. The true B&B way is to buy 5-6 bottles of different bourbons and do a blind taste test of each. Then you’ll have a good starting point on what your palate prefers and 5 other bottles to share with friends.

I don't know if you have already made your decision, but two I would suggest to start off with would be: Elijah Craig Small Batch, this is what got me started on my bourbon journey. And the second would be, Four Roses Small Batch. A third suggestion that I will make, since it looks like you might be smoking a pipe along with it? Recently I have found that Redwood Empire Lost Monarch pairs nicely with a cigar. I have never smoked a pipe, but I will assume that it is similar and goes well with whiskey like a cigar does.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'm hesitant to pay $40-70 for a bottle of something I may not like.

Hmm ... if only there were some sort of place where you could try a whisk(e)y like this by the glass instead of needing to buy the whole bottle.

1702412841373.png

1702412968710.png

Larceny is affordable and I would recommend it. Makers Mark is a good brand also. the cask strength is around $35 where I’m at. Old forester, Wild Turkey are other brands that are good quality. I like the 100 proof options.

One of my regular pours is $34 at Costco for a liter. It’s from the Lost Republic distillery, single barrel. There’s a bear on the label.

There are Bourbon bars, although I don't know if any are close to you. Not cheap as far a drinks go, but not as pricey as a bottle of something you don't like.

Anything from Heaven Hill (and this includes a lot of the small brands) is good, family owned business. George Dickel 8 year is excellent, and inexpensive. Very Old Barton is also quite nice, nothing special but very consistent and until a few years ago was age labeled at 8 years, so nothing in the bottle was less than 8 years old. Had to change that because they couldn't keep up with demand and had to use some 6 year. I use it for "regular" evening drinks and for mixing.

Top Bottom