What's new

Finally a Feather

I've been away from B&B for a bit, though I joined nearly 10 years ago. I guess I settled into my daily routine and had nothing new to add to the various discussions. That and life has been busy the past few years.
Anyway, since the beginning of my DE journey, I've always been afraid of Feather blades. The whole "sharpest blade ever" stuff made me feel that the small irregularities on my face would fall victim to the aggressiveness of this particular blade. So I tried a whole bunch of options and had finally settled on Polsilvers for my daily driver (A LASS-era BBS-1).
The other day I was in a hurry and didn't see any Polsilvers in my drawer. The only option was a Feather, probably because they had been there for years, unused due to my aversion to bloodshed.
I decided to give one a try and loaded up my razor. I decided to use the exact same routine (angle, pressure, direction) that I've perfected over the years.
The first shave with this blade was a disappointment. I was sporting 2 - 3 days of growth (my stubble is pretty firm), and the Feather struggled with it. My impression was the blade was thinner than others, and I felt like sharp or not, this wasn't going to unseat the Polsilver.
Shave #2 was a bit better. I got DFS with one pass and some touch ups and honestly would have ranked that day's shave on par with other decent blades I'd used including GSB, Astra, etc. Still not up to the Polsilver, but close.
Shave #3, seemed to be the sweet spot. Again, with 2 days of growth, the Feather cut through the forest with ease and with zero nicks. After a single pass and a tiny bit of touch up on the chin and under the nose, I was rewarded with a shave that was darn close to BBS.
Shave #4 and #5 (today) were equally good, and I'm not sensing a degradation in the blade.
Bottom line for me is that after thinking I had nothing left to learn, I've found a blade that will most definitely find a permanent home in my den. And, as Polsilvers can be hard to find, Feather may well join my trusty BBS-1 in my daily driver set up.

…I've always been afraid of Feather blades. The whole "sharpest blade ever" stuff made me feel that the small irregularities on my face would fall victim to the aggressiveness of this particular blade. So I tried a whole bunch of options and had finally settled on Polsilvers for my daily driver (A LASS-era BBS-1).
The other day I was in a hurry and didn't see any Polsilvers in my drawer. The only option was a Feather, probably because they had been there for years, unused due to my aversion to bloodshed.
I decided to give one a try and loaded up my razor. I decided to use the exact same routine (angle, pressure, direction) that I've perfected over the years.
The first shave with this blade was a disappointment. I was sporting 2 - 3 days of growth (my stubble is pretty firm), and the Feather struggled with it. My impression was the blade was thinner than others, and I felt like sharp or not, this wasn't going to unseat the Polsilver.
Shave #2 was a bit better. I got DFS with one pass and some touch ups and honestly would have ranked that day's shave on par with other decent blades I'd used including GSB, Astra, etc. Still not up to the Polsilver, but close.
Shave #3, seemed to be the sweet spot. Again, with 2 days of growth, the Feather cut through the forest with ease and with zero nicks. After a single pass and a tiny bit of touch up on the chin and under the nose, I was rewarded with a shave that was darn close to BBS.
Shave #4 and #5 (today) were equally good, and I'm not sensing a degradation in the blade.
Bottom line for me is that after thinking I had nothing left to learn, I've found a blade that will most definitely find a permanent home in my den. And, as Polsilvers can be hard to find, Feather may well join my trusty BBS-1 in my daily driver set up.

What people put forward on the Internet often needs to be taken with a grain of salt.
Some people have strong opinions on a subject, but not necessarily a strong understanding.
I tend to ignore the most flattering 10% and most damning 10% of comments and try to form an opinion from the remaining 80% of comments. Seems to work for me…

For example, some people make it sound like a shaver who shaves with the Mühle R41 (that some refer to as “The Beast”, which makes me cringe) should be awarded a medal of valour. All what the R41 really is IMO, is a very efficient razor (that gave me years of close and comfortable shaves), but where a shaver needs to know what he is doing. Not a toy for careless amateurs.

Feather blades are similar and all that scaremongering does these excellent blades a great injustice.
Like you I gained the impression that a Feather safety razor blade might be somewhat thinner than most safety razor blades, but I have never pursued this subject any further.

You also may hear from members that Feather blades don’t last quite as long as other blades.
In a poll, 55% responded that they get 3-4 shaves from a Feather DE blade, 22% get less and 23% get more than that, which gives a pretty good indication where the sweet spot for these blades lies. More than 11% get more than 8 shaves out of a Feather blade.

I get about 7-8 shaves per blade, the blade seems to reach its peak around the 2nd or 3rd shave and about 2 shaves after that it begins to shows first signs of a gradual decline.
Still, a Feather DE blade is typically good for a week’s worth of BBS shaves in my house, which suits me just fine.

There are many good and excellent blades out there, but among all those it’s the Feather blade that I like best because of their outstanding sharpness and consistency, with Nacet coming second.

Just my 2 bits worth of opinion…

B.

Last edited:
I just got a sample of Feather blades. I may be a Feather guy from now on. I have others to try but holy cow.

I don't get any tugging like I do with Astras, well regarded as a great blade. Just had my third shave today and while I agree they are sharp and feel thin as a first impression taking them out of the folder, they shouldn't be anything to fear if you have your technique down. IOW don't do any pressing in with the razor. It's true what so many guys say about shaving. let the weight of the razor do the work, just hold it lightly.

I only get 2 shaves with Astras and then I just lose sharpness or something and I want a fresh blade.

I get a little blood with the Feathers though that close right up with alum. It might be a cost I'm willing to bear. I *think* I get deeper and harder to close cuts with Astras.

Shave #1 I got 3 very minor weepers, shave #2, I got 2, then today's shave #3 I got 1.

The freedom from tugging is very satisfying most of all. I may stick with them.

I just use a Lord L6. I may get a milder head from aliexpress but they are sold out right now. The combo I have seems to be working for me.

Two passes with Arko and one final one with Cremo and holy cow. 3-4 drops of Pinaud Bay Rum and watch out world.

I've been away from B&B for a bit, though I joined nearly 10 years ago. I guess I settled into my daily routine and had nothing new to add to the various discussions. That and life has been busy the past few years.
Anyway, since the beginning of my DE journey, I've always been afraid of Feather blades. The whole "sharpest blade ever" stuff made me feel that the small irregularities on my face would fall victim to the aggressiveness of this particular blade. So I tried a whole bunch of options and had finally settled on Polsilvers for my daily driver (A LASS-era BBS-1).

I had the same experience at shave # 3 for Feather.

I just use a Lord L6. I may get a milder head from aliexpress but they are sold out right now. The combo I have seems to be working for me.

I think you will be fine using the Lord L6. I find the L6 to be very efficient but easy shaving. It is a close shaving razor but not an overly aggressive one.

I just finished a week shaving with an Astra Superior Stainless blade and used my L6 for the last four shaves.

I have Feather blades in my regular blade rotation. The Feather is a very efficient blade but not intimidating so. Your statement, "they shouldn't be anything to fear" is quite on point. You shouldn't be cutting yourself any more by using a Feather than with any your usual blades.

Good man!! :thumbup1::thumbup1:

Your post illustrates why you need to try things for yourself. Changing an aspect of a set routine can prove illuminating!

Top Bottom