What's new

I found my Happy Place

Hello folks!

Quick introduction and a few questions. About 2 months ago, my mother found my grandfather’s old shaving kit. She was going to throw it away but asked if I wanted it. Of course, I did!! I remember watching him shave with that kit when I was a kid. I never picked up on his shaving routine though. I used to think that putting that much effort into shaving was a waste of time. Yes, for the past 41 years I’ve been doing it all wrong. Anyway, my grandfather passed away in 1979. This ‘lil kit has been hibernating for 44 years and inside the cracked, worn leather I found an old Gillette, a box of blades (surprisingly not corroded), a brush that the bristles all fell out when I picked it up, a empty bottle of Acqua di Parma Colonia and a small round tin that I guess held his soap. I was stoked, to say the least and the contents of the kit got my curiosity. So, I jumped on the internet and began a search. I didn’t know what I was searching for but, found a plethora of information on straight razors and shaving. I had no idea that these things still existed (safety razors).

Fast forward to today… I have found my “Happy Place”, and that’s in my bathroom every morning, using the exact same razor that my Pop-Pop used some 44 years ago. I had no idea that shaving the RIGHT way was so satisfying. I admit that my routine is not perfect, in fact, I have the nicks and cuts on my face to prove it! But it is no longer considered a waste of time. It is in fact, the most favorite part of my day and in time I will have my routine and technique just right… especially with the vibes and memories of my grandfather with me.

Now for the questions. I’m really enjoying my grandfather’s razor but, I find myself getting a bit nervous using it because I don’t want anything to happen to it. I know, I know… it’s not going to break but, I’m still nervous about it. I want to purchase another razor but, in my opinion… there’s far too many to choose from. I’m looking at spending $50 - $100. I have big hands, so nothing small. I want good quality and craftmanship. Suggestions?

Open/Closed comb. What’s the difference between the two? I currently, and most likely will not be growing a beard. Mustache from time to time but no beard.

Disinfectant/sanitizer. What do you use for sanitizing your razors? Currently I just rinse it in hot water and pour rubbing alcohol over it. Should I be using something else? Do you leave your blade in the razor until the next shave, or do you take it out?

Brushes. I was rather frustrated shopping for shave gear. None of the brick & mortar stores around carry anything regarding traditional shaving. I finally found a brush at Wal-Mart for $4.99. It works but I don’t like it. It’s way too stiff. I’d like something a lot softer. Suggestions?

Blades. Again… way too many. The only one’s I found were at the CVS drug store… Gillette. They seem to irritate my skin a bit but, I have nothing to compare them too. My skin leans more to the sensitive side. Suggestions? I’m thinking of buying a sample pack and seeing what works best.

That’s about it for now. Not quite the “quick” introduction that I started out with… guess my excitement got ahead of me. I’m just getting started, so I’m sure that I’ll have more questions. Thanks in advance for the advice and knowledge that you can lend me. It will be much appreciated.
I'm a newcomer too and I'd like to suggest that you start with a Rockwell 6C. It's about $60 and comes with three plates, which you can use on either side to get six different levels of blade angle (aggressiveness / mildness). It's not an adjustable razor but rather a configurable razor. If one plate is too harsh, you can switch to a lower number, if another is too mild you can change that as well.

Here's the breakdown:

Rockwell 2C--chromed zamak (zinc alloy), comes with only 1 plate (1+3), $40
Rockwell 6C--same razor, but with all three plates (1+3, 2+4, and 5+6), $60
Rockwell 6S--same razor, but made of machined stainless steel with a bead-blasted matte finish, available in colors, $120

Pick your spot.

It's an easy razor to use, comfortable and effective, and will allow you to experiment and find the level of mildness / aggressiveness you prefer. A common blade recommendation for the Rockwell is the Gillette Nacet. The blades that come with it are not very good.

I have six razors now and think this one is the best recommendation.

All best,
MtB

P.S. If you post a picture of your grandfather's razor the guys here will know what it is and that will allow them to suggest new razors that are similar in feel and efficiency.

Although you don’t identify grandpa’s razor, as a Gillette it’s probably just fine and a good shaver. Keep it and use it and don’t buy another. You have the only razor you need.
There are many brushes available for under $10. I have used a VDH boar brush for 15 years that cost $4. There’s no need to spend a lot of money. You could use canned foam that costs only a buck or two if you don’t want to whip up your own lather.
In my 50 years experience, the Personna Lab Blue blade made in the USA works well on most faces.
Most of all, accept the practical advice of B&B members but try and resist the recommendations to buy stuff. Get a cheap brush (or not) and some blades and you have everything you need for a lifetime of inexpensive shaving.

Welcome! As stated, perhaps a mild razor (many already listed here) would be most appropriate to start out. As for razor handle sizes, I would advise that we're dealing with weight and not so much handle size here. Some of the shortest razors are also some of the heaviest. You're aiming to use the weight of the razor to provide most, if not all of the pressure.

Similar experience here. When my step-father died in 2001, my mom tossed all his shaving gear in the trash before I got there. In helping to clear out his stuff, I found an unused 1941 Aristocrat hidden in the back of his dresser drawer. They had been married since 1957, and she never knew he had it. We surmised that it was a gift from his parents when when he was drafted in WW2. I still have it and it's still unused.

I admit that my routine is not perfect, in fact, I have the nicks and cuts on my face to prove it!
I'm still learning to use a straight razor properly, but there's one suggestion I can give you: try using a pre-shave oil. I was getting small nicks on my chin on a daily basis when I ran across the idea. I've now made a simple version that I found on the web and I've almost completely stopped nicking myself. I don't know if that's the reason or if you'll have the same results, but it's worth trying, especially as the ingredients don't cost much. In fact, you may have one of them in the house already: EVOO. (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)

2.5–3 fl oz Castor Oil 15 to 18 tsp
1 fl oz Olive Oil 6 tsp
15 drops Skin-safe Essential Oils
Optional: 5 drops Vitamin E oil

Make it in a large enough bottle and decant to a bottle with a dropper as needed.

Hi , thats a great story about your grandfather. I have memories of watching my father shave when I was a kid. I would go in the bathroom and play with his razors when he wasn't looking. He had a Gillette slim adjustable and a Gillette supper speed from the 50s. I own both of those razors that I purchased on ebay. I replated the slim and was able to get a 54 flare tip super speed in mint condition. When I started to get a beard my father started me shaving with his supper speed. His razors are long gone but at lease I was able to purchase the models he had. I would suggest getting a De blade sample pack off of Amazon to see what works best for you. I am hooked on vintage razors and am carefully when I use them.I would take your blades out of your razors when you are done because they can damage your razors.

I'm still learning to use a straight razor properly, but there's one suggestion I can give you: try using a pre-shave oil. I was getting small nicks on my chin on a daily basis when I ran across the idea. I've now made a simple version that I found on the web and I've almost completely stopped nicking myself. I don't know if that's the reason or if you'll have the same results, but it's worth trying, especially as the ingredients don't cost much. In fact, you may have one of them in the house already: EVOO. (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)

2.5–3 fl oz Castor Oil 15 to 18 tsp
1 fl oz Olive Oil 6 tsp
15 drops Skin-safe Essential Oils
Optional: 5 drops Vitamin E oil

Make it in a large enough bottle and decant to a bottle with a dropper as needed.
Hi,

I completely forgot about this post. I’ve come so far since my introduction. I’m currently experimenting with pre-shave’s. I’m not sure yet if they’re a benefit or not. I have even made my own that consists of jojoba oil/coconut oil/argen oil. The verdict is still out.

Hi , thats a great story about your grandfather. I have memories of watching my father shave when I was a kid. I would go in the bathroom and play with his razors when he wasn't looking. He had a Gillette slim adjustable and a Gillette supper speed from the 50s. I own both of those razors that I purchased on ebay. I replated the slim and was able to get a 54 flare tip super speed in mint condition. When I started to get a beard my father started me shaving with his supper speed. His razors are long gone but at lease I was able to purchase the models he had. I would suggest getting a De blade sample pack off of Amazon to see what works best for you. I am hooked on vintage razors and am carefully when I use them.I would take your blades out of your razors when you are done because they can damage your razors.
Haven’t we learned from the best of true men….our grandfathers! As it turns out, my heirloom is a slim adjustable…the only vintage razor that I own.

Top Bottom