What's new

I found my Happy Place

Hello folks!

Quick introduction and a few questions. About 2 months ago, my mother found my grandfather’s old shaving kit. She was going to throw it away but asked if I wanted it. Of course, I did!! I remember watching him shave with that kit when I was a kid. I never picked up on his shaving routine though. I used to think that putting that much effort into shaving was a waste of time. Yes, for the past 41 years I’ve been doing it all wrong. Anyway, my grandfather passed away in 1979. This ‘lil kit has been hibernating for 44 years and inside the cracked, worn leather I found an old Gillette, a box of blades (surprisingly not corroded), a brush that the bristles all fell out when I picked it up, a empty bottle of Acqua di Parma Colonia and a small round tin that I guess held his soap. I was stoked, to say the least and the contents of the kit got my curiosity. So, I jumped on the internet and began a search. I didn’t know what I was searching for but, found a plethora of information on straight razors and shaving. I had no idea that these things still existed (safety razors).

Fast forward to today… I have found my “Happy Place”, and that’s in my bathroom every morning, using the exact same razor that my Pop-Pop used some 44 years ago. I had no idea that shaving the RIGHT way was so satisfying. I admit that my routine is not perfect, in fact, I have the nicks and cuts on my face to prove it! But it is no longer considered a waste of time. It is in fact, the most favorite part of my day and in time I will have my routine and technique just right… especially with the vibes and memories of my grandfather with me.

Now for the questions. I’m really enjoying my grandfather’s razor but, I find myself getting a bit nervous using it because I don’t want anything to happen to it. I know, I know… it’s not going to break but, I’m still nervous about it. I want to purchase another razor but, in my opinion… there’s far too many to choose from. I’m looking at spending $50 - $100. I have big hands, so nothing small. I want good quality and craftmanship. Suggestions?

Open/Closed comb. What’s the difference between the two? I currently, and most likely will not be growing a beard. Mustache from time to time but no beard.

Disinfectant/sanitizer. What do you use for sanitizing your razors? Currently I just rinse it in hot water and pour rubbing alcohol over it. Should I be using something else? Do you leave your blade in the razor until the next shave, or do you take it out?

Brushes. I was rather frustrated shopping for shave gear. None of the brick & mortar stores around carry anything regarding traditional shaving. I finally found a brush at Wal-Mart for $4.99. It works but I don’t like it. It’s way too stiff. I’d like something a lot softer. Suggestions?

Blades. Again… way too many. The only one’s I found were at the CVS drug store… Gillette. They seem to irritate my skin a bit but, I have nothing to compare them too. My skin leans more to the sensitive side. Suggestions? I’m thinking of buying a sample pack and seeing what works best.

That’s about it for now. Not quite the “quick” introduction that I started out with… guess my excitement got ahead of me. I’m just getting started, so I’m sure that I’ll have more questions. Thanks in advance for the advice and knowledge that you can lend me. It will be much appreciated.

Congrats. And welcome!

I would love to see a pic of the old Acqua di Parma, brush, razor, etc.

There are a lot of great new razor options. Maybe the Rockwell 6S? It comes with 6 plates for various aggressiveness levels. $120USD in stainless, but the 6C is regular steel and is only $60 for the while kit. Very nice razors but stay away from Rockwell blades as they are awful IMO.

Edit: Some good blade options are Astra and Gillette Silver Blues, but a $20 sampler from Amazon is a likely better idea as everyone is different.

Here is a a good sampler as an example..

Brushes? Don’t buy a crappy $5 Wilkinson. Even an Omega boar is much better ($10-20) Maybe a Yaqi or DS Cosmetic or AP Shaving. $20-ish for a synthetic brush is enough to get you started and no break in worries like a boar. Then you can look at $30- 200+ badger brushes once you know what you like down the road if even necessary.

Here is a great starter brush that I personally still use and have many much more expensive brushes..
Amazon Canada, but you should be able to get this brush for $20-25US shipped.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your suggestions. I took my grandfathers leather roll-up case to a friend of mine, who happens to be a Cobbler. He's going to see what he can do to restore it for me. I'll get some picture and post them later.

I was looking at a Rockwell. Simple, I like the way it looks. Honestly, I'd like to find a store that carries a variety but, I can't seem to find one here in NW Ohio.

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I took my grandfathers leather roll-up case to a friend of mine, who happens to be a Cobbler. He's going to see what he can do to restore it for me. I'll get some picture and post them later.

I was looking at a Rockwell. Simple, I like the way it looks. Honestly, I'd like to find a store that carries a variety but, I can't seem to find one here in NW Ohio.
Welcome to Blade & Badger!
I'm very curious to see the picture of your grandfather's razor! Very cool. I remember seeing my grandfather's razor have absolutely no recollection as to what it was ... undoubtedly a Gillette of some kind although I know he used electrics as well.
I'm yet another vote for the Rockwell 6C. It's a fantastic razor, probably the smoothest modern razor I own, and had plates that allow adjusting the aggression. Highly recommended. Another would be a Razorock Game Changer, available in several blade gaps now. Both are well under $100 and are of excellent quality.
Regarding blades, I started off with sample packs from That Huge Online Retailer Named After A River In Brazil for about $5.00 or $6.00. It allowed me to try 6 or 8 different brands on the cheap and I was able to weed out ones I wasn't fond of and order more of the ones I do like.
Brushes: I recommend looking at Maggard's online site. And they're in Michigan so shipping to you wouldn't take long.
Regarding disinfecting, alcohol works just fine.
More will come along with great advice. That's just my two cents. Enjoy!

Welcome to B&B and the friendliest bunch of smooth shaven people you will ever encounter! That is a very cool story regarding your grandfathers razor. It must be carrying a lot of memories and nostalgia to you. I have those items as well.

Here on B&B we will have as differing recommendations and opinion on all kinds of gear and blades. There has been some excellent suggestions above regarding razors etc. I have a question. Do you know what kind of razor that your grandfather had? Do you like that kind of razor? What do you not like/not-like about it? Would you like something modern? This may guide you a bit where to go from here.

Brush: I would recommend a synthetic from ItalianBarber or Maggards as suggested above. You cannot go wrong with that.
Blades: Like suggested get a blade sampler from the same place that you get the brush
Soap: You may already have a go to soap, but otherwise a Proraso Red/Green soap or cream will get you going.

Welcome!!!! Brushes can rage from cheap to down right extravagant! I recommend I nice synthetic brush. They make lather easily, and dry out quicker.

Razorock makes nice stainless steel razors for a fair price. I would recommend a closed comb razor like a Gamechager.

Soaps and aftershaves are a matter of taste, but Prorasso Green is a good soap for 10 bucks a tube and the aftershave aimt bad either!

Beyond that, you don't need much, but enjoy the journey, and beware. The rabbit hole is deep!!!!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Now for the questions. I’m really enjoying my grandfather’s razor but, I find myself getting a bit nervous using it because I don’t want anything to happen to it. I know, I know… it’s not going to break but, I’m still nervous about it.
Welcome to the forum. Fair enough. Feeling are real. You might consider if it would honor your grandfather more to actually use his old razor, but that's obviously for you to decide. There are plenty of old Gillette razors for sale, so you might want to consider one of those. If so, describe some preferences and the experts here will suggest models to look at.

Open/Closed comb. What’s the difference between the two?
Open comb razors are the ones with little teeth (comb) extending past the head. They generally have more blade exposure, but like closed comb run the gamut from mild to very aggressive.

Disinfectant/sanitizer. What do you use for sanitizing your razors?
Here on the forum you will find a great diversity of opinion on certain subjects, this being one of them. I don't disinfect my razors because I'm the only one using them. I do drag them around a soap covered face daily, so they're pretty clean. Some shavers take the blade out after each shave and disinfect the blade and razor - and everything in between. You'll have to find your comfort zone on this one.
Brushes. I was rather frustrated shopping for shave gear. None of the brick & mortar stores around carry anything regarding traditional shaving. I finally found a brush at Wal-Mart for $4.99. It works but I don’t like it. It’s way too stiff. I’d like something a lot softer. Suggestions?
Brushes run from $12 to $250 and beyond. There are synthetic, badger, boar, horse, squirrel (OK, I may have gone to far there). They're all a little different and they all get the job done. Boar brushes need to be soaked for a minute (more or less) before using. Badgers hold the most heat and splay the best, but I don't recommend going too cheap with a badger brush. Synthetics offer very nice brushes for very little money - but let's be clear, $4.99 is not enough to spend on a brush (and you can ignore the lucky guy who will tell you he got a great brush for $5 - his is the only one).

I don't buy anything locally, but some shavers do. I find the computer the best place to shop. If you give some specifics (size, soft tips or not, hair choice - if you have one, handle material and price range) we can suggest some good choices.
Blades. Again… way too many.
YMMV (your mileage may vary) is a very real thing, especially for blades. You want a sample pack of maybe 6-10 different blades to try. There are sample packs already out there, or you can just put your own together. Feather blades should be the last ones you try, in my opinion (very sharp, not much forgiveness for a slip in technique). Sometimes you get a blade with a bad edge. If you try a new blade and it feels terrible - stop immediately, mid-stroke if you can, and try the next one down in the 5 pack. If that one feels just as bad obviously stop again, and save the last three for another year.

I've never seen you shave and I can almost promise you're using too much pressure. Stop it. The nicks come from either too much pressure, or more likely poor razor angle - or a little of both. Less pressure is available immediately. You'll get the hang of the razor angle with a little practice. We've all been there and lived to tell about it.

Enjoy the journey.

I would like to recommend this starter kit. An Edwin Jagger DE89 razor. Get two brushes so you can rotate one as the other dries if you shave every day. I would get a synthetic. I like the Synbad synthetic knot. Next get a boar brush. Omega’s are good but so are Semogue’s. The boar will go through a break in period. Stick with it boar brushes are fantastic. I would get Taylor of Bond Street sandalwood shaving cream. It is slick smells good to me anyways and easy to lather. For a blade I would get the Gillette silver blues. Get a sample blade pack too but you can’t go wrong with Silver blues.

Good luck and welcome.

Welcome aboard!

Some good advice above! I would add two thoughts:

1. Since you want another razor, I suggest you decide first on vintage or current production.

If you go vintage, then I suggest a Tech (mild/moderate range) or a Slim (adjustable).

If you go for a current production razor, then I would go with either a 34C HD or one of the EJ 89 series.

You can always ’trade up’ to something more expensive if you wish.

2. I endorse the suggestion that you purchase a blade sampler or two. Only you can determine what works best.

Mostly, enjoy the journey!!

Do you know what kind of razor that your grandfather had? Do you like that kind of razor? What do you not like/not-like about it? Would you like something modern? This may guide you a bit where to go from here.
Not sure of the model but, it's a Gillette. I like the razor however, I find it to be too short. I'd like to find one that is a bit longer. Yes, I'd like something new.

Top Bottom