... 4.5
031.jpg
:yikes: :drool:

Revision, to start 01 Mar 2023:

• Blade: BIC Chrome Platinum Blade #7 of 100 Shave #13
  • Razor: King C. Gillette
  • Soap: Noble Otter Barr Barr
  • Brush: Noble Otter
Gentlemen, I will had to amend my original FFFM, since I am almost out of Noble Otter's Lonestar soap.
I will also switch A/S from Pinaud Clubman, to Noble Otter's Barr Barr

I like the scent of the cream. I also prefer the scent of Old Spice Original aftershave over Old Spice Classic as sold in the US. The Original is close to what I remember growing up. I can't get enough of it. The cream smells like a good match. India makes superb soaps and creams from my experience. My wife buys Chandrika soap from the Indian market where I live. Great soap with an excellent scent! :001_wub:

Chandrika and Mysore Sandal are classics !

Alright! I had initially assumed I can use various plates with the Rockwell 6S as it's all part of the same razor. But I still wanted to check and seems it's not allowed. In fact I should stick with the same setting only and not even change the same plate around for variation. I've been using the 6S (in red) only for about a little over a month now. My usual Pearl T121 razor developed an uneven gap and became unusable. So I had to discard it. I bought a Merkur 34C and immediately realized it was a blunder as it was way too mild for me even with a Feather blade. Required lot more strokes repeatedly and still the shave wasn't close. I have very tough beard, sensitive skin and the growth pattern is so bad that it's not easy to shave. Finally I got my hands on the 6S but I am still experimenting with it to see which plates combo gives me a close and comfortable shave. I can go up to plate 6 on the first pass with BIC and Voskhod but not Feather and Gillette Nacet. With the Voskhod I can do the second pass across the grain too with the plate 6. But on the 3rd pass against the grain and the cleanup later on, only plate 3 works best, with the least irritation except for the Voskhod where I can use plate 4.

So if I were to pick just one base plate setting then I was sure it was either 3 or 4. Coming to the blade, I eliminated Voskhod right away because it just can't shave with these 2 plates on the first 2 passes. The BIC I can manage with either plate 3 or 4 but I only have one blade left and I am not planning to repurchase it as I love the Feather and Gillette Nacet better.

Finally I decided to go with the Gillette Nacet and base plate 3 as I feel that the plate 4 maybe a bit too much for the against the grain pass with this and the Feather too. Not much of a dilemma in choosing the cream because there was something I had reserved just for this, and the brush choice was obvious. So here's the first and final fixed four.

(1) Brush - Semogue 820 Pure Bristle.
(2) Cream - O'Melhor Classico.
(3) Razor - Rockwell 6S in red with base plate 3.
(4) Blade - Gillette Nacet.

I shave alternate days and so it will be 16 shaves as the first shave day for me in March is 1st. The shaving cream being 100 gms I believe it will last the whole month given that I've only used it twice before. The brush looks solid and I can do 3 shaves with each Gillette Nacet. Even otherwise I have about 95 counts of it. :)

This brings to mind an interesting variable:

If a member wants to use their Gillette 195 Fatboy, or Gillette Slim (or any other adjustable with a dial), are they required to shave at the same setting every time?

(Asking for a friend, of course. 🙂)

My shaving goodness from Rockwell finally cleared customs and arrived in time for FFFMM'23. The Rockwell Model T2 stainless steel is stunning in the hand. Thr bead blasted matte finish similar to the Rockwell 6S is excellent. Looking forward to the shaves.

The good folks at Rockwell dropped in a cool mug in the package.

I may change and use the Rockwell shave cream for the month.

Will update my final fixed four before commencing .

20230225_232753.jpg

This brings to mind an interesting variable:

If a member wants to use their Gillette 195 Fatboy, or Gillette Slim (or any other adjustable with a dial), are they required to shave at the same setting every time?

(Asking for a friend, of course. 🙂)
Previous question from ironfingers:
I am planning to use my Rockwell 6S razor. Am I allowed to use the different base plates? Because it's all part of the same razor.
My response, which also answers your question, Joe:
Nope! Sorry.

Only one baseplate is allowed (and in the case of a Rockwell 6S, only one side of that baseplate). Adjustables that can be altered by simply turning an adjustment knob (Fatboys, Futurs, etc) are allowed.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I think I will use stuff I rarely use for the month of March…

Brush - Simpson M7 Best
Razor - Merkur Progress
Blade - KAI
Soap - Tabac stick
AS - Tabac

Wish me luck. 😱

Stuff you rarely use might be the bee's knees, but I hope you're sufficient familiar with each and every component so you know what you're getting into with each of them. I've made that mistake; the tee shirt's made of sackcloth.

Personally I hate the Fixed Four and dread it every year. Problem is, it's such a damn good learning experience. It's kinda like giving up something hard to give up for Lent if you'll excuse a terrible simile.

Why anyone does it twice is a question for Big Nurse.

Good luck and happy shaves,

Jim

If it's not going to be a joyful learning experience, I wouldn't do it. A month can be a l-o-n-g time, especially if you've picked gear that you're not over keen on.

It's not meant to be an endurance test. :wink2:

Stuff you rarely use might be the bee's knees, but I hope you're sufficient familiar with each and every component so you know what you're getting into with each of them. I've made that mistake; the tee shirt's made of sackcloth.

Personally I hate the Fixed Four and dread it every year. Problem is, it's such a damn good learning experience. It's kinda like giving up something hard to give up for Lent if you'll excuse a terrible simile.

Why anyone does it twice is a question for Big Nurse.

Good luck and happy shaves,
Weird responses, guys but all good. 👍

I never really thought about this being hard or not joyful as I have run similar monthly threads on many occasions here over the years, but I am going to bow out.

Have fun. 👍

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
A little history...

A SUGGESTION:
Stop confusing your senses with endless hardware and software changes. Do a "Fixed 4" month (with your four current favorites). That's the same razor, blade (change as required but same make and model), brush, and soap for a month. If the month's a great success, do the same again but change only one of your four items (and that small change might shock you). Put all your current unused goodies in a safe place and tell them that you're going on a training course especially for them, and their next use will be with increased love, respect, skill and finesse. They love stories like that, especially when you REALLY MEAN IT.

Not saying that post, linked here, has anything to do with this thread, but it might.

Certainly it does for me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
What is SWS please?

Probably the Shave of the Week Society

Or “Shaving White Sash,” the gongfu equivalent of the Shaving White Belt?

I'm in! Here's my Fixed Four:

1677385577942.png

Soap: Mike's Natural Soaps Barber Shop
Razor: Razorock GameChanger .68-P with RR UFO handle
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Brush: Omega Jade Boar

Deciding on the blade was the toughest choice I think. This event sure does a great job bringing focus to one's thoughts about shaving, even prefunc, in the selection. I posted a bit more about these choices in my journal.

Thank you @Cal for running the event!

Top Bottom