What's new

FFFMM (Fixed Four For March Madness) 2023 Edition

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Change in the line-up. This will be my final fixed four if my Old Spice shaving cream shows up. It was supposed to arrive today. It was dispatched through UPS on the 16th from Connecticut, as of yesterday afternoon left Illinois. I'm not a fan of UPS.

1. Fatip Noce OC
2. New Lord Platinum
3. Omega Evo Ovale
4. Old Spice Cream Original
4.5. Old Spice Original Aftershave

I decided to go with my favorite razor. :001_wub:
This lineup is set in stone. My Old Spice Cream Original arrived today. I'll take SOTD pictures on Friday.
IMG20230222111914_1_30.jpg

I can only participate if I am allowed two razors:

- DE for my face
- SE for my head

I will use the same razor and blade combination for the entire month (with the same soap and brush for both face and head).
OK, go ahead. :thumbup1:

We've never had that request before, but it makes sense as face/neck whiskers and head hair are (usually) completely different (not to mention in different locations).

OK, go ahead. :thumbup1:

We've never had that request before, but it makes sense as face/neck whiskers and head hair are (usually) completely different (not to mention in different locations).

I prefer SE for head shaves. I got used to the idea that there was no exposed blade edge behind my ears. Probably over thinking it, but it works. 🙂

My stuff for March:

Head:

Blackland Vector
Feather ProGuard

Face:

Pre-war Tech
Gillette Platinum

Head and face:

Razorock xXx
Semogue Taj Mistura

20230222_155311.jpg

Soap: Arko
If you post your Fixed Four during February, then find out that you’d like to change it… that’s fine. Just let us know the changes before your first shave in March.

Would like to change my shaving soap to TFS red (almond). I have a block of 1 kg of that soap, so need to start immediately using it otherwise it will last all my shaving life...

I'm in.

Soap: Stirling's Unscented with Beeswax.
Brush: AP Shave Co. Aluminum Layered Comfort handle w/Mühle STF 25mm @~55mm

I haven't settled on a razor and blade. I'm leaning toward the Game Changer .84SB with a Nacet -- because I have a lot of Nacets. But I may go with the Lupo .95SB with the Dorco Titan. The Titan because I don't think I could use a Nacet every day with that razor.

I have all of Stirling's unscented soaps and, IMHO, they all lather up equally well. I'm just going with the one I just happened to have used the least.

The brush is new and the more I use it the more I gravitate towards it. It's a great brush.

S
Change in the line-up. This will be my final fixed four if my Old Spice shaving cream shows up. It was supposed to arrive today. It was dispatched through UPS on the 16th from Connecticut, as of yesterday afternoon left Illinois. I'm not a fan of UPS.

1. Fatip Noce OC
2. New Lord Platinum
3. Omega Evo Ovale

So it's Fixed Five for you? I mean you've listed the aftershave too. Anyway it's still FFFMM only because both Four and Five start with 'F'. :)

Alright! I had initially assumed I can use various plates with the Rockwell 6S as it's all part of the same razor. But I still wanted to check and seems it's not allowed. In fact I should stick with the same setting only and not even change the same plate around for variation. I've been using the 6S (in red) only for about a little over a month now. My usual Pearl T121 razor developed an uneven gap and became unusable. So I had to discard it. I bought a Merkur 34C and immediately realized it was a blunder as it was way too mild for me even with a Feather blade. Required lot more strokes repeatedly and still the shave wasn't close. I have very tough beard, sensitive skin and the growth pattern is so bad that it's not easy to shave. Finally I got my hands on the 6S but I am still experimenting with it to see which plates combo gives me a close and comfortable shave. I can go up to plate 6 on the first pass with BIC and Voskhod but not Feather and Gillette Nacet. With the Voskhod I can do the second pass across the grain too with the plate 6. But on the 3rd pass against the grain and the cleanup later on, only plate 3 works best, with the least irritation except for the Voskhod where I can use plate 4.

So if I were to pick just one base plate setting then I was sure it was either 3 or 4. Coming to the blade, I eliminated Voskhod right away because it just can't shave with these 2 plates on the first 2 passes. The BIC I can manage with either plate 3 or 4 but I only have one blade left and I am not planning to repurchase it as I love the Feather and Gillette Nacet better.

Finally I decided to go with the Gillette Nacet and base plate 3 as I feel that the plate 4 maybe a bit too much for the against the grain pass with this and the Feather too. Not much of a dilemma in choosing the cream because there was something I had reserved just for this, and the brush choice was obvious. So here's the first and final fixed four.

(1) Brush - Semogue 820 Pure Bristle.
(2) Cream - O'Melhor Classico.
(3) Razor - Rockwell 6S in red with base plate 3.
(4) Blade - Gillette Nacet.

I shave alternate days and so it will be 16 shaves as the first shave day for me in March is 1st. The shaving cream being 100 gms I believe it will last the whole month given that I've only used it twice before. The brush looks solid and I can do 3 shaves with each Gillette Nacet. Even otherwise I have about 95 counts of it. :)

1. Fatip Noce OC
2. New Lord Platinum
3. Omega Evo Ovale

Out of curiosity, your shaving cream: Old Spice Original, is it from India?

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Available for 90 cents here. How do you like the scent of this P&G version?
I like the scent of the cream. I also prefer the scent of Old Spice Original aftershave over Old Spice Classic as sold in the US. The Original is close to what I remember growing up. I can't get enough of it. The cream smells like a good match. India makes superb soaps and creams from my experience. My wife buys Chandrika soap from the Indian market where I live. Great soap with an excellent scent! :001_wub:

Last edited:
Top Bottom