What's new

Fenix Lights and Lasers on our Lizard Tongues.

I wear glasses. I’m 20/300. It doesn’t mean i can’t properly handle and shoot straight.

Well, I have presbyopia. My center focus with glasses is about 30” to infinity. My front sights are about 26” in front of my nose. I have to tilt my head back to acquire and focus on a front sight.

When I go to the range I have 1.75 and 2.25 diopter flip lenses I wear. It helps, but impractical in a DGU scenario. I can finally hit on target again with my Trijicon SRO.

Hopefully I will be able to handle irons with my handicap in the future, but I for one can understand where lasers would be of great benefit to some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I have presbyopia. My center focus with glasses is about 30” to infinity. My front sights are about 26” in front of my nose. I have to tilt my head back to acquire and focus on a front sight.

When I go to the range I have 1.75 and 2.25 diopter flip lenses I wear. It helps, but impractical in a DGU scenario. I can finally hit on target again with my Trijicon SRO.

Hopefully I will be able to handle irons with my handicap in the future, but I for one can understand where lasers would be of great benefit to some.

Fair enough, and I wasn’t in any way trying to downplay the handicap, but just from hearing you talk about it I bet you know damn well how to handle it. My point is more geared towards those you decide it would be cool to learn, buy a gun, don’t bother to give it the respect it deserves or bother to really learn proper shooting and sight acquisition, and inevitably just say “**** it, I’ll just throw a laser on board and pray for the best”

Fair enough, and I wasn’t in any way trying to downplay the handicap, but just from hearing you talk about it I bet you know damn well how to handle it. My point is more geared towards those you decide it would be cool to learn, buy a gun, don’t bother to give it the respect it deserves or bother to really learn proper shooting and sight acquisition, and inevitably just say “**** it, I’ll just throw a laser on board and pray for the best”

Well I’m on board there. There’s no substitute for training. I doubt a novice could acquire target with a laser and nail it.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?

Now your previous post makes perfect sense to me! I do have a laser on my LCP but I have been an LEO for 33 years and have taught firearms for more than 20 years.

Now your previous post makes perfect sense to me! I do have a laser on my LCP but I have been an LEO for 33 years and have taught firearms for more than 20 years.

God bless you. 33 years... I’m up to 22 and I don’t know if I’ll make it to 25. It’s not the same as it used to be. And it’s a lot worse in certain unnamed big cities.

Well I’m on board there. There’s no substitute for training. I doubt a novice could acquire target with a laser and nail it.

Yeah, I think the way I wrote the original post was not exactly what I meant. Sorry! [emoji56]

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I thought it would be a pretty dull argument thread. A lot of decent discussion Instead. Makes me want to do more than just play with my laser on the lcp ii.

You should tape some balloons to some cardboard targets and then shoot them with your LCP II's sights and then do the same with the laser, all at different distances up to 15 yards. Then give us a write up of your findings. I would be very interested in reading it and would think the same of others who have all had various opinions on a pocket pistol with a laser.

You should count the misses of the balloons with each, iron sights and laser. Brian!, Brian!, brian!, Woo, woo, woo!

(pumping fist with gesture of support. :) )

You should tape some balloons to some cardboard targets and then shoot them with your LCP II's sights and then do the same with the laser, all at different distances up to 15 yards. Then give us a write up of your findings. I would be very interested in reading it and would think the same of others who have all had various opinions on a pocket pistol with a laser.

You should count the misses of the balloons with each, iron sights and laser. Brian!, Brian!, brian!, Woo, woo, woo!

(pumping fist with gesture of support. :) )
I will do this this summer. Sounds fun

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Friday when I went to the range it reminded me I am no longer a spring chicken. I can hardly hold the LCP far enough away to see the damn site.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Friday when I went to the range it reminded me I am no longer a spring chicken. I can hardly hold the LCP far enough away to see the damn site.

At 45 the ability to read without glasses starts to effect us. At 50, we start losing the ability to focus at distance. You and I are the same age. I get a new prescription for glasses every year. But they don’t help me with shooting. Reading glasses can help you see a book at reading distance, but not pistol sites at arms length.

Bifocals and progressives, will help you see the target clearer at 25 yards, but your sights will be blurry or doubled.

What can we do? I still shoot better without glasses then with them. But my shooting ability is suffering and fading more and more everyday.

I don’t want lasik, contacts wouldn’t help. My group spread gets wider every time I hit the range it seems. A red dot seems like a temporary answer, but I want this problem solved and there isn’t a cure.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I just recently discovered that I can see the front sight better without glasses on, so I bought some no correction shooting glasses. If I'm shooting at a large silhouette type target, it doesn't matter if it's blurry, just clearly align the front sight center of mass, shooting at a squirrel or tin can is another matter. I'm past due to go to the eye doctor. I wonder if a trifocal with no correction in the center is feasible, probably not? Unfortunately, an RDS is probably the answer. I don't mind one so much on a semi-auto, but putting one on a revolver just doesn't seem right.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
At 45 the ability to read without glasses starts to effect us. At 50, we start losing the ability to focus at distance. You and I are the same age. I get a new prescription for glasses every year. But they don’t help me with shooting. Reading glasses can help you see a book at reading distance, but not pistol sites at arms length.

Bifocals and progressives, will help you see the target clearer at 25 yards, but your sights will be blurry or doubled.

What can we do? I still shoot better without glasses then with them. But my shooting ability is suffering and fading more and more everyday.

I don’t want lasik, contacts wouldn’t help. My group spread gets wider every time I hit the range it seems. A red dot seems like a temporary answer, but I want this problem solved and there isn’t a cure.

I hear you, maybe I need to rethink this laser thing. :lol: Actually my groupings at 6 yards were not that bad. Again it was more point and shoot vs aiming. I struggled more with my Glock and my revolver where you do aim as I was shooting farther.

My other issue is I am cross eyed dominate. At 54 I am teaching myself to shoot with both eyes open. I move the pistol left so I can focus with my dominate eye but I also pull everything left. A cop I know said to tape over the lens of my dominate eye. That way both eyes are open but you can only see out of your right. I am going to stick with moving the gun over for now.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Scott, I have the same issue of cross eye dominance and tend to pull my shots left. I also shoot both eyes open unless I'm trying to make a longer range precision shot. Then I'll close one eye.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I hear you, maybe I need to rethink this laser thing. :lol: Actually my groupings at 6 yards were not that bad. Again it was more point and shoot vs aiming. I struggled more with my Glock and my revolver where you do aim as I was shooting farther.

My other issue is I am cross eyed dominate. At 54 I am teaching myself to shoot with both eyes open. I move the pistol left so I can focus with my dominate eye but I also pull everything left. A cop I know said to tape over the lens of my dominate eye. That way both eyes are open but you can only see out of your right. I am going to stick with moving the gun over for now.

I can't see walking around with tape over my dominant eye all the time. I wanna shoot the way I'd have to shoot when presented with an unsuspected threat in the real world.

Top Bottom