What's new

February 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Well I got a nice surprise from the Missus this evening.
And now I need a judgment from all of you guys...Am I in or Am I out??

The tale: Lately I have mentioned several times that I want to get a second quality boar brush so that I can let them dry fully between uses. The way I shop is to load items into the cart and then wait, returning to look and compare over the course of days or even weeks until its time to hit pay. Well my lovely missus took it upon herself to fulfill my cart at Italian Barber. I have onroute to me a Semogue Galahad C3, a Razorock universal brush and razor stand (plastic one), a bottle of XXX splash, an Omega mixed midget and a La Toja shave stick. The mixed midget and La Toja were in the cart because I was considering it as a travel brush stored in the soap tube ala an old thread by @rockviper

My question is am I out? They are a gift from my wife, but, she used my card to pay.

Be well
Jay

...but here's my $0.02...
This sounds like a gift from your wife to me. Yes you tempted fate by putting things in your cart but she did this of her own accord.

She DID do this of her own accord, right? LOL
My wife has never bought me any shaving kit nor any chess books. *sigh*

Sounds like it falls under the hinting clause to me...

She is honestly thankful that I have few hobbies and dont collect things...she has seen the cost of guitars and tube amps. Is happy that I am happy with a basic guitar and small digital amp. And we wont even start with how much I could spend on a big 3 tier brewing rig!!

I dont think I was hinting. I was going to buy one of them, she got the jump on me and bought both. My birthday is in May.
I will of course go with whatever ruling is passed down.

I don't think he tried (or expected) to get the "buy" button pressed on it. [edit] Posts clashed in the aether, @Jayson24. :thumbup1:

The very fact that she is even aware you had a stocked basket is, to me, like laying a trail of gingerbread to your den :p

It is not really for any of us, well apart for our Dear Leader™ @FoolishMortal , to make the call. Do what your conscience tells you is the right thing.

My wife would simply cancel the order and only then proceed buying what she wanted!

We have a saying in the Netherlands which translates to something of “tying the cat to the bacon” meaning that you have made it really too easy and too tempting for your wife to press the button.

Whatever the ruling will be, please stick around @Jayson74 and go for either 28/28 or 27/28.

Guido
@Jayson74 , I think that @silverlifter has it right. You laid a trail, you had a full cart, your wife was aware of the cart (which could be because she watches what you do, or because you share a device and the tab was available, or because you told her), and you had been talking about what you planned to buy.

All that together, though, doesn't seem to rise (quite) to the level of "hinting". If you say you didn't hint - or didn't mean to - that's enough for me.

Have a good think about how things went down and then make your own "in-or-out" call. :)

And as Guido said, even if you call yourself "out", I hope you stick around.

Last edited:
Still in and another good shave today. Still nothing on my wishlist, I'm more excited about the perspective of reducing my den than adding anything to it 😁

2023-02-08 20.00.00.jpg

Shave #8
- Still In -

• *MdC Fougère - SOTM
  • Paladin Chief | 2-Band Silvertip
  • The Rodgers by Rodgers & Sons; Sheffield - 5/8
  • *Mühle R89
  • *Gillette Minora Platinum (8)- OBIF
  • Thayer's Astringent
  • Capt's Choice Island Time splash
* SWS

Phenomenal brush and blade combo here. The brush is a 26mm knot mounted to a handle similar to an M7, dimensionally speaking. I used this for the first time to face lather and boy was it silky, soft, and smooth; without sacrificing backbone. I can't say I have anything negative of the tips. I'm certain they are gelled, but definitely not on the extreme end - I'm super happy of this brush.

The razor is my first vintage and let me tell you - WOW
Hands down this was my best shave with a straight to date. Very smooth cutter with a keen edge. This is also my first 5/8 blade and I am really liking the nimbleness of it all. I have another Boker in 5/8 but that still needs to head out for honing - one of these days...
IMG_0590.JPG

Last edited:
Still in!

Same shave as all week. Decent overall but rushed again this morning. I need to either wake up earlier or start shaving at night. 8.5/10

Razor: Blackland blackbird brass
Blade: Kai (thanks for helping me figure that out guys!)
Soap: Stirling Electric Sheep
Brush: Simpsons polo12 super

Day 8, 28.6% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Opuntia
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #1
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave

Loaded a fresh Astra, and chose SV Opuntia (Beta 4.3) for the second week. Meanwhile, I "watered" my MWF to stop it drying out and cracking while it is out of use.

Made a thinner lather than intended — did not bloom enough. Got a reasonable near-BBS, but the slickness was not the best. User error.

I'll load more heavily next time, and get a fair comparison with Beta 4.1.

20230208_065749.jpg

2023 GRUYERE #49 - Still in
February 2023 GRUME #37 - Still in

Date: 02.08.23
Days growth: 3

Head shaver

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Personna med Prep (2)
Brush: Parker synthetic

Pre-shave: Hot shower using Dr. Bronners rose on face and head with facial scrubber

Lather: Burma-shave 1990's re-release puck and mug.

Passes: 3

Post Shave Routine and products:
1 - Hot rinse with microfiber towel X2
2 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1
3 - Alum block
4 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1
5 - Aftershave - Mamara #2
6 - Balm: Nivea sensitive skin

Time from shower on to dressed and ready: 55min.

NOTES: Just a great shave! I did nic my upper lip pretty good but not horrible. The Burma-shave was very plesant and provided good creamy lather that was slick enough and had good cushion. I love my Progress and love the med Prep blades.

Quality 9.5
Comfort 9.0
Overall: 9.25

Date09.02.2023
365 days of shaving40/365 (100%)
GRUYERE40/365 (100%)
GRUME February09/28 (100%)
02/12 (100%)
Other participations
  • Shave of the Week Society (SWS)
  • Discovery Blade Adventure
  • One Blade in February (OBiF)

Passes3
XWTGCheeks: N-S
Neck: N-S
WXTGCheeks L: W-E
Cheeks R: E-W
Neck: S-N
XATGCheeks: S-N
Neck: S-N

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95SCLTiger Platinum (3)Simpson T3
Pre-shaveSoap & BowlPost-shave
Cold splashDutchy Bergamot
Hybrid lathering
Cold splash

EfficiencyQuality
8/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (clean as a whistle)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+)8/10 (smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

Still in and happily cruising along.

The third run of Ti95SCL and the Tiger. Smooth as the two times before. No mishaps again and a nice DFS with BBS hints as a result. Very happy shaver here.

The Tiger made it clear that it will not survive the entire month of February, but the Ti95 is a razor that can tame the Tiger in a similar fashion as the Fatip Piccolo. Very happy about that!

Further details can be found in my journal here.

Enjoy your shave today!

Top Bottom