What's new

February 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still In GRUME, GRUYERE, SWS, 365 Shaves, Fruity February and OBIF

PXL_20230205_155102038.jpg

I am going to start shaving in the evening for a while.
I will use the same gear as yesterday.

Please take care of yourself and each other.

Still in?
Hey guys
In an effort to take care of my shaving brush one of our esteemed members recommended a comb to help with removing mats. Does purchasing a comb disqualify me from the February GRUME? :)

Does it come within the spirit (if maybe not the letter) of Rule 1c (my highlight in red)?

Having read about combing brushes being a good thing , you found you didn't have a comb lying around...
@Roedeer is asking the right question, and only @awk_m4 knows the answer. If you say you're still in, you're still in.

On the 6th day of February, I am out!

I sold my Karve Christopher Bradley Brass razor today, and found a Muhle Rocca Stainless for sale on Reddit for $10 more than I sold the Karve for.

Farewell my brothers! I'll be seeing you.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that this is our first "out" of the month (the above notwithstanding). Not too shabby, and for a worthy prize.

Enjoy! Please pop in to show us some pics and give a review, if you're so inclined, and feel free to continue to play along at home. There's a type of satisfaction in persevering for a "month-minus-one" finish.

And when a brother falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal - SOTMC, OBiF
2) @hopper_64 - OBiF
3) @Multum in parvo
4) @Doti B
5) @Guido75 - GRUYERE, OBiF, SWS
6) @silverlifter
7) @Balin - GRUYERE, SOTMC
8) @LJBraaten - GRUYERE, OBiF, FRUITY FEBRUARY
9) @iver
10) @JAHE - GRUYERE, SWS, Fruity February
11) @wmadoty - GRUYERE, OBiF
12) Markdad2 - GRUYERE - out (2/6: SS Rocca)
13) @Chef455 - GRUYERE, OBiF
14) @cryhavoc - GRUYERE
15) @DougK - GRUYERE
16) @ChriWilson - SOTMC, SWS, OBiF
17) @Roedeer
18) @SharpieB
19) @Jayson74 - SWS
20) @Trollky - GRUYERE
21) @tjsgarden - GRUYERE, OBIF, FRUITY FEBRUARY, 365 Shaves 2023, SWS
22) @StratMan
23) @La Malice - GRUYERE, SOTMC
24) @elmo_koffman - GRUYERE
25) @Jack Goossen
26) @bartje-p - GRUYERE
27) @sandorfi - GRUYERE, SOTMC
28) @zoidberg
29) @CJB3
30) @Contact_vs_Feedback
31) @Tillerman
32) @Dodger59
33) @wldecker
34) @awk_m4 - 365 Shaves 2023, OBiF
35) @cantujm
36) @Beto Salatini - Fruity February
37) @JKaboom - GRUYERE

Last edited:
Continuing conversations with my wife (/CFO).

A couple of weeks ago.

Me: this year, besides my monthly shaving restraint group I told you about, I also joined the annual shaving restraint. Figured I might as well since I don’t plan on buying anything soon.

She: {Silence}

Me: {I know in her heart she’s glad that I’m not “wasting” money on more shaving “junk.”}

Several days ago.

Me: You know, now that I’m into it for a few weeks I think the yearly restraint is really easier than the monthly restraint.

She: I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Me. You know, the shaving restraint groups I am in?

She. Oh.

Me: {Pretending she wants to know more…} Yeah, the general rules seem to be more lax about buying stuff, and there is an exception to buy one nonessential item per year. And at the beginning of every year there are two weeks where the successful people not only get to stock up for the year, but they are allowed to treewhale, that is buy anything they want. Nothing like that n the monthly restraint. Since the yearly overrides the monthly, I would be allowed to do that. But, of course, I’m not going to take advantage of that because I’m trying to exercise full restraint, and will continue to refrain from nonessential shaving purchases. I have all the basic supplies, but I will eventually need to restock on soap.

She: {Blinks her eyes a couple of times.}

Me: {I know in her heart she’s glad that I’m not “wasting” money on more shaving “junk.” She’s probably also relieved that I have not mentioned or invoked the 5% rule. That part of the budget that I am allowed to spend on anything that happens to be my current obsession.}

To be continued….

Last edited:
STILL IN GRUME, GRUYERE, 365 Shaves, Fruity February & OBIF
Today is also Muhle Monday.

PXL_20230205_155102038.jpg

UPDATE for SWS:
The Ariana & Evans L' Orange Verte soap seems to be causing some burning and stinging issues. This is the 2nd soap in my collection that doesn't suit my skin. I am switching to the Proraso Azur Lime for the remainder of the week.

Feather DX
Feather AC Pro (6)
Muhle XL STF
Proraso Azur Lime

It is interesting that the tube of Proraso shows a picture of a straight razor and uses the words "single blade". What I say is this is a slick and fragrant lather and my face doesn't have any sensitivity issues. DFS+ today.

Please take care of yourself and each other.
I get burning after a couple of days when there is no or low lanolin content. Perhaps?

To be continued….

Now you have a bunch of guys wanting "to know the rest of the story"!
I am curious if your strategy is leading to your yearly exception?
Sorry, I see that’s a bit misleading. Next conversation, another drama. 😝 Then it will continue.
Yearly exception, no strategies there. (Yet) I put that in because right now that is my main temptation. I KNOW I don’t need it and shouldn’t buy it. But…

- Still In -
Shave #7

Back home this morning, came way too early I must say…

Brilliant 2-pass again with Simpson’s S1 in Best. If I were a regular early morning shaving kind of guy, this would be my everyday brush. It absolutely performs in every way.

Made quick work of MdC today to make a slick lather for a comfortable shave.

Can’t wait to get back under a straight blade tomorrow :straight:

Last edited:
Still in! SOTD

Prep: hot shower + stirling pre-shave unscented soap

Razor: Brass Blackland Blackbird

Brush: Simpsons Polo12

Bowl: Captains Choice obsidian

Soap: Stirling Electric Sheep

Blade: ??? Got this in a sample pack from Razor Blade Club. Picture below. No markings on blade or paper wrapper.

After: WK eroe splash

Hopefully one of yall can help me identify this blade. Pretty good shave today DFS/DFS+ 8.5/10 overall, mainly just because I was a little rushed this morning to get to work.

20230207_191548.jpg

Top Bottom