What's new

February 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in

2 days of growth

February GRUME : 4
2023 GRUYERE : 21

Razor : Baili BR179
Blade : Gillette Platinum (2)
Pre Shave : Proraso white
Soap (SOTM) : Gillette Pure Cream
Brush : Semogue 1305
Aftershave: OSMA Alum Block, NIVEA MEN Sensitive Calm Moisturizer, spot use of Dove Men+Care moisturizer

Nice shave, a bit of really mild irritation on the left side jawline, hence the spot use of the second cream who resides in the car and can be used during the commute

Been working hard on my trouble spot , right side of the chin / corner of the mouth with great success limiting irritation and cut/nicks in this area.

Overall happy day.

Lupo 95
Polsilver
TroyCraft 'Apollo' 26mm G5C
MdC Rose
WK Chypre Rose Concerto

IMG-6918a.jpg

Well I got a nice surprise from the Missus this evening.
And now I need a judgment from all of you guys...Am I in or Am I out??

The tale: Lately I have mentioned several times that I want to get a second quality boar brush so that I can let them dry fully between uses. The way I shop is to load items into the cart and then wait, returning to look and compare over the course of days or even weeks until its time to hit pay. Well my lovely missus took it upon herself to fulfill my cart at Italian Barber. I have onroute to me a Semogue Galahad C3, a Razorock universal brush and razor stand (plastic one), a bottle of XXX splash, an Omega mixed midget and a La Toja shave stick. The mixed midget and La Toja were in the cart because I was considering it as a travel brush stored in the soap tube ala an old thread by @rockviper

My question is am I out? They are a gift from my wife, but, she used my card to pay.

Be well
Jay

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
You mean that I actually made a contribution that was of actual use to someone? OMG!!!

I'm sort of on a pseudo-permanent sabbatical (maybe buying a thing or two every few years, but very much in reduction mode) and not participating this year/quarter/month/day/hour/etc... , but here's my $0.02.....
This sounds like a gift from your wife to me. Yes you tempted fate by putting things in your cart but she did this of her own accord.

She DID do this of her own accord, right? LOL
My wife has never bought me any shaving kit nor any chess books. *sigh*

You mean that I actually made a contribution that was of actual use to someone? OMG!!!

I'm sort of on a pseudo-permanent sabbatical (maybe buying a thing or two every few years, but very much in reduction mode) and not participating this year/quarter/month/day/hour/etc... , but here's my $0.02.....
This sounds like a gift from your wife to me. Yes you tempted fate by putting things in your cart but she did this of her own accord.

She DID do this of her own accord, right? LOL
My wife has never bought me any shaving kit nor any chess books. *sigh*
Yes you did make a contribution that is a great idea.

She is honestly thankful that I have few hobbies and dont collect things...she has seen the cost of guitars and tube amps. Is happy that I am happy with a basic guitar and small digital amp. And we wont even start with how much I could spend on a big 3 tier brewing rig!!
Sounds like it falls under the hinting clause to me...
I dont think I was hinting. I was going to buy one of them, she got the jump on me and bought both. My birthday is in May.
I will of course go with whatever ruling is passed down.

Day 7, 25% (a proper ¼) complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #8
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave

Final day of SV70 week. Time got a bit short, so I had an autopilot shave plus tidy-ups, for a respectable DFS.

I'll probably use a Beta 4.3 SV next, and keep the other variables about the same.

Sounds like it falls under the hinting clause to me...

I don't think he tried (or expected) to get the "buy" button pressed on it. [edit] Posts clashed in the aether, @Jayson24. :thumbup1:

I dont think I was hinting. I was going to buy one of them, she got the jump on me and bought both

The very fact that she is even aware you had a stocked basket is, to me, like laying a trail of gingerbread to your den :p

It is not really for any of us, well apart for our Dear Leader™ @FoolishMortal , to make the call. Do what your conscience tells you is the right thing.

The very fact that she is even aware you had a stocked basket is, to me, like laying a trail of gingerbread to your den :p

It is not really for any of us, well apart for our Dear Leader™ @FoolishMortal , to make the call. Do what your conscience tells you is the right thing.
My wife would simply cancel the order and only then proceed buying what she wanted!

We have a saying in the Netherlands which translates to something of “tying the cat to the bacon” meaning that you have made it really too easy and too tempting for your wife to press the button.

Whatever the ruling will be, please stick around @Jayson74 and go for either 28/28 or 27/28.

Guido

Date08.02.2023
365 days of shaving39/365 (100%)
GRUYERE39/365 (100%)
GRUME February08/28 (100%)
Other participations
  • Shave of the Week Society (SWS)
  • Discovery Blade Adventure
  • One Blade in February (OBiF)

Passes2.5
XWTGCheeks: N-S
Neck: N-S
WXTGCheeks L: W-E
Cheeks R: E-W
Neck: S-N
XATGCheeks: S-N

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95SCLTiger Platinum (2)DVH Synthetic
Pre-shaveSoap & BowlPost-shave
Cold splashDutchy Bergamot
Hybrid lathering
Cold splash

EfficiencyQuality
8/10 (~29 minutes)10/10 (clean as a whistle)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+)8/10 (smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

Still in. Experiencing some differences between GRUME and GRUYERE, but totally manageable.

A second run of the Ti95SCL with the Tiger. And again a very nice and enjoyable shave. No irritations, weepers or similar mishaps.

Further details can be found in my journal here.

Enjoy your shave today!

Still in...

20230206_142826-01.jpeg
Fruity February continues with a lovely orange/lime scented soap by Black Ship Grooming (Thomas Tew). Super bright and refreshing. Finished the shave with Orange Chill AS by Stirling... 🍊🍋🍊
2 passes, BBS on the cheeks, DFS on the neck.
😎👍

Stay on course, y'all! 😀

Still in

The blade started to tug some today, I think it's time for a new blade.

Razor: Schick Type L2 Stick Schick
Blade: Schick Injector blade (24)
Soap: Wickham Soap Co. 1912 Scottish Heather
Brush: Vie-Long BGS 2012 Butterscotch Beehive Horse
AS: Pinaud Clubman

Still in! SOTD

Prep: hot shower + stirling pre-shave unscented soap

Razor: Brass Blackland Blackbird

Brush: Simpsons Polo12

Bowl: Captains Choice obsidian

Soap: Stirling Electric Sheep

Blade: ??? Got this in a sample pack from Razor Blade Club. Picture below. No markings on blade or paper wrapper.

After: WK eroe splash

Hopefully one of yall can help me identify this blade. Pretty good shave today DFS/DFS+ 8.5/10 overall, mainly just because I was a little rushed this morning to get to work.

View attachment 1602249

It could also be a Personna Tomy blade, which isn't as sharp as a Kai from what I gather. The Tomy is an unmarked blade but the wrapper above doesn't look like a Tomy, I think the above looks like a Kai.

8/2/23 - still in

Pre - Palmolive
Brush - Yaqi Plissoft 22mm
Soap - MWF/Kent
Razor - Old Type
Blade - Gillette Super Thin Platinum Vietnam (1)
Post - Witch Hazel
AS - Denim Black

For another forum I frequent, I'm participating in 'Fat February', a month of using Mitchell's Wool Fat and also Hampshire Wool Fat. So far I've just been using the MWF variety, and so far I've been using the extended Fat runout to try out some new blades.
I've used both the Thai and Vietnam market Gillette Super Thins in my Old Type and I'm incredibly impressed with both blades, they are sharp and very smooth. I'd go to say both blades are exactly the same but with different packaging but priced differently. I'd recommend buying whichever is the cheapest.
The Old Type doesn't seem to get as much love as some other classic razors, but I find with a sharp blade it's gloriously smooth in the shave.
I'm enjoying this GRUME so far, instead of always looking to buy more blades I'm getting a chance to use some of the ones I have had for a while.

Anyway gents, have a good day.

IMG_20230208_122832.jpg

Still in

1 day of growth

February GRUME : 5
2023 GRUYERE : 22

Razor : Baili BR179
Blade : Gillette Platinum (2)
Pre Shave : Proraso white that one is almost done
Soap (SOTM) : Gillette Pure Cream
Brush : Semogue 1305
Aftershave: OSMA Alum Block, NIVEA MEN Sensitive Calm Moisturizer and then Dove Men+Care moisturizer

Pretty much a rinse and repeat of yesterday's shave, happy with the result, went ahead and did a complete second coating of moisturizer, this seems to be a happy medium for me.

SOTD February 8th
GRUME February 2023
Fruity February

Hello friends!

I started the morning looking for a fruity lather and…well, I guess technically an almond is a fruit, isn’t it?

I had a DFS with Cella, Floïd, EJ89 and Nacet (5), a blade that is not the sharpest nor the smoothest, but for me it is the most reliable. I never had a bad shave with it, never mind the razor. The brush was the Omega Pro 48 that I use in the old-fashioned way of Italian barbers, holding the knot with my fingertips so as not to spread too much.

Take care and have a great shave!
❤️ 🪒

08D6ECAC-C0E8-4454-AC2B-14CA691D13F1.jpeg
3D067778-DBDF-4EA8-AE6D-B0BF78FB0A68.jpeg

Top Bottom