What's new

Feather AS-D2 - is it the blade gap?

All,
I recently acquired an AS-D2 (thanks, BST!) but I'm wondering what's up with it (and me). I know that my very sensitive skin requires very, very, very mild razors. My daily driver since about 2017 or thereabouts is a 6S with #3 plate. With my usual daily 2-pass shave (XTG/ATG) I get very good BBS results with very little irritation. Doing the same with the AS-D2 (no pressure, riding the cap) also results in a BBS shave, but my skin feels like on fire after that.

Do I need less blade gap after all? Some previous experiments (ATT S1/M1, Ikon X3, Henson medium, prewar Tech) didn't go too well, way too harsh for me (although the Tech wasn't too bad, just not good). Even the DE89 I had back in the day was "just ok".

I've noticed that all of those have a blade gap of 0.6mm or more.

What I found online:
AS-D2: 0.73mm
6S on 3: 0.48mm

So if I want to try something new, go with a Mamba 53 (0.53mm, somewhere between a plate 3 and 4 on the 6S)? Or just stick with the 6S since it just works for me?

Anyone got a Mamba 53 lying around collecting dust?

Bought my wife a Mamba 53 and of course I gave it a couple runs. Comparing it to my AS-D2 it is a very mild shaver, I had to check on occasion if a blade was loaded, but it did give me the same result as the ASD2 with generally 3 passes. If I were to get a Mamba it would be the 70, in any case a very fine shaver and far better feeling razor to use than the Henson.

BTW on a whim and to get free shipping from Italian Barber I included a SLOC. Darn thing looks like a shark but feels and shaves just like my ASD2, both loaded with Feather blades. I still can't say which one gives a closer shave, right now they are equal to me.

The as-d2 has a negative blade exposure, what might be your problem. Maybe that forced you to apply more pressure.
I wasn't satisfied with the as-d2 too.

My recommendation is to stay with the 6s, it's a great razor.
If you want to try something new try R2, but you have to focus a lot on the angle.
You also might try the higher plates, just for fun.
The good thing about experimenting with different plates is the fact that it's the same razor and basically the same handling.

Try some different blades with the AS-D2 after you’ve been using it for a month or so… And less pressure as was mentioned.

you could try adjusting the angle of the AS-D2, but it’s not as wide as some razors - I’ve found that when I concentrate on the angle, I’m using less pressure… with the AS-D2 it’s tempting to use more pressure if it’s not shaving as close - I have to use a different blade if I want that sort of shave.

The Rockwell 6S is really forgiving compared to some razors (in my experience).

I’m going back and comparing blades in different razors - when I had a Tatara, I tried a bunch of blades using only that razor for a few months - some blades would do the same thing in that one - really leave me burning after a shave - so less pressure, but then the shave wasn’t that great compared to another blade, and so on. AND - blades that did bad in that one did well in the Rockwell.

Give it a bit - it’s a good razor if you can get it dialed in to your satisfaction.

If not, I might be interested in a second one ;)

I know that my very sensitive skin requires very, very, very mild razors.
Just wondering what led to this conclusion?

My own experience is somewhat opposite: A more "aggressive" razor, or possibly one that provides more blade feedback, might lead to less "blade to face" time and thus less possibility for irritation.

Not to contradict your own experience or to start controversy, but you might want to reconsider this initial conclusion ("only very 'mild' razors will work for me").

Just wondering what led to this conclusion?
hmm, the fact that more aggressive razors felt very uncomfortable and led to cuts. Like in general not a positive shave experience.

To the others, thanks for commenting: I definitively used no pressure, I was very careful to exactly not do that. It did shave well once I found the correct angle, even without pressure.

Oh, I forgot to mention: I usually use Feather, Kai and BIC blades in my 6S, where they all work very well, and so far have tried Feather and BIC in the AS-D2.
But I'll give it some time. Maybe just not every day...

I don't prefer the phrase "no pressure" and instead prefer to say "use a very light touch." Perhaps in your case a more "aggressive" razor might work well for you with a lighter touch. From my own experience, as an example, I thought the R41 would be a terrible razor. When I tried it (with a very light touch) I found it shaves very efficiently and without cuts or irritation.

Again, this is just for your consideration. Everyone's experiences are different, of course. Just sharing mine just in case it might be helpful.

ASD2 is a great razor - but as mentioned above, took me time to find the ideal approach / angle for me.
My suggestion would be to carry on with it as your sole razor and to not change up blades while you're dialing it in.

Try to minimize as many variables, in order to give it an honest go. My take would be over the course of a week (min) to use a soap that works well for you with a modest blade. Perhaps assess your lather to determine if there is enough slickness for glide.

This morning's:
full

* Italian Barber's Vintage Thick SS Handle

I have used the AS-D2 daily for 4 years.

Like you, I have sensitive skin and the blades that work for me in the AS-D2 are blades known to be less sharp.

I use Dovo blades formerly Merkur Allemande and I get about ten shaves with one blade.

My technique with the AS-D2 has greatly improved over the years so on occasion, I try other blades that I have.
Dovo, Feather, Shark SP, Astra and Wilkinson. I don't know why but only one blade suits me and it's the Dovo.

The AS-D2 is an incredible razor that I consider more gentle and effective than the Henson and Rockwell ( i own both ).

Never sell the AS-D2, it's a work of art.

Henson harsh? Find that hard to believe. Sounds like your issues have nothing to do with the razor or blades. Perhaps your technique or the cream or soap you are using isn’t suitable. Probably best to look at those rather than the razor.

Per my experience with the ASD2, I think your problem is the angle. The ASD2 requires an angle more towards the cap (i.e. razor handle directed towards the ceiling, not towards the floor) than other razors. When I angle my ASD2 wrong I get more feedback and I get irritation.

It is a relatively narrow sweet spot, but the work spent on finding it is well rewarded.

Never used the Feather, but have the Rockwell 6S. In many youtube videos I see both in the video, and the comments, that the razor uses a different angle than most others, 45 degrees? So if not using the optimum angle, then there will be a tendency to force if using incorrect angle or pressing too much. Hopefully, by the time you read this you will have worked it out.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Blade gap vs exposure.

If the blade gap is larger I don't need as much exposure and vice versa. I need enough exposure or gap so the darn blade will get deep into the crease in my chin or other non flat areas of the face.

As to Feather AS-D2 vs Henson (+ and ++). The Henson ++ can give more blade feel than the Feather. However after the shave is done, the Henson always feels better. In fact something about the Feather stubble is irritated if I rub my hand ATG a few hours post shave and I never get that from the Henson.

Also for me the Henson requires noticeably thinner soap or it wants to float too much and cut too little.

I just sent back an AS-D2 that I really liked but I’m only keeping one razor in my set as a user and one family razor for special occasions.

I took mine on a ten day vacation with me and figured it out. I really appreciate how tight this razor clamps blades and how closely it clamps to the blades edge.

It definitely had a different technique to cut well and less irritation. When I got the angle it was like butter. However I found better and ended up sending it back since it wasn’t the best fit for me.

I think blade selection makes a big difference with this razor as well. Once I found the angle with a KAI blade I was able to go back to a feather blade and have better technique for a pretty efficient shave.

Hope you figure it out but I think it takes time exclusively with the razor.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I also have the same view as the previous few people.
The AS-D2 is the benchmark for a gentle razor and requires precise/narrow optimal angle control.

Therefore, the user may unconsciously apply more pressure or angle than usual, causing unexpected stimulation.

We wouldn't blame it for an extremely gentle razor, and you can usually get great results if you take some time to get used to it.

Even counterintuitively, I sometimes put a shim under the blade to increase the gap, making it as intuitive as a neutral razor and possibly preventing myself from applying too much pressure.

Never used the AS-D2, but the 6S is a phenomenal, forgiving razor, as you've found. I also like the #3 plate.

Has your experience with the AS-D2 improved with practice since thread creation? Could be a practice thing. It's easy to get used to the 6S's wide angle tolerance when switching to a more demanding razor? Looking forward to updates

Also for me the Henson requires noticeably thinner soap or it wants to float too much and cut too little.
This has been my problem with my Henson. To mitigate the float, I have to thin out my lather to where it loses lubricity.

If I leave it thicker and slicker, I have trouble modulating my pressure. Using too much pressure to mitigate the float ends up irritating me.

I return to it from time to time to see if I'm missing something.

Someone once suggested a cream, like Jack Black. At present, I'm happy with my Masamune and Overlander, but one day, I'll explore soaps for the Henson further.

... Thom

Top Bottom