What's new

DSC AX - Poleaxe Ti - Which blade gaps?

Appreciate the effort, but the photo would need to centered on the end of the blade. Similar to your first photo but with the razor oriented so that it looks like what you would imagine what a cross section of the razor would look like. If that makes sense.

I put a line on @m949 's picture. Not a best angle but it is clearly not a neutral exposure.

axti_exposure.jpg

I put a line on @m949 's picture. Not a best angle but it is clearly not a neutral exposure.

View attachment 1853936
Yeah, I think that line at least shows the aliexpress data is incorrect. A blade thickness is ~0.1 mm and it looks like it sticks out past that line by at least a few blade thicknesses.

Without getting into an argument about whether cloning a design is ethical or not, if all the dimensions are truly cloned, it should shave at least similarly.

I saw a post on this thread where someone measured the exposure on both sides of this razor. It seemed that it was most accurate on the stainless steel model. I'd love to pick one of those up but they've been out of stock for quite some months. That or I'm just not checking frequently enough.

Yeah, I think that line at least shows the aliexpress data is incorrect. A blade thickness is ~0.1 mm and it looks like it sticks out past that line by at least a few blade thicknesses.

That picture is a bad angle so you can't really draw a line on it to measure anything. But it's the titanium version so it could be different compared to the zamak version.

All 3 zamak plates feel pretty close to neutral exposure to me when I put my finger on the fully assembled razor with a blade in it.

They're not completely neutral since they'll catch when run along a credit card edge but I think that also happens with a lot of neutral exposure razors due to small variances.

Let's be fair, using the AX is just using the AX, it is not trying a Wolfman. They have some superficial resemblances, but that's as far as it goes.

Well not wanting to go to battle, it is possible reverse engineer most products in 2024. China is good at that.

Maybe I am wrong but the day will come when counterfeiters will take the next step, making a Clone Wolfman. Done to last destabilize, including packaging.

The sad part of this is the inventor, and owner of a product, will loose sales because the consumer will by the lower priced clone.

Plus a person in USA has little power to stop the counterfeiter.

This is world we live in in 2024,do not see trend stopping.

One need only go to border town in Mexico to find Cloneof designersunglasses,hand ads, knives, and sport team official merchandise.

The design does not belong to Wolfman; it wasn't stolen from them or counterfeited by the Chinese from the WR2. Personna had this same design in a British-produced 1960-70s model called the BBS-0.

I am not defending DSCosmetic or Yaqi - they don't have many original designs. Nor am I attacking Wolfman for cloning a razor which sold for about $4 in the 60s. It's just that you can quickly google the original and see that if anything was "stolen" here, it happened in US soil first.

If DSC or Yaqi attempted to sell their razors at Wolfman prices, they wouldn't stay in business long. If Wolfman sold razors of quality on par with DSC and Yaqi, they would not be able to charge the same prices. For some people, the unapproachable quality of a US-made Wolfman is worth the price - the waiting list is long. For some people, the flaws/irregularities of the Chinese models are a reasonable tradeoff to get a working design with quality on par with its price. The obvious note here - despite low prices, there seems to be more supply than demand, at least on zamak and titanium models - otherwise there would be a waiting list. The Wolfman buyer isn't interested in the Chinese "almost" model. The DSC/Yaqi buyer isn't thinking, "should I hold out and save $600 more and get in line for a WR2?" These are two completely different markets.

The design does not belong to Wolfman; it wasn't stolen from them or counterfeited by the Chinese from the WR2. Personna had this same design in a British-produced 1960-70s model called the BBS-0.

I am not defending DSCosmetic or Yaqi - they don't have many original designs. Nor am I attacking Wolfman for cloning a razor which sold for about $4 in the 60s. It's just that you can quickly google the original and see that if anything was "stolen" here, it happened in US soil first.

If DSC or Yaqi attempted to sell their razors at Wolfman prices, they wouldn't stay in business long. If Wolfman sold razors of quality on par with DSC and Yaqi, they would not be able to charge the same prices. For some people, the unapproachable quality of a US-made Wolfman is worth the price - the waiting list is long. For some people, the flaws/irregularities of the Chinese models are a reasonable tradeoff to get a working design with quality on par with its price. The obvious note here - despite low prices, there seems to be more supply than demand, at least on zamak and titanium models - otherwise there would be a waiting list. The Wolfman buyer isn't interested in the Chinese "almost" model. The DSC/Yaqi buyer isn't thinking, "should I hold out and save $600 more and get in line for a WR2?" These are two completely different markets.

Your post is on the mark with what I call honest truthful information. Also your reference to the Persona BBS-O was eye opening, after searching for photos of that 1960's Razor. I saw design elements from the Persona elements in the Wolfman of 2024. But the Persona appears to be stamped plated brass, and the Wolfmen is a machine product.

Different time the 1960's, technology has changed the way products are built in 2024, CNC Machines are better, faster, and capable of doing manufacturing operation no possible 70 year ago.

Last edited:

the office agree GIF by EditingAndLayout

The AX Stainless Steel heads were available on the Chinese Taobao site about two weeks ago. The hope was that some of those would make it on the AE shop as well. I was looking the AX up today on DSC's Taobao shop: none of them are in stock. That includes the 1.35mm and 1.55 mm Ti heads as well. The Ti 1.15mm head is the only one available to order. Seems that demand for the AX in China is rather high.

DSC states on their AE site for the AX about blade exposure: "about +0.06 mm (I say roughly because of blade width variance)".

I bought the DSCAX 1.55Ti and 1.35SS and used them for about a week (I always shave every two or three days), and I think the 1.55Ti shows exactly the smoothness that you describe, but I can definitely feel the blade going through the skin when I shave - this makes me need to handle it carefully. When using 1.55Ti I always choose to shave twice to reach BBS (as opposed to three times when using Lupo 72) so as to avoid skin irritation. If I just wanted to get my daily shave done with ease, I wouldn't choose the 1.55Ti. The 1.35SS showed efficiency and stimulation in between.
And thanks again for everyone's comments. If needed, I will pass on the news when new items are on DSC shelves.

Fingers crossed we see some new SS and Ti AX on AE soon. I am still debating between the 1.15 and 1.35 in SS or possibly Ti (never tried a Ti razor). The 1.55 zamac gives a great close shave but I typically pick up some weepers and the next day my neck shows signs of over shaving. I am curious if the lighter Ti razor would tame down the 1.55 or if it really makes any difference.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
@bdehne there is also the SS head, Ti handle option. I personally like to go for uniformity, though. The thicker DSCosmetic handles are solid on top of 14-15 mm diameter and 90 mm something dimensions. Getting such a handle rather in titanium might not be the worst choice. I personally find the Destroyer handle a bit too heavy with rather little grip in SS, I have to grip it between the segments to hold it securely, the ribbons/patterns themselves are very smooth and not grippy with soap.

P.S. I would go with 1.35 given your reports, regardless of weight/material.

I use the Destroyer Ti handle with the AX Ti 1.55. The total weight of the razor is 68 g with that handle. Handle length is 90 mm, width is 14 mm. It’s a great combination. I got the Pioneer Ti handle on the way.

I can’t say much about whether it shaves differently from the Zamak or steel versions as I don’t have those heads. So far the 1.55 Ti head didn’t cause me any problems. But I shave every second day, never ATG. I wouldn’t use the AX 1.55 as a daily driver though. I believe for daily shaves that head would cause me quite some irritation. But if you’re yearning for the occasional easy-to-pull-off BBS the AX is it.

I second @Iridian ’s guidance that the 1.35 mm would be a very good option for you. I don’t think that the different material will make much of a difference apart from being lighter.

@Iridian , @m949 and @c__port , thanks for your excellent feed back! I really like that Spiral handle. If the Ti 1.35 head comes back in stock, I may just order my first Ti razor. That is the question though, will it come back in stock anytime soon? If not, I have the zamac version and I could always post on the BST.

I took a closer look at my zamac AX. I am currently using a Weber handle and the balance point was midway down the handle. The overall weight came in at 89g. Typically, razors that work well for me have a balance point closer to the head. I decided to try some different handles to both get the overall weight down and the balance closer to the head. With a RazoRock thin bar stainless, the weight is down to 69g and the balance point is up close to the head. I will give this combo a try tomorrow and see how the 1.35 works with less weight and a balance point optimized for me.

Top Bottom