What's new

DSC AX - Poleaxe Ti - Which blade gaps?

Yes please let us know if the SS heads become available. I’ve only been checking every week or so but would love to order the 1.35 head and maybe 1.55 as well in SS.

I shaved with the 1.55 zamak head the other day for the second time and came to the conclusion one side shaves perfect and the other side feels a little harsh. I noticed this on my first shave with the 1.55 head and thought it might be the blade or just too large of a gap but with a new blade it was very apparent the 2nd time. One side of the razor feels about as smooth as the 1.35 head and the other side is just too aggressive feeling for me to enjoy.

I have the newer head with the weird 2s being stamped everywhere like 1.22 etc instead of 1.55. Does anyone else notice the same with the newer head? I imagine the older ones would be a different casting.

IMG_6918.jpeg

I upgraded the AX Ti (1.55 mm) head with a new Titanium handle from DSC, the Pioneer PVT. Both head and handle are Grade 5 Titanium. DSC has other Titanium handles but not many in Grade 5 Ti; most are TC4. I have no idea which one is better, but since the AX head is Grade 5, I figured that the PVT handle would be quite matching.

It's an interesting handle. It has a length of 92 mm, a diameter of 14 mm, and weighs 52 g. The razor is perfectly balanced with this handle. The larger diameter provides a sufficiently large area to rest on the pinky during the shave. Since it doesn't have any knurling it can get a bit slippery with soapy fingers on polished surfaces of the handle, but the indents are perfectly sized and located to place the fingers and the grip becomes quite secure that way.

There is one slight problem I have with this handle and it's the same I have experienced with the DSC Destroyer Ti handle: it's easy to get the handle slightly stuck when screwing it on the AX Ti head. At first I thought that either the threads on the head or the ones in the handle have an issue. But testing different handles on the head didn't reproduce the issue, neither did screwing the handles on other heads. I believe that it may have something to do with the Titanium itself and of course the larger diameter of these handles; it's easy to inadvertently shift the handle so that it is not straight on the threads when screwing it on the head. It's important then to not force it any further, screw the handle back and then start again. It worries me a bit whether at some point the threads will be worn out, but then again this is Titanium and should last a long time.

Other than this slight issue, I'm very happy with this handle. It matches the head quite well and has this unique design which is functional and pleasing to the eye. These indents also reflect light quite nicely.

In terms of machining quality, it is excellent. I couldn't find any tooling marks on the handle at all.

P.S.: Currently all Stainless Steel and Titanium AX heads are sold out on DSC's Taobao shop.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
@m949 I have quite some DSC handles and heads, it's a bit luck of the draw, some lock very tightly and some came with black gunk, likely machining residue?, but adding some Ballistol (or any other oil/lubricant IMO) helped some, but not all of them.

The Grade 5 thing is... either it was a very old handle or from a very new batch. My steel Pioneer is also of the more tightly locking sort.

For Yaqi and Yintal it is similar.

If you ever need a super buttery Ti handle, you probably heard the praise for the Timeless Ti Crown often enough!!! :)

View attachment 1857540

I upgraded the AX Ti (1.55 mm) head with a new Titanium handle from DSC, the Pioneer PVT. Both head and handle are Grade 5 Titanium. DSC has other Titanium handles but not many in Grade 5 Ti; most are TC4. I have no idea which one is better, but since the AX head is Grade 5, I figured that the PVT handle would be quite matching.

It's an interesting handle. It has a length of 92 mm, a diameter of 14 mm, and weighs 52 g. The razor is perfectly balanced with this handle. The larger diameter provides a sufficiently large area to rest on the pinky during the shave. Since it doesn't have any knurling it can get a bit slippery with soapy fingers on polished surfaces of the handle, but the indents are perfectly sized and located to place the fingers and the grip becomes quite secure that way.

There is one slight problem I have with this handle and it's the same I have experienced with the DSC Destroyer Ti handle: it's easy to get the handle slightly stuck when screwing it on the AX Ti head. At first I thought that either the threads on the head or the ones in the handle have an issue. But testing different handles on the head didn't reproduce the issue, neither did screwing the handles on other heads. I believe that it may have something to do with the Titanium itself and of course the larger diameter of these handles; it's easy to inadvertently shift the handle so that it is not straight on the threads when screwing it on the head. It's important then to not force it any further, screw the handle back and then start again. It worries me a bit whether at some point the threads will be worn out, but then again this is Titanium and should last a long time.

Other than this slight issue, I'm very happy with this handle. It matches the head quite well and has this unique design which is functional and pleasing to the eye. These indents also reflect light quite nicely.

In terms of machining quality, it is excellent. I couldn't find any tooling marks on the handle at all.

P.S.: Currently all Stainless Steel and Titanium AX heads are sold out on DSC's Taobao shop.
Very cool looking razor.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Spotted this on AliExpress. Boti makes a wolfman style razor, polished titanium. 1.15 gap with .15 exposure. $65
Anyone tried this one yet?
Yes, I got the full razor with fitting titanium handle and stand. It compared favorably to the 1.5 SB Yaqi WR2 clone, but the 1.5 OC with slightly changed geometry was way more savage again. It is very mild, would definitely have preferred to get the 1.35 or 1.55 version, but seems they only have this one in 1.15.

Yes, I got the full razor with fitting titanium handle and stand. It compared favorably to the 1.5 SB Yaqi WR2 clone, but the 1.5 OC with slightly changed geometry was way more savage again. It is very mild, would definitely have preferred to get the 1.35 or 1.55 version, but seems they only have this one in 1.15.
Great info. I got the Yaqi 1.35 stainless and the DSC zinc alloy set. Will hold off on this one for now.
Thanks

Lads, I had the DSCosmetic AX-SE but ultimately sold it and upgraded to a 1.55 AX Ti and that's all thanks to @m949. Put it on a Timeless TRH8 handle and this is my top shaver. I love it to bits. I'm honest enough to say that I can't afford a Wolfman even though I'm a mega fan of the Wolves but the AX 1.55 delivers a shave as close to the WR 2 1.55 as possible. Take the price difference into consideration and this is a winner.

DS AX Ti and Timeless TRH8.jpg

DS Timeless 3.jpg

Lads, I had the DSCosmetic AX-SE but ultimately sold it and upgraded to a 1.55 AX Ti and that's all thanks to @m949. Put it on a Timeless TRH8 handle and this is my top shaver. I love it to bits. I'm honest enough to say that I can't afford a Wolfman even though I'm a mega fan of the Wolves but the AX 1.55 delivers a shave as close to the WR 2 1.55 as possible. Take the price difference into consideration and this is a winner.
What a beautiful razor. The TRH8 handle really makes it shine. It's a pity that this handle is currently not available on the Timeless Website. I'm glad that the AX Ti has become your top shaver, I can confidently say it is my top shaver as well.

I have mentioned in my previous post that the my new DSC Pioneer Ti handle is causing me some problems. On @Iridian 's advice I used some q-tips on the handle to see whether there is some gunk in it which would cause the problems with screwing the handle on the head. And lo and behold, it wasn't so much machining gunk which came out, but actual titanium shavings and dust from drilling the thread. I had the same result with my Destroyer Ti handle which is now abut 6 months old. I will now try to do a more thorough cleaning of the handles and add some lubrication to the threads.

I guess that this sort of thing won't happen with a Timeless of Wolfman handle, here you can see where the price difference lies - in quality control. My guess is that DSC orders 1000 handles for a certain price, whereas Timeless & Wolfman handles are probably machined in far fewer numbers. Also, more time per handle is spent on quality control.

This in no way detracts from the shaving experience one can get from an AX Ti head; it's still a very, very good head. But it's a good lesson to keep in mind: a few titanium shavings in the threads of a $20 handle won't be as frustrating than the same shavings in a $60 handle. In the end, you'll get what you pay for.

For me that is an acceptable trade-off for a very good razor at an attractive price point. The DSC AX Ti with the Pioneer Ti handle provides very good value to me, despite this small inconvenience. I'm sure that a Wolfman would provide even more value, but I'm just not ready to pay the difference. I guess you could make the analogy to Fountain pens like a Pilot Custom 74 vs. a Montblanc Meisterstück 146; both are writing instruments and will write beautifully. They even look very similar (some even say that the Custom 74 is a copy of the MB146). The MB146 will cost considerably more and the value comes from better quality control and of course perceived brand value. And just as the Custom 74 has a particular market different from the MB146, so does the AX Ti.

Attachments

• IMG_6966.jpeg
    IMG_6966.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6944.jpeg
    IMG_6944.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27

Iridian

Cool and slimy
You gunkheads endanger my wallet. 😁

While it is totally OT:

My lucky ballpen is a Waterman Carene Deluxe, dark moss green. I got it suspiciously cheap while studying and still use it to sign my hopefully luck-favored contracts. 🖊️

I have AX-SE one, made of zamac with same geometry of AX cnc milled version.

It comes with 3 different plates; 1.15 mm, 1.35 mm and 1.55 mm.

It is a precious razor. And very cheap for its performance, holds the blade aligned perfectly. Every single user can find their efficiency level between these 3 plates.

1.15 mm is a mild and smooth razor like gc .68
1.35 is a med-agressive plate like gc .84, lupo 72 or 3one6
1.55 plate is efficient and smooth plate.
1717916151695.png

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Yaqi 1.5 OC
YOC24155.jpg

Looking forward to compare it to the 1.55 scalloped from DSCosmetic.

Slight weeper dead center of my chin, guess me and my skin are getting old. But thankfully I am not a bleeder and it already closed.

This one is much more efficient and aggressive as it is not only an OC, Yaqi also altered the cap and general blade geometry compared to the SB, beware!

What a beautiful razor. The TRH8 handle really makes it shine. It's a pity that this handle is currently not available on the Timeless Website. I'm glad that the AX Ti has become your top shaver, I can confidently say it is my top shaver as well.

I have mentioned in my previous post that the my new DSC Pioneer Ti handle is causing me some problems. On @Iridian 's advice I used some q-tips on the handle to see whether there is some gunk in it which would cause the problems with screwing the handle on the head. And lo and behold, it wasn't so much machining gunk which came out, but actual titanium shavings and dust from drilling the thread. I had the same result with my Destroyer Ti handle which is now abut 6 months old. I will now try to do a more thorough cleaning of the handles and add some lubrication to the threads.

I guess that this sort of thing won't happen with a Timeless of Wolfman handle, here you can see where the price difference lies - in quality control. My guess is that DSC orders 1000 handles for a certain price, whereas Timeless & Wolfman handles are probably machined in far fewer numbers. Also, more time per handle is spent on quality control.

This in no way detracts from the shaving experience one can get from an AX Ti head; it's still a very, very good head. But it's a good lesson to keep in mind: a few titanium shavings in the threads of a $20 handle won't be as frustrating than the same shavings in a $60 handle. In the end, you'll get what you pay for.

For me that is an acceptable trade-off for a very good razor at an attractive price point. The DSC AX Ti with the Pioneer Ti handle provides very good value to me, despite this small inconvenience. I'm sure that a Wolfman would provide even more value, but I'm just not ready to pay the difference. I guess you could make the analogy to Fountain pens like a Pilot Custom 74 vs. a Montblanc Meisterstück 146; both are writing instruments and will write beautifully. They even look very similar (some even say that the Custom 74 is a copy of the MB146). The MB146 will cost considerably more and the value comes from better quality control and of course perceived brand value. And just as the Custom 74 has a particular market different from the MB146, so does the AX Ti.
I had the same issue with the Destroyer Ti handle and it was still a problem when screwing the head on even after I cleaned it. There was always a play on the first two turns of the thread. I have three DScosmetic SS handles and absolutely no issue with those. Those are super smooth.

Mate, you can get the Timeless handle from Maggard Razors. It works out much cheaper for us blokes in Asia and they even have the 0.5 OC base plate which is always out of stock on the Timeless website.

Yaqi 1.5 OC
View attachment 1859623
Looking forward to compare it to the 1.55 scalloped from DSCosmetic.

Slight weeper dead center of my chin, guess me and my skin are getting old. But thankfully I am not a bleeder and it already closed.

This one is much more efficient and aggressive as it is not only an OC, Yaqi also altered the cap and general blade geometry compared to the SB, beware!
I've used this one quite a few times and got it on your advice @Iridian . I did encounter a bit of tugging when using it with a Rapira Lux platinum but with the Wizamet Super Iridium, I've always had a super smooth and efficient shave with it, no weepers or nicks. Having said that, I do use it for two or three days growth and would avoid it as a daily driver. Terrific Tool from Yaqi.

I hope you've tried a 1.55 WR2
Hey Konrad, Was fortunate to use a friend's Wolf 1.55 for two weeks. Probably my fav razor ever. I couldn't afford it andwhen I did come across the AX Zamak and then the TI, realized that it is super close to a Wolfman Shave experience. I'd go out on a limb to say it is 93 percent bang on. The original will always have the edge but price point, the DScosmetic version knocks it out of the ball park.

Many who are fairly new to DE Shaving look forward to a Carbon, A Blur Rasur BR 1, A Blackbird Ti etc. For me, If I did get a big Boy Razor, it would be the WR2 1.55.

Top Bottom