What's new

DSC AX - Poleaxe Ti - Which blade gaps?

Hey Konrad, Was fortunate to use a friend's Wolf 1.55 for two weeks. Probably my fav razor ever. I couldn't afford it andwhen I did come across the AX Zamak and then the TI, realized that it is super close to a Wolfman Shave experience. I'd go out on a limb to say it is 93 percent bang on. The original will always have the edge but price point, the DScosmetic version knocks it out of the ball park.

Many who are fairly new to DE Shaving look forward to a Carbon, A Blur Rasur BR 1, A Blackbird Ti etc. For me, If I did get a big Boy Razor, it would be the WR2 1.55.
I understand
Yep Yes GIF by C H A R L Ö T T E

As I mentioned in some posts before I’ve been having some trouble with screwing the DSC Ti handles on the AX Ti head. Upon @Iridian ‘s advice I used some Q-Tips to remove titanium shavings and titanium dust from the handle threads. @Iridian also advised me to lubricate the handle and head threads with Ballistol oil. Ballistol is a German lubricant which is non- toxic and doesn’t clump or gunk up the lubricated area.

To be honest, I haven’t heard of Ballistol before but this product seemed intriguing. After all the razor is in close contact with our skin and a non-toxic or non- allergenic lubricant would be the way to go. I guess something like WD-40 would work just as well, but I wouldn’t want that on my skin.

Now, applying an oily substance to these rather small threads may be messy and probably dipping a Q-Tip in oil would work okay. However, I found that Ballistol offers a refillable “fine point oiler” which is the perfect tool to lubricate very small areas. It’s basically a fiber- tipped pen filled with Ballistol oil. To oil the desired area, the pen has to be primed by repeatedly pressing the tip down on a hard surface. The tip will then be soaked in thin film of oil. The fiber tip fits perfectly in the razor handle top and can be moved around to thoroughly apply a thin oil film to the threads. The same can be done easily with the threads on the head. There is no risk to over- saturate the handle with oil.

The pen contains 15 ml of Ballistol oil and can be refilled if it’s empty. It’s a very practical tool to increase the lubrication on these threads if it is needed.

I oiled the threads on the titanium parts within seconds, without any mess or too much lubricant within the handle.

I thought that this may be helpful for those of you who are having problems with the DSC titanium handles.

A big thanks to @Iridian for pointing this product out to me and the very good advice and recommendations on how to solve this problem.

Attachments

• IMG_6985.jpeg
    IMG_6985.jpeg
    814.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6986.jpeg
    IMG_6986.jpeg
    824.2 KB · Views: 17
As I mentioned in some posts before I’ve been having some trouble with screwing the DSC Ti handles on the AX Ti head. Upon @Iridian ‘s advice I used some Q-Tips to remove titanium shavings and titanium dust from the handle threads. @Iridian also advised me to lubricate the handle and head threads with Ballistol oil. Ballistol is a German lubricant which is non- toxic and doesn’t clump or gunk up the lubricated area.

To be honest, I haven’t heard of Ballistol before but this product seemed intriguing. After all the razor is in close contact with our skin and a non-toxic or non- allergenic lubricant would be the way to go. I guess something like WD-40 would work just as well, but I wouldn’t want that on my skin.

Now, applying an oily substance to these rather small threads may be messy and probably dipping a Q-Tip in oil would work okay. However, I found that Ballistol offers a refillable “fine point oiler” which is the perfect tool to lubricate very small areas. It’s basically a fiber- tipped pen filled with Ballistol oil. To oil the desired area, the pen has to be primed by repeatedly pressing the tip down on a hard surface. The tip will then be soaked in thin film of oil. The fiber tip fits perfectly in the razor handle top and can be moved around to thoroughly apply a thin oil film to the threads. The same can be done easily with the threads on the head. There is no risk to over- saturate the handle with oil.

The pen contains 15 ml of Ballistol oil and can be refilled if it’s empty. It’s a very practical tool to increase the lubrication on these threads if it is needed.

I oiled the threads on the titanium parts within seconds, without any mess or too much lubricant within the handle.

I thought that this may be helpful for those of you who are having problems with the DSC titanium handles.

A big thanks to @Iridian for pointing this product out to me and the very good advice and recommendations on how to solve this problem.
Iridian is a top bloke when it comes to Razor advice and maintaining them. He has hit the bullseye every time I've asked him for help. Now I've learnt something new as well. Thanks Buddy.

IMG_7010.jpeg

Outstanding shave with the AX Ti 1.55 today. It’s very light on its feet yet still very responsive. I’m still amazed about its efficiency. But there is a reason for a bit caution: a few more passes than needed will cause some light irritation. A light touch and knowing when to call it a day is definitely recommended.

It’s still a very comfortable shaver but definitely not on the mild side.

View attachment 1862797
Outstanding shave with the AX Ti 1.55 today. It’s very light on its feet yet still very responsive. I’m still amazed about its efficiency. But there is a reason for a bit caution: a few more passes than needed will cause some light irritation. A light touch and knowing when to call it a day is definitely recommended.

It’s still a very comfortable shaver but definitely not on the mild side.
I ran through a few Blades with it. I found the Nacets to be a bit edgy in the 1.55 and the Feather as well as the Gillette Black Ninjas weren't enjoyable in it either. They left me with a bit of irritation. For me, the Wizamet Super Iridium was a match made in heaven for this Razor and that's the only one I use now, super smooth while maintaining their sharpness quality.

You're right about it being efficient and not mild. I've developed a default light touch with all my Razors and I find the 1.55 Ti very nimble and easy to control. The only area I'm a tad bit careful with is the upper lip as that's my weak spot. Haven't had a nick or a weeper with this though.

By the way, Love the Zino Davidoff EDT, that's a real classic. Been awhile since I saw a bottle of it.

I ran through a few Blades with it. I found the Nacets to be a bit edgy in the 1.55 and the Feather as well as the Gillette Black Ninjas weren't enjoyable in it either. They left me with a bit of irritation. For me, the Wizamet Super Iridium was a match made in heaven for this Razor and that's the only one I use now, super smooth while maintaining their sharpness quality.

You're right about it being efficient and not mild. I've developed a default light touch with all my Razors and I find the 1.55 Ti very nimble and easy to control. The only area I'm a tad bit careful with is the upper lip as that's my weak spot. Haven't had a nick or a weeper with this though.

By the way, Love the Zino Davidoff EDT, that's a real classic. Been awhile since I saw a bottle of it.
I'll test Derby Extra's this and next week in the AX, the V92 and my Rocca. It will be interesting to see how they perform in increasingly larger blade gaps. Surprisingly the Nacets were okay for me in the AX, but I used each blade only once and then binned it. On a second or third shave they may behave very differently. I also tried the Suneko Amorphous Diamond blades in the AX, and while they are very good blades they are quite aggressive in the AX. The Suneko blades are tamer on the second and third shave.

The Zino Davidoff was a FOMO purchase for me. I used to have a bottle in the mid 90's, but I recently read that the fragrance will be discontinued and I had such good memories that I snagged up a bottle. It performs surprisingly well for an EdT and it is still a steal at around US$20 for a 125ml bottle of the stuff.

I do not what the throw a monkey wrench in discussion but both DC & Yaki do a CLONE or Copy of the WR-2 Razr head, the $1,000,000.00 question is who does the best job, most consistence QC, and what is the most bang for buck?

Seems like the AX has been out of stock for a long time. The 1.55 Ti has been the only thing in stock. Curious if they plan to restock ever.

Seems like the AX has been out of stock for a long time. The 1.55 Ti has been the only thing in stock. Curious if they plan to restock ever.
Was check theism, appears to be F/S, if I sprung for one it wold her SS, then. I would need Handel and that is another what to buy.

Ti-1.35 and 1.15 are never available any more. SS 1.55 is available usually. The zamak 3-plate for $19.84 is almost always available. It comes with a handle of your choice.

I have a 1.35 Ti. Its aggressiveness and feel are absolutely identical to a Karve Christopher Bradley with the D-plate. These are pretty much* the only two razors I've used for awhile because I can do head-to-head blade comparisons with them.

*Assured razor challenge - a week of my shaving life I can never regain. Never again.

IMG_9312.jpeg

Another fantastic shave with the DSC AX Ti 1.55 & the Pioneer Ti handle.

I'm amazed how effortless this razor is. The head is incredibly light. When cleaning it, the top cap has the weight of a plastic piece, that makes it feel delicate but it's titanium so it actually is far from being fragile in any way.

The Pioneer Ti handle has some weight to it and that kind of balances the razor out very well. Even though I prefer heavy razors, this combination just works amazingly.

I had a Minora blade in today, and that was just something else. In the AX the Minora is absolutely smooth; so smooth that it feels like there isn't any blade at all in the razor. That's dangerous as I quickly discovered. I became cocky and nicked myself on the neck. I left it at 2 passes WTG today and got a solid CCS. I'm sure that more could have been achieved, but it's good to sometimes know when to just let it be...or let it go...tending to the wounds of the daily shave battle.

I can confidently say that this was probably my fastest shave ever with a DE razor. That AX just effortlessly glided over the whiskers in no time.

P.S.: At present all DSC AX SS and Ti heads are out of stock on Taobao China. Also any S9, Z0 stainless steel heads aren't currently available. I believe that DSC hasn't got ANY of their SS or Ti heads on stock at the moment. Only zamak and brass versions can be ordered. Anything you can find on AE is a lucky find. Probably DSC has reserved what they have on stock for their AliExpress customers.

IMG_9568.jpeg

The AX is one of my top two razors, hands down. The other being my new Yaqi Harlequin. I loaded a third use Gillette Minora blade and was just stunned about the efficiency and mildness of the shave. An easy DFS+ without pushing it too far.

Another thing that amazes me every time is simply the weight of the razor. It feels at times like those disposable KAI paper razors I recently got just for fun. But the DSC Ti handles, whether the Pioneer or the Destroyer, add sufficient balance and weight putting the AX head right in the sweet spot of razor control. It's light, but in no way does it feel off at any time during the shave. This fascinates me to no end. The R89 with its in-house handle gives me trouble because the weight and balance are so far off that I don't feel in control of the shave; that's why I paired the R89 with the Destroyer handle very early on. That solved that problem.

DSC will hopefully soon have new stainless steel and titanium inventory. The latest info is that they do have some stock left but aren't willing to put it on sale due to quality concerns they have. They are looking to solve those issues and have new stock available soon, although they haven't given a timeline. In a way that is good news, because it goes to show that DSC is indeed quite concerned about quality control and have listened to various feedback and complaints about their recent products. Remember the stamping issues on the base plates.

In other words, it pays to be just a bit more patient and wait for the new DSC stainless steel and titanium line-up and hopefully quality will be better than ever.

Last edited:
Top Bottom