What's new

Favorite or best adjustable

I like my Muramasa and my Rex Ambassador for different reasons.
I really wanted the Blackland Osprey. However, i already have a blackbird TI, so i got the stainless blackbird lite. Not an adjustable, but having two identical razors with different plates would allow me to use both, or just pick one based on how much stubble i need to remove.
I usually don't adjust much during a shave. I just pick a setting and stick with it.

Aah yes, the eternal adjustable question for which there are as many answers as there are people who use adjustables. So here's my response to this burning subject. Whereas I used to have a fair number of adjustables the only one I currently have now is the Pearl Flexi OC. Solid brass, well made, heavy and bulldog-ish in looks. Also has a really grippy handle and is very affordable. It was shipped with 5 tucks of "Willys" blades that are not particularly good which means they'll be in the recycle bin when I remember to do so.
I use the Flexi on 6 so it's not really "adjustable" for me but it shaves extremely well and close. :thumbup1:
tempImageenWI62.png

Aah yes, the eternal adjustable question for which there are as many answers as there are people who use adjustables. So here's my response to this burning subject. Whereas I used to have a fair number of adjustables the only one I currently have now is the Pearl Flexi OC. Solid brass, well made, heavy and bulldog-ish in looks. Also has a really grippy handle and is very affordable. It was shipped with 5 tucks of "Willys" blades that are not particularly good which means they'll be in the recycle bin when I remember to do so.
I use the Flexi on 6 so it's not really "adjustable" for me but it shaves extremely well and close. :thumbup1:
View attachment 1756138
Just goes to show that YMMV. I also have the Flexi OC, but I consider the Willy's blades to be really good.

Most of my razors have ended up being adjustables.

In terms of wanting an adjustable that might have better under-the-nose ability, I suggest one of two adjustables. The Merkur Progress or one of the Gibbs clones like a Pearl Flexi, Yaqi (Ultima, Brass, or Final Cut), or Rex Ambassador.

The head dimensions on those, I think, are more similar to a 3 or 2-piece razor. I have the Progress, Pearl Flexi, and received a Yaqi "Final Cut" in the mail yesterday.

And what do you think of those 3 adjustables?

Thx,
-MO

The Major almost always posts in the third person as something of a writing exercise.

-MO
I think it's hilarious.

As far as the razors...

I've never had a mediocre shave out of the Merkur Progress 510. It is as aggressive as I need it to be, but I can do my passes quickly without worrying about drawing blood. Heft is good, as is balance. It is not a new design. It is a vintage razor from the 50s that's still in production, so it isn't like buying a first year production car and keeping your fingers crossed. I like its polished chrome look and believe the slick smoothness of the chrome adds a degree of lubricity when paired with slick soaps and creams. If I were only in this to get good, cheap shaves, the 510 would be a "one and done" purchase.

But that ship has sailed. Yesterday was my first outing with the Yaqi "The Final Cut" Gibbs clone. Bought mine on sale for $17. Even at a non-sale price, this is an excellent choice based on my first shave. Set on "4", plenty of blade feel. Had to go slower, but a shave as good or slightly better than my previous two shaves on that blade in the Progress. It is chromed zamak (as is the Progress), bright, shiny, and slick. Good, grippy knurling. And for a bit over $20, if it turns out you don't like it, you're out the price of dinner for three at Arby's.

I just couldn't bring myself to go for a stainless Gibbs clone like the Rex Ambassador or the Yaqi Ultima. So I ordered a Pearl Flexi. Machined brass construction, matte chrome plating. More heft than the Yaqi TFC. Mine's the open comb. I've only used it twice, but need to try it again to compare to the Yaqi. It is also aggressive and with plenty of blade feel. Although this is subjective, I think a "1" on the Flexi is like a "9" on my Fatboy. Of the three, this is the most "gadgety" and tooltastic. It comes with a base stand and 50 Willy's razors that I think are excellent.

If you research the Pearl Flexi, you may encounter old YouTube videos talking about uneven blade gap. Those were older iterations of the razor. Mine, ordered from Maggard's, is latest construction and has no such problems.
20231127_171054.jpg

20231117_213343~2.jpg

I only have two (modern) adjustables: The Parker Variant and the Pearl Flexi (both are safety bar, i.e. not open comb). The Variant is, as I understand it, a copy of the Merkur Progress with (IMO) a better handle with knurling. The Flexi seems to be a copy of the Rex Ambassador but in brass. As @AshleyC notes above, my Flexi doesn't have any alignment issues either. Both of these razors are manufactured in India and seem to be of very good quality, and both give me good shaves.

Super Adjustable or Slim since they have thinner heads, if not by much. For me, Fatboy, I like the shorter fatter handle.

The Major nearly forgot: he also has a Black Beauty. How do you fine fellows think it compares to the older Fat Boy + Slim Adjustables?
Sir! I will have to counter Kingfisher. While the Fatboy is an excellent and more rare piece of equipment, the Black Beauty is the better shaver for me. It's more nimble due to it's less bulky nature, and the black handle will allow you to bring it to covert night ops without being noticed, Sir. It's also less heavy and the handle is longer.

I would place both razors above the Pearl Flexi in terms of looks and smoothness.
The Progress is a very smooth shaver as well, but zamak and visually less appealing to me, Sir!

Another excellent option would be to wait for Heritage Collection Shaving to being out their stainless/brass version of the Gibbs replica. The zamak version they made was absolutely excellent.

/Edit I should probably mentioned that I've only had one shave with the Fatboy.

Last edited:
Sorry, but isn't the Muramasa close to 4X the price of the Progress?

-MO
Sorry, don't understand your comment. Question was best adjustable. My answer was best is for me Muramasa, if you want cheap adjustable buy Progress. I didn't compare Muramasa vs Progress..
And BTW it's more as 4x, Progress was 37 € and Muramasa close to 350 so almost 10x... Both are great

Last edited:
Top Bottom