Votes: 41 40.6%
  • Slim

Votes: 33 32.7%
  • I like both equally

Votes: 22 21.8%
  • I don't like either one

Votes: 5 5.0%

• Total voters
I guess I’ll tell you later tonight. I have always shaved with either a Slim or my new short SA. Never saw any reason to spend the extra money on a Fatboy.

Went to an antiques sale today and found this.

4D83EF71-4CB2-4DDC-973D-642617BF1E0F.jpeg

It’s a 1959 E4, and yeah, in as found condition. Grimy and soap covered. But completely mechanically sound. The price? $8.

I guess I’ll tell you later tonight. I have always shaved with either a Slim or my new short SA. Never saw any reason to spend the extra money on a Fatboy.

Went to an antiques sale today and found this.

View attachment 979689

It’s a 1959 E4, and yeah, in as found condition. Grimy and soap covered. But completely mechanically sound. The price? $8.
Awesome, congrats! I bet it cleans up well too!

Awesome, congrats! I bet it cleans up well too!

Oh it cleaned up very well with a hot water soak, scrubbing bubbles, and a few minutes with a stiff nylon brush. I didn't even polish it. Could still stand a bit more cleaning, but I'll get around to that eventually.

C74EE08A-31CA-4FB8-9499-42217D2F6888.jpeg

Hadn't shaved this morning because I knew I was going to the pool today. That meant I could shave tonight, so I used this, set on the same 7 I use with my other adjustables and loaded with a Brazilian Gillette Platinum Plus blade with three shaves already on it.

Early on I turned it the wrong way on my jaw and must have come within a micrometer of a cut. Felt the poke, and it hurt a bit, but drew no blood. Lucky. Also completely missed a spot on my neck that I had to go back and clean up. Got a BBS, took a little longer than I expected.

If I had been using a familiar razor I would have called this a pretty mediocre shave. For now I'm blaming the unfamiliar balance and handling - it is noticeably different from a Slim. If this were all I'd had, I wouldn't miss my Slim, but if a Slim was all I had, I wouldn't miss the Fatboy. I'm sure if I use it more I'll get used to it but when it's all said and done I suspect my original instinct was correct, which is that I wouldn't get a noticeably different quality shave from it and it would have been a waste of money to pay the going eBay rate to get one. I'm fine with what I paid for this one and it can stay in my house for at least a good long while.

The shave was finished off with a splash of this, also acquired at the same sale, for $6. It is Clubman Friday, right? That's a full 8-ounce glass bottle, the address on the back has a zip code so I'm guessing probably late 1960s through the 1970s on this one. Scent is less intense than a new plastic bottle, but I like it better that way.

BA5D78A5-75AF-4FE1-956A-EE9F8E4C90D6.jpeg

View attachment 977862 View attachment 977863 I have this Fat Boy and three SLIMs. Chris replated my 1964 SLIM, and it looks brand new. One of my SLIMs is new old stock with case that I probably paid too much for, but exuberance got the best of me.

I found this Fat Boy for $10 at an antique store and sent it to North Shore Razors. I don’t shave with these that often, but they are iconic to me. I like them both, but I find the SLIM a bit easier to use.

That is an awesome looking razor!

I like the "195" for it's classic look and feel. However I prefer the "Slim" for it's better maneuverability under the nose.
IMG_9788.JPG

Fatboy for me. But just barely. The shaves are identical for me. But I slightly prefer the weight and thicker handle of the fatboy.

I have one of each. Use them both occasionally.

I’ve only used a slim, and actually really enjoy it. I recently purchased a Fatboy so I’ll be able to compare the two soon.

D

dangerousrazor

Though both of them are not my cup of tea, I voted for Slim. The head of Fatboy is too bulky, making shaving under my less maneuverable. Besides, Shaving with slim is more consistent than Fatboy.

I have and enjoy shaving with both. That being said I do find myself using the Fatboy a bit more than the Slim.
It's just a little better feel in my hand, maybe a bit heavier feel for me.
I'm just happy to have one of each!
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

For me, it's the Fatboy and it's not particularly close.

I had a Slim and I liked it, but I sold it and never procured another one. I had one Fatboy, loved it, made the mistake of selling it. After that I hunted another one down. It is one of only a few razors that I promised I would never, ever sell. Actually I've been using it the past few days, including this morning. Set at 7, it's a perfect razor for me.

Ask me 5 years ago and I’d say Slim. Stumbled upon a fatty in the wild and could not resist.

I’d had a fatty many years ago when I was new to wet shaving and didn’t like. Now it’s my choice over the Slim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, after a couple more shaves with the Fatboy.....I strongly prefer the Slim.

The Fatboy handle is too short. I have big thick hands, and I can keep three fingers on the Slim handle to balance it properly but can only fit two on the Fatboy handle. So I have less control over it, and it's too heavy for me to get away with that. Lighter razors with handles that short work out okay. But my Slim and my Super-84 are just exactly the right length, as are my Gem Micromatics, and the MMBT probably has the best in-hand feel of any razor I've ever used. My Super-109 is too long and doesn't balance well when I hold it.

So I guess I'll be sticking with my Slims, my Super-84, and my Gems. My Fatboy faces an uncertain future in my house.

Top Bottom