What's new

Does anyone know what year these Fatboys are?

I have two Fatboys. One is a slim or standard. I'm curious if someone could tell me what year they are. I was trying to understand it on the internet, but I can't find anything that has me confident.

My understanding is the Slim is an E1 and came out in 1961. I'm not sure about the shorter Fatboy. I can only find the Executive and Red Dot D-1, which I think is the 1958 model. I don't have that one. The reason I'm asking is because I want to send the shorter one in for a tune up and I just want to make sure I know what I am sending in so I can make sure I get the same one back.

signal-2024-01-11-164908_002.jpeg

signal-2024-01-11-164908_005.jpeg

signal-2024-01-11-164951_002.jpeg

signal-2024-01-11-164908_003.jpeg

There is a date code stamped in them. I can't remember where ... Super Speeds have it on the bottom of the baseplate but I think the Fatboys' are inside the bay when you open the butterfly doors. Look around and you'll find an alphanumerica code like F2 or E1. If you find it, we can tell you when it was made.

I have two Fatboys. One is a slim or standard.
I was on eBay the other day and was amused by how many old Gillettes are labelled Fatboys, whether or not they were the "195" model from 1958-1961, or even whether or not they were adjustables. (Obviously, because Fatboys bring higher prices and now have a "rarity mystique", there's been some name creep in the marketplace.)

The slim was so-called because it was not a fatboy (though Gillette never actually marketed the 195 as "Fatboy").

I was on eBay the other day and was amused by how many old Gillettes are labelled Fatboys, whether or not they were the "195" model from 1958-1961, or even whether or not they were adjustables. (Obviously, because Fatboys bring higher prices and now have a "rarity mystique", there's been some name creep in the marketplace.)

The slim was so-called because it was not a fatboy (though Gillette never actually marketed the 195 as "Fatboy").
Okay, that is really helpful. The slim looks like it is an H2 and the other shorter one looks like it is an E1. I saw those but since they were on opposite sides of the handle I didn't realize they were meant to go together.

I guess I don't need to worry because the E year isn't the more expensive one.

TTOs are adjustables and Slims and Fatboys are both Fatboys, per ebay sellers.

TTOs are adjustables and Slims and Fatboys are both Fatboys, per ebay sellers.

EBay sellers have no clue and say whatever they think will get the highest price. The E1 is the Fatboy, and the H2 is a Slim.

Referring to this chart will help you get the date down to the quarter, at least since the third quarter of 1950:

The letter denotes the year and the number gives you the quarter. Previous to 1950, the date codes were on the blades instead of the razor, so once the original owner had used all the blades, it was a guessing game.

Cheers mate! I am going to give the E1 a test drive this weekend. The H1 has some slight pitting on the safety bar so when I get a little more discretionary income I'll replate it.

Don't use Razor Emporium.

You have been warned. Feel free to search it out. It's a giant can of worms.

I wasn't planning on it. They are really expensive. I was going to go to Back Roads Gold. I have a 1934 Red and Black that I bought for $3 and I was going to test run Back Roads Gold with it.

If it comes back nicely, I will send the H2 for re-plating.

You are the first person that I read that had problems with them. All their reviews are really positive.

Top Bottom