Votes: 41 40.6%
  • Slim

Votes: 33 32.7%
  • I like both equally

Votes: 22 21.8%
  • I don't like either one

Votes: 5 5.0%

• Total voters
I own both and like both pretty equally. They both deliver a good shave. Slims are a better value, IMO as the price of Fatboys has really blown up in recent years.
Fatboys are probably the most iconic of the vintage Gillettes though.

Fatboy for me. I do have both and have considered it carefully. The handle of the FB feels better in the hand and just feels "nicer" in general. The head geometry is slightly different, maybe the FB suits my technique a little better. But honestly, they're SO similar.

I do like the Slim better than the black beauty. The BB feels a little flimsy after the other two! But again, almost the same shave. At least for me.

I have both and both are great. Despite the fact my wife paid too much on the bay for the Fatboy (it was a gift and still very much appreciated), I prefer the Sim (which was also a gift from my FIL when he found it one day when I was visiting). But I generally like lighter razors.

I voted for the Slim!

Three reasons:
1. This was actually my first razor (a hand-me-down) back in the day.
2. Better availability at more reasonable prices.
3. Great shavers! (I knew, you could say the same for the FatBoy.)

Just my $0.02!

My Fatboy sees a lot more use than my Slim, but the Slim never disappoints when I do pick it up.

My Slim is a slightly more efficient shaver than my Fatboy but I really get BBS with both. I’d probably take my Fatboy over any other razor I own, including my Timeless and Rex. Something about that thing I can’t explain. The Fatboy just feels more special to me than any other razor. I would never give it up.

I bought a Slim on the bay to get back to an adjustable DE and use it daily. I just recently received a Fatboy that belonged to my grandfather. Haven’t tried it out yet. I used my dad’s Fatboy when I first started shaving.

I have three slims and two fat boys and I love them all really. The slims consist of a stock 64 and a 64 Delta Echo Cubano Edition. The third is a 66 Aristocrat. Two fat boys are 59 and 60 respectively.

Fatboy by a long shot. The heft and balance is more comfortable. The head geometry gives me a much smoother shave.

My Slim sees very little action these days. I might take it for travel occasionally, for fear of messing up or losing my Fatboy were I to take that instead.

Did someone say Fatboy Slim?

That’s the joke.

The Gillette Slim has been called that for a very long time.

When internet shaving forums cropped up, and they needed a name to describe the older adjustable, they chose “Fatboy” as a play on it being a counterpoint to the “Slim”.

You won’t find the name “Fatboy” in any Gillette literature or in any contemporary written material at all.

That’s the joke.

The Gillette Slim has been called that for a very long time.

When internet shaving forums cropped up, and they needed a name to describe the older adjustable, they chose “Fatboy” as a play on it being a counterpoint to the “Slim”.

You won’t find the name “Fatboy” in any Gillette literature or in any contemporary written material at all.

Someone did actually locate a letter from a Gillette executive from the early 1960s that referred to the 195 as a Fatboy when the Slim was introduced. It was either on this forum or elsewhere. I believe this came from a Gillette archivist. I’ll try and locate and post if I get time.

Top Bottom