What's new

Advice on an Ultrasonic Cleaner

Should i use one for my razors or will they damage the plating?
The razors i need to clean up or a fatboy, slim, Super Speed, and flair tip

I have been using ultrasonic cleaners for many years now, and haven't had anything damaged ever. A video from a road biker, claimed (and in his experience), ultrasonic cleaning has damaged anodized parts. I have never had any such experiences, cleaning everything from motorcycle and bicycle parts to jewelry to razors. I use a small amount of dish soap and fill the cleaner with warm water. I have an old Slim that was sticky and gross when I got it, and now it is smooth and clean.

I have been using ultrasonic cleaners for many years now, and haven't had anything damaged ever. A video from a road biker, claimed (and in his experience), ultrasonic cleaning has damaged anodized parts. I have never had any such experiences, cleaning everything from motorcycle and bicycle parts to jewelry to razors. I use a small amount of dish soap and fill the cleaner with warm water. I have an old Slim that was sticky and gross when I got it, and now it is smooth and clean.
Thanks for the info

Do i need to worry about the number paint on the fatboy and slim wearing off by using an ultrasonic cleaner?

The paint would have to be loose already, in order for an cavitation to occur between it and the base metal. If you have access to a cleaner, Just throw a bunch of scrap/ crap in there and see what does what. For many years, I was using an industrial grade machine, but now I just have the Canadian Harbour Freight equivalent, and it's been very good, albeit less powerful.

The paint would have to be loose already, in order for an cavitation to occur between it and the base metal. If you have access to a cleaner, Just throw a bunch of scrap/ crap in there and see what does what. For many years, I was using an industrial grade machine, but now I just have the Canadian Harbour Freight equivalent, and it's been very good, albeit less powerful.
Thanks for the heads up, o found and inexpensive one on amazon for $40

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
The paint comes off.
My advice is don't get one with the controls on the lid.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Looks like that might work well.
I used to use one for pen parts, carburetor parts, razors until it crapped out. Next will be a larger more industrial one.

What I use and I’ve done for many razors. Also nice for jewelry, watch bands, gun parts.

I vary between very hot water (can keep your hand in without burning but pushing it) with the plastic basket and dawn dish soap for softer gold plate since it comes off the vintage Gillettes easily to simple green mixed with water brought to a boil for nickel razors That are obscenely dirty Directly in the ultrasonic without the plastic bin.

numbers come off, buy some testors semi gloss black for $3 and call it a day. The black rings on Fatboys can come off too, so warm water for less time is better there With milder soaps.

Ive been having a hard time getting to the post office or I’d say save the money and send it to me and pay return shipping.

What I use and I’ve done for many razors. Also nice for jewelry, watch bands, gun parts.

I vary between very hot water (can keep your hand in without burning but pushing it) with the plastic basket and dawn dish soap for softer gold plate since it comes off the vintage Gillettes easily to simple green mixed with water brought to a boil for nickel razors That are obscenely dirty Directly in the ultrasonic without the plastic bin.

numbers come off, buy some testors semi gloss black for $3 and call it a day. The black rings on Fatboys can come off too, so warm water for less time is better there With milder soaps.

Ive been having a hard time getting to the post office or I’d say save the money and send it to me and pay return shipping.
How hard would it be to reapply the testor?

How hard would it be to reapply the testor?
I mix the testors with a toothpick since it’s small and tends to separate, remove excess, then dot the numbers with a toothpick (dont put so much that it runs). Wait 3-5 minutes, wipe off excess with a paper towel and let sit for a day and do again if necessary. I try to do it twice and it delivers a result that is nearly indistinguishable from something new old stock. For reference the left is my “beater“ Fatboy where the numbers have been filled in and the right is one where I’m pretty sure it was unwrapped and stuck in a cabinet somewhere and forgotten.

Attachments

• IMG_4402.jpeg
    IMG_4402.jpeg
    995.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I mix the testors with a toothpick since it’s small and tends to separate, remove excess, then dot the numbers with a toothpick (dont put so much that it runs). Wait 3-5 minutes, wipe off excess with a paper towel and let sit for a day and do again if necessary. I try to do it twice and it delivers a result that is nearly indistinguishable from something new old stock. For reference the left is my “beater“ Fatboy where the numbers have been filled in and the right is one where I’m pretty sure it was unwrapped and stuck in a cabinet somewhere and forgotten.
That looks really good.
Would the ultrasonic cleaner mess up the handle of my black beauty?

Legion

Staff member
The instructions for my u-sonic cleaner specifically advised against using it with plated items. But it also seemed to tell me to avoid most things I'd want to use it for, so...

The instructions for my u-sonic cleaner specifically advised against using it with plated items. But it also seemed to tell me to avoid most things I'd want to use it for, so...
I will try it on my flair tip first before using it on my slim or fatboy

Legion

Staff member
I will try it on my flair tip first before using it on my slim or fatboy
I threw a gold slim adjustable in there the other day. It was jammed on one number, so damn the torpedoes, since I’d tried everything else to fix it. It didn’t unjam it, but the plating didn’t fall off. For what thats worth.

That looks really good.
Would the ultrasonic cleaner mess up the handle of my black beauty?
It can

The handle seems to be resin coated (I know everyone says anodized but it doesn’t peel off like it is anodized) so if the water is too hot it can have pieces melt off. Very warm water seems best for these As well as milder soaps/cleaners. You’ll get a lot of opinions, some based off experienc, chemistry knowledge, and the like. Personally I use warm water and dawn dish soap although you’ll find people that say it can damage the handle (I just post my personal observations) also do the same for black handle superspeeds, if I want to preserve the ring on a Fatboy, or gold plating.

It can

The handle seems to be resin coated (I know everyone says anodized but it doesn’t peel off like it is anodized) so if the water is too hot it can have pieces melt off. Very warm water seems best for these As well as milder soaps/cleaners. You’ll get a lot of opinions, some based off experienc, chemistry knowledge, and the like. Personally I use warm water and dawn dish soap although you’ll find people that say it can damage the handle (I just post my personal observations) also do the same for black handle superspeeds, if I want to preserve the ring on a Fatboy, or gold plating.
Thanks for all the info

Top Bottom