What's new

Expressions of Lavender Week

I bought a tub of the AOS Lavender from my local Nordstrom a couple of weeks ago and it was very dense, almost Castle Forbes consistency...the AOS Sandlewood I picked up from Las Vegas recently was not at all...both shaved very well though...just a bit more whipping on the Lavender obviously...curious to hear what you find with your replacement. Sounds like the Harris will be a must try...

A dear friend from this forum was kind enough to send me a sample of T&H lavender to complete this thread. Very impressive stuff. The scent reminds me a lot of the old Taylor's formulation - very soft and nice, without the zip of some of the more newfangled creams. The shave was superlative as well. This is one to seek out.

I thought I would dig up another old thread, since I acquired a couple of new lavender products. Today was Vulfix lavender cream. I really don't understand why these creams were so panned when they first came out. I have always liked the "baked cookie" aroma of their sandalwood, and I really enjoy the lavender as well. This one is in the vein of the original Taylor lavender - a fragrance oil scented product that honestly doesn't smell that much like real lavender, but is a very complex, enjoyable aroma. If you like T&H lavender, you will like this one even better. They are similar scents, with the Vulfix having a slightly sweeter edge. A good shaver as well.

Tomorrow - QED lavender shave stick :drool:

Lastly, I bring to your attention the QED lavender shave stick/soap. Though I have most all of Charles' soaps, I did not pick this one up until recently. After all, lavender sounds so pedestrian when comparing against B&B, Special 218, Grapefruit and Peppermint, etc. Au Contraire! This is the real deal - in your face pure lavender EO in its minty, perhaps even cheesy, goodness. Just a great smelling soap, and with that incomparable QED shave. Don't miss it.

I concur with the Lavender from QED.

In my opinion, Charles' best effort, but (in reality) the soap just allows the healing nature of the Lavender essential oil to do its natural job of healing your skin.

I don't even use an aftershave after shaving with QED Lavender; there's just no point since the soap is so moisturing.

-joedy

I really don't understand why these creams were so panned when they first came out.

Aye Scotto. A question I asked at the time of their unveiling. I felt(and still do) that the Vulfix creams were unfairly panned by a couple of "experts" from some time before this forum. . Suffice it to say that I tried the sample of lavender then and thought to myself, why the negative review? It is not going to knock CF off my pedestal but it's a thoroughly decent cream that performs quite well. Interestingly, since then almost everyone I've seen post about actually trying it gave it more than passable grades. Definately worth a try I think.

Regards, Todd

OK, Scotto. You've inspired me to finish off the dry dregs of my old AOS Lavender tub tomorrow, and maybe go back to my Taylor's Lavender soap (which I haven't liked very much) on Sunday. Wish me luck!

I already had D.R. Harris Lavender, AOS Lavender and CF Lavender...then someone revived this thread and reminded me that I did not have any Taylor's Lavender yet. So, I dropped by Knox Cigar today and picked up a tub of the Taylor's. It's certainly a great Lavender scent. I'll give it a shave in the next few days and report back.

Funny...18 months ago I didn't even like Lavender and now it's one of my top shaving scents. :confused: I even have a bar of Yardley of London Lavender bath soap in the shower now! Oh yeah, and some Thayer's Lavender Witch Hazel on board as well. :wink:

PottyDoctor...who's adding Vulfix Lavender to his ever increasing 'Wish List.' :thumbup1:

Funny...18 months ago I didn't even like Lavender and now it's one of my top shaving scents. :confused: I even have a bar of Yardley of London Lavender bath soap in the shower now! Oh yeah, and some Thayer's Lavender Witch Hazel on board as well. :wink:

Heck Ron, before long I'll have you convinced that Castle Forbes lavender is really your favourite lavender cream. Welcome aboard my friend. I too used to think of lavender as well, girlie-man stuff. Hey, even a curmudgeon like me will admit the folly of this. Lavender rules the shaving roost for a reason!

Regards, Todd

Lastly, I bring to your attention the QED lavender shave stick/soap... This is the real deal - in your face pure lavender EO in its minty, perhaps even cheesy, goodness. Just a great smelling soap, and with that incomparable QED shave. Don't miss it.

I'll try to not miss it, as well as the D.R. Harris lavender shave cream tub. But I have an overarching question: from where/whom to buy, here in the US? The price for the 150g tub from The English Shaving Company is $22.75, plus $9.10 S/H (tax-exempt), for a total of $28.46 -- contrast this with The Nashville Knife Shop, with a price-tag of $26.99, plus $8.50 S/H (UPS Ground), for a total of $35.49 -- a $7.00 difference, in favor of buying from the UK!

G-d only knows what I'd pay at Nordstrom's or other upscale stores. Is there a B&B listing of "good vendors" here is the US? Does anyone have a personal listing? Internet sources?

That $8.50 S/H for UPS Ground reminds me of eBoy sellers who "load" the shipping cost...

Classic Grooming sells the Harris for $28.00, and shipping seems reasonable($5.95 to Texas).

I've never ordered from them and haven't seen them mentioned here so can't vouch for anything.

But if you want to shop non-Brit it looks as though Classic Grooming is owned by Carter and Bond of London. So....

It's expensive no matter what. I have gotten it in the past from the Gentleman's Shop. There is a place in the U.S. I have gotten it from, but I have completely forgotten what it was. :redface:

D.R. Harris Lavender sells for $30 at Knox Cigar. They are in my hometown so I sometimes drop by a pick up something and if I ask they will usually give me 10% off of many items. I don't know if they would give a discount to B&B members or not...might be worth asking. I just picked up the Taylor Lavender there last week, at half the price of the Harris. I will test it tomorrow to see how they compare. Will D.R. Harris be worth twice the price of Taylor? Stay tuned for the rest of the story! :rolleyes:

Today's shave - QED Anise & lavender soap. This is one of my top 3 QED scents. It merges the licorice qualities of anise with the subtle background of minty lavender. Really a wonderful scent. And the shave? Typical QED - loads of slick, scented lather. Nothing cuts as close. This scent tends more towards the anise than the lavender, but the combination is sublime. The perfect accompaniment was the L'Occitane Eau de Badian, with its intense anise notes.

Well, eight months to-the-day since you posted this (and I read it), I ordered myself a tub of QED "Anise & Lavender" shaving soap. It arrived yesterday afternoon, and I used it this morning. It's every bit as good as you described, and I thank you for having done so.

Now, I'll have to wait a bit until I can purchase some of that "L'Occitane Eau de Badian"... hopefully, less than eight months. :wink:

Top Bottom