What's new

Expressions of Lavender Week

I'm not going to bite on the Violet. The sample I had from Trumper was truly gross. Of course, I am sure it will smell delightful on you.... :lol: :001_rolle

Scotto said:
I'm not going to bite on the Violet. The sample I had from Trumper was truly gross. Of course, I am sure it will smell delightful on you.... :lol: :001_rolle
If I am lucky, perhaps battery acid or urinal cake?:lol:

Actually, I like the description "smells like a whore's handbag", which has been applied to that monstrosity Taylor no.74 original as well.

Scotto said:
Actually, I like the description "smells like a whore's handbag", which has been applied to that monstrosity Taylor no.74 original as well.
Know any nice handbags west of the Mississippi and north of the Indian Meridian?:tongue_sm

Scotto said:

I've never heard a more accurate, and colorful I might add, description of my absolute favorite Trumper cream...Violet! Now I know how to describe the fragrance to those who ask "what's that scent you're wearing today?" :lol:

However, would "harlot's handbag" be more politically correct? :biggrin:

Lavender is my favorite cream/ soap... In all fairness I haven't tried the CF.. .but have compared Dr. Harris to Taylor... now, I prefer the pure essential oil smell and I also like a thicker consistency in a cream so the winner hands down goes to Harris (I really wanted to like the much cheaper cream better)... now, I have a fresh container of QED lavender soap just waiting for my new savile row brush! That should be a treat.

-Brandon

HeadandFaceShaver said:
Lavender is my favorite cream/ soap... In all fairness I haven't tried the CF.. .but have compared Dr. Harris to Taylor... now, I prefer the pure essential oil smell and I also like a thicker consistency in a cream so the winner hands down goes to Harris (I really wanted to like the much cheaper cream better)... now, I have a fresh container of QED lavender soap just waiting for my new savile row brush! That should be a treat.

-Brandon

Brandon,

Same conclusion I've come to. I just bought a tub of Dr Harris Arlington today. I now have all 3 Harris creams...will try the Arlington soon. So far, Dr Harris Lavender is my favorite Lavender [it trumps Castle Forbes in my book]; however, AOS Lavender is on the way and I will soon make a comparison. Dr Harris is at the top of my list in my cream rotation!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
So I was out driving around, minding my own business, when suddenly my car veered into the Garden State Plaza parking lot and came to an abrupt halt in front of the entrance to Nordstroms, whereupon two burly but well groomed gentlemen dragged me to the mens department and forced me at gunpoint to purchase totally unwanted shaving supplies. Not satisfied with my selection of T&H WI Limes cream, I was compelled to buy an additional tub of AOS Lavender cream. I hope my wife understands the great danger I was in and appreciates my good fortune in escaping with my life.

Damned if'n that new tub of lavender isn't twice as dense as my previous one.
BTW, the lime looks terrific, as well.

Attachments

• $bowdown.gif
    265 bytes · Views: 338
No reply from AOS to my inquiries. Don't they know I am the legendary Scotto?:mad3:

Ah, well, my tub is very dense as well. More interestingly, I had SWMBO do the blind sniff test between my old and new tubs. They are indeed very different. Her comment on the old tub with the more minty thang goin' on - "Smells like blue cheese". Dang it if she isn't right! It has the sharp aroma that does indeed smell cheesy (in a good way).

:w00t:
Scotto said:
No reply from AOS to my inquiries. Don't they know I am the legendary Scotto?:mad3:

Ah, well, my tub is very dense as well. More interestingly, I had SWMBO do the blind sniff test between my old and new tubs. They are indeed very different. Her comment on the old tub with the more minty thang goin' on - "Smells like blue cheese". Dang it if she isn't right! It has the sharp aroma that does indeed smell cheesy (in a good way).

Maybe one of the Sue's can develop a 'Blue Cheese' shaving soap. Use it just before ya' eat hot wings! Or maybe a 'Blue Cheese 'n Hot Wings' soap!! :w00t:

UPS just dropped off my AOS Lavender Shave Cream. I did not own the 'old' AOS Lavender, so I can't make a comparison there. The density appears to be somewhere between Dr Harris Lavender and Castle Forbes Lavender. I tried smelling AOS, DRH and CF. The CF seems to have the strongest scent, but definitely different than AOS. The DRH and AOS both have a sweet smell to me. I'm by no means a fragrance expert. I'll see how it goes with it in a day or two.

ouch

I've noticed that scents seem to fall into one of two broad categories for me. In the first case, the scent seems much stronger on my face than in the tub. An example would be Salter's outrageous veitver cream. Fairly strong in the tub, but overwhelming on my mug. When I use it, I feel as if I have strips of bacon stapled to my face. The opposite case seems of occur far more frequently, particularly with lavenders. The AOS, for example, has a very intense fragrance in the tub, but seems extremely mild while on my face.

Anyone else notice any such anomalies?

ouch said:
I've noticed that scents seem to fall into one of two broad categories for me. In the first case, the scent seems much stronger on my face than in the tub. An example would be Salter's outrageous veitver cream. Fairly strong in the tub, but overwhelming on my mug. When I use it, I feel as if I have strips of bacon stapled to my face. The opposite case seems of occur far more frequently, particularly with lavenders. The AOS, for example, has a very intense fragrance in the tub, but seems extremely mild while on my face.

Anyone else notice any such anomalies?
Yup! Your nose interfering with the stapled bacon, or is it the eyes crossing the eggs up?:lol:

Well, I got a sample of the Harris Lavender from a dear friend. Very impressive indeed. I have to admit I am a Harris lover; I just adore their stuff. This cream is a very dark purple color, and has a very interesting scent. It is sort of a cross between the old Taylor formulation that used fragrance oils and some of the other true EO scents out there. Very masculine, and of course with that fantastic Harris shave. I will certainly be purchasing a tub of this in the future.

I've tried Coates, Taylor and QED - my favorite by far is the QED in terms of scent - like all of Charles' products, the QED lavender has a very strong pure lavender scent that you smell as soon as you open the tub and just gets better as you build the lather.

I don't find that it lasts at all (a characteristic that I like in a soap/cream) and doesn't interfere with my choice of a/s or edt.

ouch

Both of the Pasteur locations only have the Harris lavender in tubes, no tubs. Harumph. I hate tubes, as I feel that I'll never get out every last bit. I think the tubes were around $16 for 75g, compared to a much more reasonable $25 for a 150g tub. I'l try again next week.

After my commentary on my new tub of AOS lavender and how it was different from the old one, they are sending me a new tub and requesting the old one back for testing. We shall see if there is a difference.

I also got a gracious sample of T&H Lavender from another forum member, so I am anxious to try that out as well. The lavender tasting continues!

PottyDoctor said:
UPS just dropped off my AOS Lavender Shave Cream. I did not own the 'old' AOS Lavender, so I can't make a comparison there. The density appears to be somewhere between Dr Harris Lavender and Castle Forbes Lavender. I tried smelling AOS, DRH and CF. The CF seems to have the strongest scent, but definitely different than AOS. The DRH and AOS both have a sweet smell to me. I'm by no means a fragrance expert. I'll see how it goes with it in a day or two.

I must truthfully admit I am a bit underwhelmed with the performance of the AOS Lavender. :ohmy: But then, I was a bit underwhelmed by the CF Lavender as well. :ohmy: Of all things, I have been adding a couple of pumps of Kiss My Face Lavender to both the AOS and the CF when I use them and that combination really produces an outstanding lather with a great scent. :biggrin: D R Harris Lavender still rules my lavender land! YMMV.

The Harris is special stuff, I agree. After my sample expires, I'll definitely splurge on a tub (or two).

Top Bottom